Note to New Members ×

What do you ride on Pow days?

Duke

...It's getting less and less possible for me to simply ride away from the destruction of a high-speed, bindingless crash, that would never have happened if I could have just "lifted" the board to a better line.

.... As an aside, I would love to perform an experiment one day, where I bring die-hard hardbooters to the cat-board op I'm involved with, to ride bindingless. With respect to angles, my feet migrate to the low single-digits front and rear when they're not attached and I wonder if this woud be the case for most people, regardless of their preferences?

On the second point I'm not sure which way it would work out. On the other hand I've no idea how I use my feet for surfing or windsurfing, except that I put them where they work. It's interesting, but it's not a factor for me ~ it's about what works for me, I have no preferences.

On your first point.. that's what stops me committing fully to no-boarding. I see soft boots as giving me nothing I don't already have, but no-boarding has something going for it. But I do like the ability to "lift the board", and I don't want to do it with a rope. Hmm.

Prior powstick. Usable with hard or softboots. Probably better with soft but I had hard so I softened the BTS as much as possible and backed the angles off to suit the width. a day of bottomless at Whistler. Even weight on both feet and safe as houses turn initiation. Maybe the best day snowboarding I ever had

Rad Air Tanker 200. I ride in hardboots with some slight changes and while I acknowledge it may be a handicap to really surf the snow, I feel its 10x better than any 'freeride' softboot comparative. I gave up taking two different pairs of boots/bindings (soft/hard) with me a long time ago, and I hope I don't want to start skiing again anytime soon...

• Like 1

Well, as long aw we are taking a stroll down "pow memories of yesteryear"; I had to go to Utah last week and while there looked up the old Winterstick location.  It just doesn't quite look like the birthplace of the powder snowboard anymore :(

post-6458-0-86030400-1426460946_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I ride a Burton Fish with Driver boots on deep days.  I will still ride a freeride board for pow if conditions are mixed, but when it's bottomless a dedicated powder board just floats better and the rear bias lets you ride with an even balance.  Also nice on those hero days to be able to drop off a natural feature into bottomless and feel confident that you won't be sent over the bars.

Because I felt I didn't need the support of hardboots, I switched to lace ups (modern lace-ups... No old tech). That "lack" of support then offered fine ankle movement, freeing up all kinds of subtle steering options, where any base vs. snow attitude could be made with the smallest flex of the feet.

As for softboots vs. hardboots, Rob nails it for me.  I prefer the ankle movement, but to each their own.  As I spend more and more days on hardboots, my opinion may change, but so far, I do not miss the more solid connection of hardboot and plates on a powder day.

here in the scenic northeast we had quite a few 6" to 8" powder days this season. I switched from a hardboot setup to a softie setup : rossignol one mag and Ride Boa boot and a really cool Ride iLL Eagle binding. one strap to buckle into and you go.next season looking to get a Rossignol xv probably 159 or 163 whatever I can find on sale.......this colder weather has been giving us east coast powder.....much fun.........

POGO (BINDINGLESS) POWDER SURFER ASUETO (Spanish for 'Day Off')

Check out the turns that this guy can make, in powder, without bindings!!  

Cool board design!

There are two videos, the first one is riding, the second is the rider in the demo booth explaining the details.  

http://www.pogo.biz/blog/pogo-powder-surfer-asueto-in-action/

This video is VERY cool as well, check out the names in the credits!

Rob

Edited by RCrobar

• 1 month later...

One thing that would seem to be a problem (for me) in pow with these boards being mentioned is camber.  I can't stand riding a cambered board in pow and burying the nose......so frustrating....though maybe its just my style that is the problem.  The Ultradream not only has rocker but also a fat nose....so it stays up for air.  Back in the Winterstick days I loved that fat, fat nose to keep afloat.  So....I don't see riding a carving board in pow though most of you seem to have success doing so.  For me it is/was more a question of plates on a pow specific board or just softies on the pow board....not "will the carver do well in pow".

Re: the lack of pow...I hear ya.  In fact, I played hookey from work Thurs trying to catch some promised snow at Targhee.  Mother nature didn't cooperate though and we got one single, hard earned inch.  I was quite bummed.  have been waiting all winter.  Targhee is legendary for epic pow....but we haven't had it this year (typed with a tear running down my cheek).  I think we will get it Sunday night but I blew my day off on Thurs :mad:

What do mean, back in the Winterstick days?  Winterstick is live and well, In fact you can still buy The Swallowtail, a modern version of what stated it all.  They have the New Seth Wescott pro, and I will be posting my experience shortly.  The issue is not camber, it is taper, a tapered camber board will do it all.

What do mean, back in the Winterstick days?  Winterstick is live and well, In fact you can still buy The Swallowtail, a modern version of what stated it all.  They have the New Seth Wescott pro, and I will be posting my experience shortly.  The issue is not camber, it is taper, a tapered camber board will do it all.

Good point Maine Bomber and I stand corrected.  I saw your other post and am envious that you have a stick (or two).  As much as I love the K2, someday when I have all the decks I need and some xtra cache in my pocket I will swap it for the new version of the classic swallowtail.  I look at their website about every other month....but alas.....not in the cards for me right now.

The original meaning I think you probably get though.  Back when they started it all and boarding was still pretty new and I was riding a Winterstick or two instead of hanging them on the wall.  Back before Dmitrije Milovich had a facebook account to shut down because of my attempts to friend him.  You know....then.....back in MY Winterstick days.

I do hope you get the Seth Pro and I would love to hear your review!!  My envy will increase exponentially I'm sure!

I just did a short write up on my morning on Seth's board on this site.  She is a sweet ride for sure, but the ST is just more my type of ride.  Actually have 4 sticks in the collection including a 161 All Mountain and a ST both early 2000 that have never been on snow.  I have been riding my sons 154 all mountain most of this season, though it is a bit small for me, for an older board it realy rides well.  I demoed some of the rock.cam boards getting all they hype, ah give me camber, give me life.  The rock/cams just seem dead to be.  I can spin my old camber board to switch with no problems.  

With Seth now on the team I would expect the world to see hear and read a lot more about Winterstick.  It must live on!

JC

I have a Nitro Pantera Wide 169 that I ride in Steamboat Springs every year when we go on vacation from NH.  I ride it with soft boots.  This board is great in powder.  It is 27.5 wide at the waist so it floats really well.  It also carves great on the groomed days.

I also rode a Burton Fish out in BC for a few days.  The Fish inspired me to get the Hovercraft.  While the Fish is a hoot in deep stuff it is absolute death on anything else.  The Hovercraft while kind of similar in shape is much more well rounded.  It does it OK on groomers, it is real soft, nothing better in the trees, I have even ridden it in the bumps. Not the fastest thing out there but unsinkable, zero leg burn.  It floats alot more than a Fish, the fish is more surfy.

Dynastar 3800 163 for most things fluffy.  When it's DEEP, I will ride my 4807 169.  I ride both in soft boots for powder days.  The 3800 sees regular usage as a freeride board with Burton Race plates.  I have a Dynastar 4807 in the 178 length and I'm really looking for a season and conditions where I can take that out.

Never Summer Summit in the last of the camber construction, I'm looking for a rocker powder board with normal edges, for next year.

Edited by breeseomatic

2012-2014 I was riding a 21cm wide Coiler Slalom 163 with hardboots.  It actually worked quite well.  This year I got a Donek Axxess 163, 21.5cm wide, and that worked even better for powder and all-mtn freeriding, although not as well for hard carving.

I enjoyed both very much in powder/trees/spring, they floated and made hardbooting feel like "snowboarding" again.

However due to user error (stuffed nose in soft snow, followed by pond skimming wipeout), I've broken the Axxess, so I'm reevaluating my quiver.  I think I'd like to get a BX with carvey softboots for powder/trees/spring, or generally any days that aren't great for carving.  My last pair of softies were new in '94, retired in 2002 I think.  Been a while!

In 2010 I was in Jackson Hole with my Coiler Stubby 170.  It was 21cm wide so it worked pretty well but the length combined with hardboots was a bit much.  So I went to go rent a softy setup.  The guy in the shop raved about the new tech and put me on a Malolo, I think it was 160 at most, if not shorter.  Kind of a fish shape with a lot of setback and very little tail.  Felt all weird, and like I was constantly in danger of falling back off the tail.  Took it back and exchanged it for a good ol' Supermodel 168 and all was right with my world.

Edited by Jack Michaud

PLP

Stumbled onto the PLP site a while ago, everything about it made me smile!

http://www.ettorebarabino.name/category/snowboarding/plp-custom-powder-snowboard/

PLP is the acronym for Peace, Love and Powder, which I 'think' was taken off of an old Nitro ST.  The site and boards are from a 50ish Italian guy that loves powder, but he also loves his wine and cheese as well.  There is a picture somewhere that shows him with several ST powder boards from over the years.  As his weight has increased he was unable to find a powder board that he felt was big enough to float his big frame is what is explained in a magazine article. No problem here, he built his own press and has built several boards out of Marine Plywood that are big enough to really float him.  Just a great vibe and a feeling of having a lot of fun.

I really found the 1:39 mark of the movie interesting.  I shows a small traditional 'fish' type powder board and the huge homemade ST starting at the same point.  After a few turns the big board is cruising really fast and is way ahead of the small board that looks like a little boat that can't get the trim set right.

Cheers

Rob

I really found the 1:39 mark of the movie interesting.  I shows a small traditional 'fish' type powder board and the huge homemade ST starting at the same point.  After a few turns the big board is cruising really fast and is way ahead of the small board that looks like a little boat that can't get the trim set right.

It's hard to to a follow cam shot if you're in front, but it's no secret that bigger boards have quicker acceleration and higher top speeds. In the real world most people aren't racing though - if you want to get down quickest then turning doesn't help. Riding open meadows like that probably makes it easier.

Both riders look rather uncomfortable to me, if happy. You can see it in the thumbnail for the video there actually.