Note to New Members ×

carte blanche Donek (REV/FC/Proteus/Madd Killer)

pow4ever

A big thanks to the ECES organizers and sponsors for another fantastic event!!

It's just mind blowing seeing so many awe inspiring rider tearing it up.

I was ready to quit snowboarding on Monday but by Friday I just can't stopped ridding/smiling!!

Stilling dreaming about it today...

Anyway I won a Donek @ the banquet.

Love to hear all opinions on what one should get.

Especially the difference between REV/FC/Proteus in Donek's line up.

I should have demo but the condition were challenge enough for me that called for familiarity.

Madd Killer is what I was thinking first but it might over lap with the short board I already own and afraid that it's too specialize(+lack of skill on my part).

This is what I am thinking:

Inspired by: http://forums.bomberonline.com/index.php?/topic/37210-donek-rev/?p=415495

Length 175

Waist 19/20

SCR:  11-14

A board that work great on Classic New England narrow/"firm" condition and that also fun out in the west coast.

Thank you for your time.

David

Edited by pow4ever

Briefly, as a fellow east coaster, I found the Rev far more suited to me than the proteus. Variable scr, more stable. I kept getting back on the 180 (11.5-20?). Felt like I was going over the nose of the 168, 185 was giant sized, 170 too soft, 175 was fair.

Btw, I'm 180, 6'4. The Rev and I enjoyed long strolls through the meadow and quick cuts through the narrows. Match made in heaven.

Briefly, as a fellow east coaster, I found the Rev far more suited to me than the proteus. Variable scr, more stable. I kept getting back on the 180 (11.5-20?). Felt like I was going over the nose of the 168, 185 was giant sized, 170 too soft, 175 was fair.

Btw, I'm 180, 6'4. The Rev and I enjoyed long strolls through the meadow and quick cuts through the narrows. Match made in heaven.

Thanks you for the feedback and the laugh Lucasgo!!

Me and my board shared a more "physical" relationship lol.... /cry

ouch

FC: Quiet/damp, large variety of turn shapes, forgiving.

Rev: Very quiet/damp, even larger variety of turn shapes.  A bit more demanding, but has incredible edge grip when you ask it nicely.  

Proteus:  Quiet/damp over small bumps (Yay for metal/rubber!), gives a ton of energy back at the end of the turn.  Less variety of turn radii, but you don't care because it's fun!  

Pick the sidecut radius/length you want for your riding/terrain.  

• Like 1

I'm on a new to me rev 175. Still nursing a cracked rib from a fall at ATC with a backpack that threw me off balance and into a sweet chest slap. I'm 210 and the rev I have has a slightly larger radius than stock but is of current construction. This board only came with UPM inserts. Riding it with an f-plate. At ATC, I tried the af plate as well. I liked them both for different reasons. The af added a touch more edge hold but I felt it more than the f plate. The f plate just let me know it was there when I needed it. I'm really loving this board and I'm chomping at the bit to get another couple days on it this season. Not until SNES though (California Carver Classic at June) The size is just right for letting it run or diving in deep. Thanks Sean!

Edited by slopestar

Thank you workshop7!!  It sure seems like there is a huge Proteus following.  Were you @ ECES?  I saw someone on standard and just ripping it and laughing the whole way.

Slopestar:  Heal fast and well!!  Thank you for the additional insight with regards to various type of plate. 

• Like 1

My Donek Experience started on a Proteus 170 and that was a nice board, it was probably a little too stiff for me, but I made it work.  Lots of tail pop out of that and it certainly was an entertaining board, but it was a one trick ride. The versatility for me was not present with this board.

Then I found a 2013 Carbon Rev 185 (100% experimental build) 14-20 side-cut on the Donek preseason/demo sale and that was an AWESOME board for the first runs of the day when nobody was around.  TONS of edge hold and amazing turns if you had the speed and real estate. I ended up riding with most of the weight on the nose since it would just accelerate down hill if I didn't.  I sold it to a local snowboard racing coach because it was too big to fit into my snowboard bag while traveling. 

Which brought me to the next board, a 2013 Metal FC 175 11.5-13.5 side-cut off the shelf board which was amazing.  I'd still have it today if I didn't win a Coiler at SES 2015.  The FC has nice turn shapes, damp, composed, crud busting, beautiful gloss top sheet.  No bad things to say about the square tail FCs, it seems that the turn shape was just right for me, I preferred riding that board and rode it as much as I could.  In fact I modeled my custom Coiler Nirvana very much after the Metal FC.

I also had a 2013 160 Glass Saber - super awesome board for soft booting, I sold it due to being more into hard boots and not seeing Ryan Knapton's riding soon enough and really understanding binding set up.

At ATC, I rode my F2 Silberpfeil 163 the most, which leads me to believe that I would really like the Legacy.  I really wished I tried out the Legacy and the Rev 163.  I've heard nothing but good comments for both.  When I asked about the Rev 163, I heard a lot of "quiver killer".  Big open runs, tight trails, low traffic, high traffic: grab the Rev 163 and ride all day. 

I know what you are going through, I had the same feeling last year.  I hope you are able to decide on a board and get some turns in this year on your new board.  Congrats!

Edited by breeseomatic
  • Like 1

Thanks Joe for the detail response!!

Yes!! Me losing sleep over snowboard decision is kinda sad lol...

It's not even an original thought: this is what i am thinking

175 REV construction (ice/edge hold)

19 waist (faster edge transition)

just ever so slightly softer nose for easy turn initiation

modify SCR: 11(nose)/14(tail) (more free carve friendly)

David, what are are trying to fill in your quiver? I know you have an Oxess that is a shorter board?  For New England trails Jack and I had Sean build us a 163 Proteus that is perfect for narrow icy trails up here in the East Coast and is a great board. I have spent a lot of time on this board and love it.

Both the boards are very close in specs.

Mine:

163, 19.5, 10m

Jack: 163/20/10.5

The Rev's are great boards but they are race specific boards and are designed to accelerate out of a turn. This translates to not getting that nice hook filling you get from a Proteus or VSR board. I would stay away from any side cuts that have 18-20m in the tail, you'll find yourself going away to fast after your 3rd carve and will need to scrub speed (you can toss that statement away if you are riding in hero West Coast snow). I have a custom REV 185 and had Sean dial down the size of the side cut to 12m in shovel, 14m center and 16m or so in the tail. This make the board fare more manageable  in New England.

Or your get a custom REV 170/175 and have the side cut go from 9/10m in the shovel, 11/12m mid, to 14m max in the tail. This would be similar specs to Bruces popular Nirvana VSR boards.

Interesting philosophy difference: Coiler does tight nose, big underfoot, and medium tail for most sidecuts.  Donek does a continuously increasing sidecut from nose to tail.   That has to be a big factor in the ride differences between the brands. 

Great points Corey never put the 2 and 2 together but it make perfect sense.  

Love that Coiler Trademark:  save-you-tail tail  :1luvu:
BTW awesome riding(amazing video)!!  Only if talent can be bought lol.

Geoff:  great question to put things in perspective:

It's mostly to replacing an old Coiler VSR

Trying to build a 2 boards "quiver killer" (for traveling and cut down board confusion).

Current rotation:

185 SG GS

173 JJA GS

173 Coiler VSR(bought new) <-- Still ride well but start to show it's age.

160 Coiler Angry(bought new) <-- warp edge due to "off piste" riding... still an epic day. 

163 Oxess BX <-- replacing the Angry.

Interesting philosophy difference: Coiler does tight nose, big underfoot, and medium tail for most sidecuts.  Donek does a continuously increasing sidecut from nose to tail.   That has to be a big factor in the ride differences between the brands.

is this a new thing? earlier rev editions were 10-14-12 up to 12-20-16

Edited by kieran

Trying to build a 2 boards "quiver killer" (for traveling and cut down board confusion).

Current rotation:

185 SG GS

173 JJA GS

173 Coiler VSR(bought new) <-- Still ride well but start to show it's age.

160 Coiler Angry(bought new) <-- warp edge due to "off piste" riding... still an epic day. 

163 Oxess BX <-- replacing the Angry.

I don't see a powder board in that list.  If you don't have a powder board that can carve decent, then I would suggest a Nomad or similar board from Sean.  Take a carve and powder board on your travels and you have your bases covered for most snow conditions.

Edited by breeseomatic

I rode everything in the Donek tent a couple of years ago at SES and the Rev was my favorite because the carves were so smooth and precise compared to all the others. I asked Sean why and he said the Rev design was a departure from everything he made before, designed mainly from the input and feedback of the SSWSC riders and coaches. 

I'm very happy with my customized 175 "safari" rev with a near single sidecut (11-12m). It's easier to get it to complete turns compared to the vscr of the standard Rev.  

I would recommend that you use this opportunity get what you would consider the ideal board for where you ride most so that you get to ride it all the time.  

Hi David

From looking at your quiver and since you're in the east coast I would go with 170~175 in length and a 12~14 or 11~13 sidecut, to grip better on ice the board should be built for 10~15 pounds lighter than you. Don't know the donek boards but I would go with what is closer to freecarving.

You did not put the Dynastar 4807 in your quiver, if you still got it then you do not need a pow board.

Man your life is tough!