Note to New Members ×

The Nokian WRG3 Tire gets some competition!

Jeffrey Day

I've been doing some research on what tires I would like to get for my VW. I have to replace my Hakka R tyres due to premature sidewall separation...which I'm very disappointed in as I they only have 3 winters on them???

I've had the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D years ago and was very happy with them. So was thinking about trying out the Dunlop Winter Sport 4D. Not a bad price on tirerack either.

Also thinking about trying out the Nokian WRG3, seeing that most of my driving is on dry pavement, mostly.

Then I came across a new tire that is in the All-weather rated class. It's the Toyo Celsius Tire! It's got the Mountain Snowflake rating, 60K mile warrantee and H-rated speed rating. All good so far. The only drawbacks is it is only a standard side load rating and doesn't come in my tire size.

Anyone have these Toyo tires yet?

One option is to get a new set of rims to match the tire you want. As long as the stud holes are the same ,  and the offset and width is the same. You can find this info at "tire rack.com" or others.    Example: Many newer subarus are going 17" or 18" and the snow tire choices have not caught up. So I am using 16" ,  the p225r65/od and aspect ratio, is still the same, just a different inside diameter. Steel winter rims have gone up in price plenty,  so check CL first, your neighbor might have  a set for you.

Toyos are fine. I drive in hardcore winter conditions so Ive got lots of exp with winter tires.

First, if you are serious about driving in the winter then forget about all-weathers. The best all weather will pale in comparison with the worst winter tire. However, if you live in an area with mild winters (with daytime temps constantly above 7 C) then Id go the all weather route, as high temps will result in premature wear, and invest in a set of good chains.

Second, Id recommend getting a second set of rims (with the same ET) for your winter or winter-biased all-weather tires. Why? Because you DONT want to use the same tire size as you use in the summer, youll probably even find such a recommendation in your cars manual. If you dont have it see the tire pressure sticker on the drivers door, itll have all the manfuactuer recommended tire sizes or check a forum dedicated to your car. I recommend going down one size (so 17 to 16") and choosing a narrower and taller tire (conservative ratio is go down 10% width and up 10% aspect ratio). You need to check a tire calculator to see how far you can go size wise and also how much the speedometer will be off. Getting a narrower tire is more important than going taller.

Im more extreme as I demand maximum performance in the snow, so one car runs 15" 205/55 in the summer but 14" 185/70 in the winter and the other 17" 235/45 summer but 215/65 16" in the winter.

I'm with those guys, get a spare set of winter tires on cheap steel wheels, unless you want to spend money on cool wheels:)  It gives you the ability to change them yourself, you get half the miles on each set, or whatever your split is, and then each tire is designed for the conditions.  I happen to have some Kumho winter tires that I got very lightly used from someone on Craigslist who got a new car and the tires didn't fit.  This is all for my 2009 Scion xB.  I also have a 2010 Mazda CX-9 that I only have all-season tires on but it is AWD so I give myself a little more leeway on it.  Also my wife only drives it ~500 miles a month and our winters in MN have been pretty pathetic lately.

On my little Scion FWD they made a big difference from the stock tires, and on my old Mazda5 wagon it made a HUGE difference because that thing had aggressive tires.

Also ask yourself if you drive in snow or on ice more. Some of the ice tires have very few grooves to grab loose snow so they don't work that well.

Then some of the snow tires with lots of lugs/grooves don't have the surface contact you want on ice.

Running Michelin X-ice here, one rim size down and a little narrower and taller for an overall diameter same as summer. In recent tests they are a dead heat performance wise with the Nokians. On my 7th season with them, no troubles.

I've thought about getting some X-Ice tires. A winter tire that has a 40K warrantee!

Edited by Jeffrey Day

Yea studs are another option but overkill if you arent driving in snow all the time. Id also add that the age of the tires is quite important, the rubber hardens over time making it less effective. So when buying new make sure they were actually produced not too long ago, or buying used 2/3 years max. I do not drive in winter tires over 5 years of age.

The Toyo Celsius seems like it is still a compromise as it isn't a true winter tire.  If I had AWD I would consider them so that I didn't have to own a complete set of separate winter tires.  (Yes, I know this has limitations.)  My current car is Front Drive and I use Michelin X-Ice tires mounted on super cheap alloy rims.  I bought them on Discount Tire Direct and had them UPS shipped to me all mounted and balanced.  Given that I own so few things, this set of winter tires is actually the largest single possession I have outside of my car itself, and they are very worthwhile.

I should mention that when I bought alloy wheels and X-Ice tires over the phone from Discount Tire back in 2011 I was initially given the sale price for the set as there was a promo on both the tires and a full set mounted.  It was already a pretty good deal I thought, but when the sales guy asked me how it sounded, I said "Yeahhhhh.... That sounds great... But I wonder... Could it be somehow even less than that?"

The sales guy immediately took another $100 off the total price.  I didn't even have to tell him about any comparison prices.  All I had to do was ask.  I wonder which business is uglier?  Tires or Mattresses?

Edited by ExcelsiorTheFathead

I have the Nokian WRG (various generations) on my Fit and Odyssey.

Works wonderfully on the Fit, got 90,000km on the first set before it became a 4 seasons tire instead of winter tires.

I leave them on year round. 

Works just as well as X-Ice I had on them in the past in the snow/ice of Ontario.

I find them not as good on the heavier front wheel drive Odyssey (have the SUV version on them), so on minivan/big SUV, bigger thread winter tires are better IMHO.

But for smaller car, can't go wrong with the Nokian WRG (the newer generation is much quieter and better on gas too).

• Like 1

There's whatever the newest studded Hakka is, then a couple other tires, then everything else. Running a stud less tire for the first time in over twenty years this winter. They're alright, but they're not the Hakka. Wearing like crazy too. I'd get three winters no problem out of my studded tires. Be surprised if I get a full two out of these. ( Blizzaks)

Edited by dingbat

Way back , I had good service with Bridgestone Winter Slalom studded,  I got 7 seasons with them on a lesabre.  at about 6k/season.  and they where still good when I stopped using them and sold them.   But I did find nokia haks studded on CL , full set for $200 with 5k on them, and there is nothing that compares to them.