Note to New Members ×

Family trip

Gadwood74

We're looking for a family getaway next year (not this winter but in 2017 winter). My wife will turn 40, main purpose of the trip. Kids will then be 9 and 11, they're almost skiing experts already (we have a place in Mt Sutton, Quebec Canada - very challenging resort, we ride 30+ days a year). My 11 boy started on a little race Burton on hard boots last year, very good at his first try. I'm sure his sister will try it soon. I'm hard booting since 20 years+. Wife is also very good on skis, but no way to convert to a snowboard.

We're not sure on the destination: Alberta, B-C or Colorado. Would be end Feb/Early March. maybe other destination would be considered, but we'd like to go western.

It's important for us to have a place close to ski slopes (ideally ski in / ski out), but it is also important to be close to any other interesting things to do with kids w/o having to travel too much. One week stay.

Don't want to spend 20,000$ in a week, but not looking for a 75$/night deal either. We want this to be a memorable stay. Want to have fun for both skiing and carving.

Any ideas / recommendations?

If you're happy to spend a bit of money to have a good time, then Whistler would be a great destination. The US to Canadian exchange isn't likely to improve soon, and you can get killer deals on lodging and passes (Edge Card) if you book early. The resort is huge, and more than challenging enough for good skiers and riders. There's as many activities in and around the Village as your wallet can handle, top notch dining, good shopping and plenty of entertainment, and if you're bored with that you can easily hop a bus and be in Vancouver in a couple of hours. Van's a cosmopolitan city and well worth a day's visit.

The only advice I can give if you choose Whistler is not to stay in village central - it can get pretty rowdy in the centre at night. When I bike there I like to stay somewhere like the Summit (which by its pricing would appear to be cheap and cheerful, but is actually stellar) or the Aava. Both are far enough away from the crazy to be quiet at night, and still only a five minute walk from the lifts.

There's some wonderful resorts through Alberta and BC, but the problem is that many of them tend to be based in and around small towns that have limited options at night.

Edited by Allee

Thanks Allee, this is exactly the type of comment I was looking for. For whatever reason my wife would prefer US, but at 1.34 fx rate as it is now, the impact is important. Whisler is probably my top option. My wife been there a while ago already (like 25 years ago), I'm sure things changed a lot since then.

Yes I would agree with everyone , go to BC !   Whistler is the best place for everything , great riding , big mountain, great kids programs , and the village has great dining options for your wlfe's 40th bday .  There is the olympic stuff yet and plenty of other places to see within a 2 drive if you want to check out Vancouver .  You could book a day of heli if you wanted too also .  The vancouver BOL alpine riders are pretty active and always willing to meet up ?

However , Central BC is awesome too, sun peaks , revy , big white, silverstar all have excellent ski in ski out lodging , night tubing parks and great snow in a much more "family" atmosphere !  Revy probable has the best "ski town"  feel of those places. Central BC has the coolest and nicest group of people I have ever met! 

I am trying to put something together this year for my daughters too.(15 & 17)  Probably Whistler

post-174-0-56052200-1448909255_thumb.jpg

My favourite family hill is Big White, near Kelowna.  The mountain is quite large with a wide variety of terrain.  There is not so much sphincter-tightening stuff as places like Whistler, but there is enough if that's your bag.  If you want to carve, plenty of nice blue and green runs to choose from.  There is a terrain park of course if your kids like that.  The snow is almost always good there.

There is a lot of choice in on-hill accommodation, including true ski-in, ski-out.  You have to be a little careful in booking because some people say that when they mean you can walk to a place where you can ski.  You can easily rent a condo in the $300/night range, and you can find them cheaper and of course more expensive.  Look at ownerdirect.com for some of the better deals, but you can also go through central booking.

There is an excellent ski school/daycare facility, probably not a concern with your kids but it was great when our kids were little.  There are a number of restaurants/bars in the village, plus a grocery and booze store.  There is skating and tubing for kids to do in the evenings. 

Sun Peaks is a similar experience, but I prefer both the hill and the village at Big White.

Whistler will of course have more stuff to do at night, shopping and bars/clubs/restaurants.  We're going there for the first time this February, looking forward to it.

Edited by Neil Gendzwill

Wow, very good feedback I really appreciate.

We've been to Lake Louise and Sunshine Village +/- 15 years ago and we really enjoyed. If I remember correctly, I haven't seen one single other alpine rider in 5 days (or maybe one)...

Like the pic just above (from P06781), whish I could be there N O W !!!

Big White was one that I was looking for. I will read a little more on Sun Peaks as well.

Keep posting guys, all very interesting!

It's a "how long have you got" question.

It depends what you want. I don't know how much stuff costs, but I doubt there'd be huge differences assuming you pick your resorts carefully (you could pay more in Aspen no doubt, less in Revelstoke).

If you're staying in one place then you need somewhere respectably big I'd say. If you have kids you probably want entertainment for them. 

I've ridden lots in the places you mention (except Quebec). Of the places specifically listed..

• Revelstoke: too hard core I'd say. No real resort, not a "destination" resort. Too steep for most people. Good off piste. Hard to get to. Probably not what you want. In exactly the right place for the snow (although last year I think they didn't do well: too far south).

• Sun Peaks. Half an hour of Kamloops YKA. Kamloops is not a tourist town although it has the odd restaurant these days. The "resort" on the hill is developed and has good pistes and snow. I like it and ride there a fair bit. They're "in the right place" for the snow (so it's dry and there's a fair bit of it). 

• Big White. A bit harder to get to, depending on your flights. I have worked with the ski school here and I've never seen anyone look after kids better - it seems absolutely what they do. Bigger "resort" area than Sun Peaks. A good place for snow - last season they were all good. Quiet compared with (say) Whistler. Australian clientèle, no obvious shouty vomiting people. Not hugely characterful. A handful of places to eat, nothing fancy. Lots of "activities" other than skiing althugh all synthetic (sledding, slay rides, snow shoeing..).

• Silver Star. A smaller version of Big White (maybe still owned by the same people). I like Silver Star (out of Vernon) more than Big White or Sun Peaks, somehow. Fewer restaurants than Big White, nothing fancy again. Lots of "activities" other than skiing again. More local than Big White, which gets the Australian tourists. North of Big White but basically same snow, good last year.

• Whistler. A zoo. The closest thing to a European resort in North America, size wise. Has about 20 lifts (the three valleys has about 200, but even so..). Fully of UK and other package tourists, so a busy night-life, not a lot of real Canada there, all synthetic. Lots of riding, on and off piste. The snow hits there first, so they get more of it, but it's wet. Ride in the storm for best effect. Kind of busy. Lots and lots of non-skiing things to do.

I'd decide where you want to go, then you can fix the price thing I'm sure. I doubt Whistler would work as it is not really "family" in my view. Big White or Silver Star are.

if you don't at least consider Sun Valley....you should. Not if you are looking for steep rock filled chutes but all around great cruising, bowls as far as you can see. Ability to stay very close to lifts, contained enough that we cut our 10 and 14 years old skiers loose without a thought. And by that time of year the snow is usually good to great.

Not artificial at all. It's pretty authentic. But sorry about the exchange rate. Just a thought.

And you rarely have a lift line. As in ever. Sometimes on powder mornings at first.

Edited by carvedog

+1 for Sun Peaks. I have been taking the family for last few years.  Small crowds, wide runs, good grooming.  There's ski in ski out, but you're getting down to the wire for finding lodging.  Cost is very reasonable compared to the more popular neighbor to the west.

Whistler has every possible amenity to squeeze every last dollar from you.  Great mountain, but you'll be waiting in lots of lines.  Not a great value.

Revy is my favorite place to freeride.  No crowds, lots of steeps, but I did not enjoy it for carving.  If you consider heli and cat as "things to do" then it's a great spot, but definitely not a family friendly resort.

Whistler has every possible amenity to squeeze every last dollar from you.  Great mountain, but you'll be waiting in lots of lines.  Not a great value.

On the weekends, yes, it will definitely be busy. But midweek the queues are few and far between, especially as they're all good skiers/riders and won't have to stick to the intermediate lifts. The light board at the base is fantastic for planning your day and managing the crowds. My biggest concern would be with the snow quality, which can definitely be frozen cement at times.

I love Sun Peaks too, especially as a carving hill, but for a whole week it's pretty limited on entertainment options once you've tubed a couple of times, and eaten everywhere at least once.

Another option might be to spend a couple of days at Red Mountain, jump in a rental car, and spend another few days at Apex and Whitewater up by Nelson. Red Mountain's a super hill. I've never been to Apex and Whitewater but have definitely heard good things.

I agree Whistler is the spot but go in March or April by then the weather has improved and you will enjoy sunshine and powder. If you want a quiter scene choose Whistler Creekside area, oh and Whistler right now is a great value with the exchange rate I was just there last weekend. If you want perfect grooming, perfect snow and lot's of sunshine choose Sun Valley. SV is best JAN-FEB. Skip The Big Whiteout and go to Silverstar if you are headed that direction.  Have fun! 

I doubt Whistler would work as it is not really "family" in my view. Big White or Silver Star are.

As a Whistler regular (with kids 3/7) I would disagree. The whistler kids program is fantastic. We have our kids in ski camp every weekend and have nothing but good to say about our experience.

Terrain-wise Whistler has pretty much everything you could want. Lots of non slope activities. Stay out of Village centre. I prefer blackcomb base or bench lands area. Easy walk to the village and quiet.

When there with kids we aren't out super late, so haven't had any issues with the rowdy crowd. I go hard all day and am ready for bed by 9-10 anyway.

Happy to answer any questions. Would be nice to see another hard booter more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...