Note to New Members ×

Burton suoer model 174 "made in VT"

RobertAlexander

If you've been on a Steepwater, Arbor A-frame, Nidecker Proto or Tanker, you'll not like how soft the Burton feels. I rode plates often on Tankers, but I'd likely not run plates on a Supermodel, as I'd risk folding it, at speed. It's a good board, quicker turning than you'd expect, and sits up and floats decently. Torsionally, it's only moderate, and in overall flex, it's only stiff near the tail. If you do ride with plates, use Burtons or F-2's, as the lateral flex of those will keep the board playful without driving it past it's limits of adhesion. Now, as a softboot board for general romping (what CK designed it for) and freeriding, it's an 8 outa 10, with good marks for dealing with slush, chop, windpack and powder. It's likely to have a niche in the quiver, but don't put Catek OS or Bomber plates on it...

Those used to be the standard board for heli-boarding around 1997. That's a big one, so for people heavier than me, I rode that model maybe only twice on a couple of really big days. Always ridden hard with standard F2 race bindings.

Once you've ridden one in powder, you'll probably not like the way those "hard boot" boards ride there any more. These were "breakthrough" boards for me - when I realized that what you need in powder is not what you need on piste

They were superseded by .smaller designs with taper in the 2000s. I still have mine (a 168) somewhere, I don't think they will have any value as they were very common at the time. I would not personally ride one as there are better alternatives these days, and no cost difference between boards which are more than a couple of years old (they're all worthless unless they're rare and someone collects them).

Here's a shot from 1997 of the 168 (which was lighter blue, same basic design):

427625_3170900603269_443333892_n.jpg?oh=

(and I do know about the Kanji)

Edited by philw
  • Like 1