Note to New Members ×

UPZ size

Ladia

I got UPZ Abt about 2 weeks ago. According a foot measurement and my size of ski boots I am in 26.5 but the boots are so uncomfortable it is actually painful. Original liner seems to be stretched in toe area like nothing I ever saw in other linners I had. I tried thermoliners custom footbeds and boots are still to tight. Outside shell on UPZ is 287mm , my Dynafits 26.5 are 296mm and Scarpas even 306mm. Had anybody similar problem with UPZ ? I know my friend giving up on the same size 26.5 after one winter for the same reason. I am thinking to get 27.5 but I had RC 8 in that size, They were comfortable with thermoliners , but felt somehow strange, stiffer and I never made them work for me. Any tips?

Stick your feet in the empty shells and try to do a shell fit. 

The boot sole length as marked on the side is shorter than most snowboard boots and will be shorter then ski boots with outwardly extended binding ledges. It has little direct bearing on the inner foot space, especially between AT and snowboard boots. The ABT shell is likely marked with the sole length for the shell with SB toe and heel blocks installed, so will read short.

When my UPZ's were new, they were SO painful. I wore them around the house to break them in, and for the first few times I could only have them on my feet for five minutes before I had to take them off. They were so tight they made my feet throb. It took about a month of that to be bearable, much less comfortable.

They did break in, and then they were great, it just took a long time.

I went from the 26.5 to the 27's, which is the next shell size up, and that shell is significantly roomier around the middle of the foot. If that's where your problem is, you might need to go up anyway to get some more space.

Edited by Allee

Original liner seems to be stretched in toe area like nothing I ever saw in other liners I had.

Hi Ladia!

Did you manage to do a shell test? How many fingers can you fit? If you are in the sweet spot, the next step would be to check your original liner size. What size is it (liner size is in GB scale written in white on the liner itself)? Let me know the liner size and I'll tell you if it is possible to fit a longer UPZ liner in this shell. You can also take the liner off the shell, put it on and stand for 5-10 minutes on a flat surface. If your toes go numb or in pain you probably need to size up the liner.

Remember I told you that previously I had size 10 liners in my RC10 and at first they were a bit too tight and my heel went numb after several runs, but after 2-3 days everything became normal and now I have size 11 which is maximum possible liner size that still fits my shell size - and according to Den's size chart that is my "true" size - they are pretty comfortable since day one, but my heels are going up easily even with "heel teeth" installed. 

Edited by avante

Hi Max,

I did shell test it is OK, I talk to Dan he told me I am in right size. I check length of liner in comparison with the rest of my liners 4 different ones and UPZ liner is absolutely the smallest one about half of the inch on the average. I think this is the main reason. I also talk to Intuition guys and their recommendation was Universal liner at 27 for UPZ boots of my size. Again longer liner. You had the same problem and even Joe is in the similar situation. It makes in a little bit wonder about their liner sizing. It looks to me you buy the boots and better get a size bigger liner if you are at high end of their range. It sucks, but I planed to use Intuition liner anyway. I don't even know why I bought these boots combo Scarpa - Dynafit works OK, but I want little bit more forward lean. I hopes it will work or after I will be done with all improvements it can be another 6 hundreds down to drain. Thanks for answers guys.

Hi Ladia,

The liner being smaller than the shell is pretty common in ski boots. If you take the liner to a bootfitter they should be able to stretch the forefoot of the liner pretty easily. I would try this before upsizing, it shouldn't cost more than $20. Be cautious if you choose to upsize an intuition, the larger size will have more volume and may be very tight on the foot.

The flo liner is meant to stretch in the toe area, like the higher-end ski boot liners I've seen. There are three liner sizes per shell, and the ones with larger numbers are presumably the same length, but thinner, so there's more room left for your foot. I have had a few sizes and this seems to be true, but am not a UPZ expert so who knows.

If you're going Intuition, have a look at Intuition Pro Tongue liners. They don't have the thick foam on the sole to take up all the room. And they have the neoprene toe area like the flo... They may fit a size smaller shell; that is, you could maybe size up without crowding.

Basic idea: get the shell right, then mess with liners. Sounds like you have the right shell, but aside from what Dan says, how is the shell fit?

Thank guys. Problem is the liner, it is simply too short. I do not want make any stretching, liner is so thin in the toe now, after stretch it has to be a paper thin and these liners are not known to be warm at first place. I have two screws in my big toe joint so it is a bit sensitive to any pressure and cold. If I will keep the boots I wil try to sell brand new liner. I ordered Intution universal per their advice. I got it today liner is correct size but it is too short and not too much comfortable. It is getting a little bit frustrating. I will return this one and got Classic. I should go with my gut feeling rather than their experts.

Intuition liners stretch a bit for length when they are molded. Also they have moldable foam around the entire toe box. When they are molded this foam compresses and makes more room, hence the importance of toe caps. Generally an intuition liner will feel uncomfortable and too short prior to molding so you need a bit of faith and mold them. This is generally a reason to get a liner from a shop as if they are unable to get the liner to feel correct they will refund your money.