Note to New Members ×

Gondola Rack Scratches My Virus!

barryj

Well, during my storming at Nortstar yesterday my Virus UFC  got ghosted by the Gondola Rack   :confused:

Yes, top sheet scraches are gonna happen but this board is still pristine and I still got new car syndrome with this Virus, so anybody got any ideas if or how to buff these out??   As you can see in the photos, 90% just surface, a couple of minor scratches 

post-2478-0-42214600-1428949366_thumb.jp

post-2478-0-40580300-1428949375_thumb.jp

Edited by barryj

Get over it. It's just a used plank now !  Wet sanding with 1000 grit water paper and then rubbing compound then polish with wax. if that doesn't get it out wet sand entire board with 800 grit working up to 800 grit on most damaged area careful not to go deep enough to effect writing and recoat with automotive  clear coat urethane. Looks like the tail spikes weren't enough of a deterrent ! 

Used doesn't mean damaged!!!!

In the detailing word the saying is if you can run your fingernail over the scratch and it doesnt catch, you can buff it out. A rotary buffer with with a wool pad and some rubbing compound should clean everything up nicely. Start with a less agressive approach and if that doesn't work out then consider wet sanding, but 1000 grit is far too aggressive. Look at 2000 or 1500 grit first. I like Meguiar's Unigrit.

BTW, those scratches look like they came from something rubbing on the board, like during the car ride home. 

Did you use a rack to store the board or transport it on the side of a bus? The Aspen bus racks leave similar marks on the tails of boards.

Doesn't Virus use an automotive-style clearcoat on all their boards? If so, a simple car polish would make short work of that.

Metal gondola racks are bad for these scratches as well. Some lifties appreciate the value of a nice carving board and allow you to carry it on, others try to rip it out of your hands rather than allow you to bring it onboard. Usually doesn't show up on the surface of the board until after the water on it dries up then usually looks worse than it is. The clear coat is a two part urethane quite expensive for the amount you would use to do a board. If it doesn't buff out and you do the complete refinish stop by a local auto body shop and as them how much to spray it for you. Two coats wouldn't take more than 10 minutes when they are set up painting a car.

Edited by lowrider

I dunno about you guys, but I NEVER put my board in a gondola rack.

One windy day in Snowmass, riding up the gondola, I almost watched 2 Donek Revs, an SG, and a Donek bx board fall 60 off the lift. Haven't left it outside since.

Funny, it was quite a few years ago now but the same thing happened to me at Snowmass.  I think it was "Rest Day" at SES.  I was on a pair of Salomon 185cm powder skis.  Big gust blew them both out of the rack. I was pissed!!! The liftie had insisted they go in the rack.   The area was way down at the bottom and closed at the time.  Gave me a good reason to cut the rope and milk a untracked pow run to get them.   Patroller swung by and chewed me out but didn't give me too much grief. Traffic up the gondie was real low.  The base was on the bus route and handy for me. 

That's nothing...

I had Chris Prior slide over my Virus Vampire while he was trying to clip into his board... Several years later an out if control lady slid right into the lift line and straight over the Vamp.

It's all just battle scars, to remind you of all the milage and anecdotes on snow.

Still riding around with the cover sheet on my new now older coiler. I though I would remove it before I  sold it but I never sell anything so it's now a test to see how long it will last and if it will come off without leaving permanent scars on the top sheet.

Had the same thing happen at Northstar with a brand new Nidecker. Their racks suck.. Damn near had one fall out of a bus rack once. I always carry them in.

Years ago, 1st time on my BRAND new Burton Asym alp. In the lift line a 5 year old kid planted his pole on the front of my topsheet and pushed himself forward. SCRAAAAAPE!

Big nasty 8" scar, across the grain in the wood topsheet. I could see splinters. Worst topsheet damage I've ever had to this day, and I hadn't even ridden it yet!

Felt like throttling him, but what you gonna do? Just a kid, wasn't on purpose. Just glad the pole didn't end up in my shin.

Edited by SEJ