Note to New Members ×

Off Season Training Regimen

General Tsao

While I am already in the process of getting in better physical shape this year overall, I am interested in reaching out to the forum to see if anyone had an off season training regimen specific to carving/racing they would be willing to share.  Thinking specifically if any racers out there have something that their coaches may have given them to follow in the off season.   I have a new board from Bruce on order and I want to be able to do it justice next season.

Thanks, in advance.

<-- Not a racer.

Squats and interval training on a treadmill worked wonders for me.  Every year I've been doing more and I've felt better and better.  I recall barely being able to walk after day 2 of my first SES.  Definitely not enough squats leading up to that!  

I've been doing the 'pick up heavy things, put them down, and repeat' routine (Stronglifts.com 5x5 routine) for the past month or so and plan to continue.  I'll let you know next winter if it worked!  A racer may not want the extra upper-body strength/weight, don't know.  

• Like 1

I'm not a snowboard racer, but I am a Cat 2 bicycle racer and a high school soccer coach. Lots of squats, lunges and sprints. You will have more success if you have fun though!

Play as much as you can. Ride bikes and skate. Long distance skateboarding(search LDP)involves millions of little carves, and or millions of little one legged squats. It helps to learn to kick with both legs.

Bowl skating has been a huge one for me. Massive forces pumping transitions and round walls. This one isn't for everyone, but it gives me a lot more respect for the fitness and strength of some of those kids you see on X-games!

• 4 months later...

Nice bump!

I'm continuing of with the weightlifting and better eating. It takes about 45-60 minutes every other day, and I stretch for 30 minutes on the off days. I'm squatting 220 lbs and deadlifting 250 lbs. Those aren't very impressive numbers to people that have been lifting for a long time, but I'm very happy after 5 months of effort!

I've lost 40 lbs (7" off the waist), and am much stronger! Previous nagging back pain is almost gone! Now I have a real issue; I have numerous boards all made for a 210-220-lb guy while I'm in the upper 170s. Talk about first-world problems!

• Like 1

Now I have a real issue; I have numerous boards all made for a 210-220-lb guy while I'm in the upper 170s. Talk about first-round problems!

That's not a problem, but a great excuse to buy more boards! ;)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Nice bump!

I'm continuing of with the weightlifting and better eating. It takes about 45-60 minutes every other day, and I stretch for 30 minutes on the off days. I'm squatting 220 lbs and deadlifting 250 lbs. Those aren't very impressive numbers to people that have been lifting for a long time, but I'm very happy after 5 months of effort!

I've lost 40 lbs (7" off the waist), and am much stronger! Previous nagging back pain is almost gone! Now I have a real issue; I have numerous boards all made for a 210-220-lb guy while I'm in the upper 170s. Talk about first-round problems!

Just ride more aggressively, you were too smooth to begin with.  And how will we recognize you at ATC, you'll probably need new outerwear to fit the newer, slimmer Corey.

Haha, that was supposed to say "talk about first-world problems"...  Damn autocorrect!  While replacing the quiver sounds fun, my bank account disagrees with that option.  My stiff 182 NSR will definitely be for sale once things pick up around here in the fall/early winter again.  

Yup, the orange/green/blue jacket will be retired.  Or maybe I can find the same one in a Medium?  Probably not - I've got enough crap over the years for that choice already!  

Was just thinking about this thread this morning.

Like Corey, I've managed to drop 40lbs through diet and exercise over the last 6 months.  I've been in a "losing" phase and now starting to concentrate on building strength and adding flexibility.  

The drop in weight has added a hop in my step across the board...and I'm not wishing summer/fall away....but I have to say that I am really looking forward to the upcoming season.  

Stronger, lighter, happier...and looking forward to riding the new Coiler!

RC

I've discovered road biking and have been burning up the miles.  Weird.  Never thought it would be so much fun!

Dropping weight too but not like the ppl above.  Still more to go.  But seriously, when does this summer thing stop?  Need snow!

Realistically, any form of physical exercise will keep the positive mental state ready for the snowboarding season.  include consistent stretching with the chosen physical activity.  Even with intense physical training, unless you are doing the same movements in the summer as you would on a snowboard in the winter, the body still has to acclimate to those new movements.  Being is some form of physical and mental shape will lesson the recovery time from the 1st day on the snow.  The other important aspect that many fail to recognize is to stay hydrated.  A dehydrated muscle (very common), will fatigue very quickly and performance will rapidly decline.

I'll add this;  I put Curt on a Slalom skateboard a couple of decades ago. That changed much. Why? Because of muscle memory. Riding a longboard/slalom/DH/cruiser/Carvestik type of board, on a moderate hill is close to 75% of the exact muscle movements needed for carving a snowboard. Tarmac, however, is far more consistent than snow-pack. That's bad in that the variables are fewer in grip, edging, turn radius, and textural feel of the surface you're upon. But, It's GREAT for building predictable, consistent movement patterns! You can sort out just what works, and even 'toy' with the moves as you go, because the changes aren't You adapting to the snow from one run to the next, but instead, it's You finding out which moves are best, in a repeatable context. How far you push this, well, that's up to you...

I love Surfing, and admire those who do it well; but I know they have had to find the best movement patterns while being in a very changeable environment. Thus, I've seen that Surfers haven't dissected every move made the way that Skiers have. Style still reigns in Surfing. I believe that Style still is the key to good snowboarding, but also, having the technique down sets a foundation that can be stylistically built upon. Once you've culled the 'bad' moves from the muscle memory, and discovered how You best make the right moves, you can relax and let the flair of Style take a hold. Where that can take you is up to your imagination, and physical abilities...

• 2 weeks later...

ST Lupo, I agree!  While I have, for almost 3 decades, promoted the Skate,Snow,Surf, H20Ski, Wakeboard as the way to go for crosstraining, I find that mixing it up is really good! As I get older, pushing the limits on any one (or three) joints isn't a good game plan, while staying Mobile and Flexible and Strong is good stuff.

Besides, chasing after my 9 yr. olds has taught me that 'specific' conditioning does not apply. They live at a pace I can't reciprocate unto, lest, I strain body parts that shouldn't yet find their limits...  The Ol' heart still thumps, but at It's pace, not at theirs.

• 2 weeks later...

Weight training 2-3 times a week with an emphasis on legs (squats, lunges, and leg-extensions).  I'd like to do more but I'm awfully busy this year.  If I'm able to go 5 days I add elliptical or cycling (10-20 miles, brisk but not killer pace).  

As the season approaches I intend to replace the weight training sessions with Tim Grover's Jump Attack formula - a masochistic program of plyometrics designed to increase explosive power and flexibility.  I found it worked well for me last year in getting some of my vertical jump back.  It seems like it should translate well to snowboard racing but I didn't get out enough to give it a fair test.