Note to New Members ×

boot size for the umpteenth time.

1xsculler

So, if 1xsculler measures their foot and it measures 28cm, how did you come up with 30.5??? Just curious.

Anyways, my foot measures 24cm long( or short! ), so I wear a 24mp boot.

So 1xsculler, I would lean towards a 28mp boot, especially if it comes with a heat moldable liner ( Deeluxe Thermo-Flex liner, etc.)

Just my suggestion.

Edited by Jeffrey Day

Mondo size chart from boot mfg. converts us size to metric but as we all know they mean nothing unless you try on the actual boot. It's close but not close enough to bank on. Try before you buy is my rule. If you have the luxury of actually having the boots in your hand you can do the foot in the empty shell fingers behind your foot thing. Then you do the small volume, large volume liner game. I'm size 11 use a 29'5  Track 700 shell with a Scarpa 30.5 liner. But don't go by what works for me.

Edited by lowrider

US 12.5 is Mondo 30.5. 28cm is a size 10 US.  If your information is correct 1xsculler you are either a 10 or a 12.5 pretty big difference.

You really ought not to go off of shoe size... for example I wear anything from an 8.5 to 10 depending on the shoe brand and even the specific shoe within a brand.

The only reliable gauge is the foot length in centimeters.  Buy too big a hardboot and you'll be trading them in soon enough...

Just be accurate on your foot length and chose the corresponding Mondo sized boots.   Accepted practice is to size down for XX.5 cm and less   and size up for XX.6cm and above..  Ie 26.4 cm feet would take an M26.0.   26.8cm feet would go with M27.0.

I have 288mm foot(0.8cm) wear everything in US12 (-0.5) and it feels big to me. So you measured something wrong.
I can comment on UPZ boots: 312mm shell works well for me, especially with moldable liner. And sometimes I'm thinking of going 299 shell(that's 8.0), but I understand it will be painful in the beginning. Since your foot is smaller, you don't need anything bigger then 9.5 for sure. And I'd measure it once more and get a 8.0 boot may be (biggest FLO in 299 shell)

The purpose of mondo point is to have a universal system for boot length and sizing; none of this 41/42/43 stuff, no Euro vs. US sizing, just a basic cm length measurement of your foot...and internal sole length measurement of the boot. It is not rocket science, it is just confusing if you live in a country without the metric system (but if you can measure a foot in cm, as you have done, I think not so impossible.)

As a starting point, therefore if your foot measures 28cm long, then you are likely at first glance a mondopoint 28.0 boot.  BUT

- go for the shortest boot you can comfortably be fitted into, that might be 28.0 or could be the next size down

- racers sometimes can fit into a size smaller so you might be a 27.0/27.5 boot (most boots the half size is the same boot with a slightly thinner liner, so 1 shell = 2 sizes with different liners, irrelevant if you are using molded liners for the most part)

- some boots (UPZ I am looking at you) seem to run 3 sizes rather than 2, so for example, the smaller size UPZ will be 26.0/26.5/27 and the next size up is 27.5/28/28.X (maybe as high as a 28.5, but I think slight overlap for the next size up) so in your case, you would go for that boot size and almost for sure you can't go down a size, there is a strong likelihood you cannot fit your foot at 28.0 into a upz 26/26.5/27 shell but who knows I can't see it happening so easily, but with the right shape you might be able to do

- the odd person has extremely high volume feet meaning you go up a size; however I'd imagine a 29.0 boot for a 28.0 length foot would require some seriously screwed up feet

I started this topic and to clear up any misconceptions my Nike running shoe size is a US 12.5.  I used to wear a 12 but as I've gotten older my feet have become slightly larger which is very common.  I have a low volume foot and it measures 28 cm in length.

From reading the reply posts I'm really no closer to deciding what shell size I should buy.  I'd like to buy used boots and I think I would like to try a heat formed liner.

To sum up:

- Your Nike running shoe size is irrelevant for choosing your hardboot size. The mechanics of carving are different from running as far as your feet are concerned. Generally speaking, most people need less room (lengthwise) in a hardboot than in a street shoe.

- The Mondo size system is based on your foot's actual length. If your foot is 28 cm long, get a boot that is MP 28. Especially if they have moldable liners. This is why thermo liners only come in full Mondo sizes. When in doubt, size down, the liner will "give" during the molding process.

You have given conflicting information about your foot. If your foot measures 28cm buy a shell that fits that size. Moldable liners hopefully will make up the difference but it's not a guarantee. Different liners have slightly differing volumes. Heat moldable liners compensate for that difference better than non moldable liners. If your foot is 12.5 that translates to mondo 30.5 and that is much larger than 28cm. Carefully fallow the instructions on molding you liners because each step or missed step can have future consequences. I understand you don't want to make a mistake that results in costing you more money but given the fact that most peoples feet differ left to right it's pretty common to have a different fit foot to foot something you have to fine tune. If the difference in you feet is dramatic enough what works for one foot might not fit the other I would encourage you to measure both feet and choose a size that fits the largest.  If  you feel unsure of what you need you would obviously benefit from the advice of a boot fitter. For  size comparison sake at least trying on a few ski boots ( which might be more available )   could help you narrow the field. You foot volume  and calf size can influence size as well .Only YOUR feet know what works for you.  I can't tell you what is going to fit your feet but hopefully with the information in this post  You Can ,

I started this topic and to clear up any misconceptions my Nike running shoe size is a US 12.5.  I used to wear a 12 but as I've gotten older my feet have become slightly larger which is very common.  I have a low volume foot and it measures 28 cm in length.

From reading the reply posts I'm really no closer to deciding what shell size I should buy.  I'd like to buy used boots and I think I would like to try a heat formed liner.

Try not to get discouraged.  Buying boots is almost always aggravating, and most people buy the wrong boots at least once, if not several times.

Nike lost all sizing credibility a long, long time ago, so you can't go by that. (My feet are the same size they have always been, but Nike says they got larger?)

Nor can you go by the size marked on most boots, as manufacturers periodically change the internal dimensions, thereby obviating any relevance to the numeric sizing.  I used to ski a Lange 8 (26.0).

Now I'm in a 7 (25.5).

My foots didn't shrink.

Shell length itself is not the only variable.  You have to consider overall internal volume, and whether or not that's a good match for your foot. This goes far beyond 'net' volume (both boots hold the same number of green M&Ms, therefore they must be the same) and into the actual contours. Granted, you only have a few options in hard boots, and most aren't shaped much like a 'real' foot, but there are subtle differences.

Then there's the part where your feet may take different shape if they are supported by a quality footbed. Some feet get much shorter, others do not.

And of course, there's the part where the retailers sell what they have, not necessarily what you need.

Here's more: http://beckmannag.com/alpine-skiing/boot-selection

As Jim has pointed out,  lots of variables.  If you are near Vancouver, WA some time, stop by and you can try on either a MP 28 or 29 free of charge. I may have a used pair you can buy also.   Don't let this stop you from getting a pair either way.   Please DO NOT even bother giving your street shoe us size.  Only confuses the issue.  Follow the measuring guide lines provided at BOMBER

As Beckmann points out, your foot length may decrease with proper support. Mine measures about 29.6 cm flat on the floor, but about 28.9 cm with a footbed that does at least a little of the support job I need. I wear a Mondo 28 in UPZ or Deeluxe and most ski boots I've tried. That gives plenty of room for a liner, by the way. I can wear the boots all day buckled without even noticing.

- the mondo size of a shell is NOT the interior length, it's the manufacturer's idea of what length foot it would fit, WITH a liner, socks, etc. That's often assuming a seriously thick liner.

- Deeluxe's idea of this is: if your foot measures 27 cm UP TO 28 cm, then you "are" a Mondo 27, not a Mondo 28 and should use the M27 shell. My experience and others suggests this errs on the side of a too-large shell. So a 27 shell may be (probably is) fine for you. You'll need to actually put your foot in some shells to see; see Beckmann's guidelines, linked in his post.

- the key is to get a good (close) fit in the ankle/heel area. If the toe box is too tight it can be enlarged, but there's not much you can do to make the heel/ankle area smaller, and too much room here causes a number of problems: toe bang, heel lift and heel spurs, lack of control in bad cases.

Good luck. If you can't try them on before you buy, expect to go through several pairs before you find a good fit. Maybe you'll get lucky, but not too many do.