Note to New Members ×

Splitboard backcountry gear and settings

nils

After a few years trying to improve my skiing level to the point where I could follow my skiing friends backcountry, I have come to the conclusion that it is wiser for me to sell my tour skis, and invest in a proper splitboard gear...( I can walk up like them, but on the way down, I cannot follow, and get exhausted too quick to enjoy it ( too many falls when the snow is not perfect....))..

I have also tried snowshoes with board on the backpack but it is much slower than skinning and dangerous when going sideways in steeps! ( it does get very steep here)

I have gotten in touch with my friend Seb Perret from Phenix, and he will do for me a special 183 3 or 4 parts split swallow. He is mastering that technique and the 3+ parts are way way better on the way up where you have symetrical less wide skiis compare to 2 parts splits that are awkwardly shaped, and are not so good sideways, on ice etc...

He is recommanding Sparks bindings, but has no feedback on the newer Tesla model.

I was therefore wondering if any of you had tried it? They seem simplier with less gear involved ( cables, axis...)

Regarding boots, I am looking for infor regarding the deeluxe sparks model ( vibram soles), or any boot that you can put crampons on..I have never but once worn softboots, so still looking for stiff models!

Basically: if you do use splitboards, what is your gear ( boots / bindings)...and the drawbacks of each systems!?

thank you

link to 4 parts model ( non swallow): http://www.phenix-snowboards.com/Snowboards/ttx-168-all-wood.html

basically the 4 parts means the central part is foldable using hinges so you can load it easier on your backpack.

link to 3 parts swallow: http://www.phenix-snowboards.com/Snowboards/spx-173-all-wood.html

link to deeluxe: http://www.deeluxe.com/products/spark-xv/

Thnx

Nils

I'm also in market for split boarding.  As you pointed out, improvising with 'not-made-for' gears is not the way should go.. like using ski boots to ride alpine boards or FC boards to race..  I have eyes on K2's split gears. http://snowboarding.transworld.net/gear/test-ride-k2-kwicker-splitboard-system/#d0f3QUlf75229Fld.97

Only drawback from K2 is .. their longest deck is 167.  

There is a tread regarding K2 Kwicker here in BOL.  found it. here..

Nils,

Good to hear from you and that you are entering the wacky world of split. I have been doing it for over 10 years now but for some reason been doing it quite a bit this year. Great way to escape the crowds, get one hell of a work out, and make some great turns.

One of the reasons I really got into this year was I finally found the perfect boot (in my opinion). Listen Nils, you do NOT have to go softboot. Actually we are seeing quite a lot of growth in split to using a hardshell. However, the difference is we use a "mountaineering" boot. These boots are amazing in that they are crazy light, vibram sole, and the biggest is they tour fantastic. This is for two reasons: the cuff can be dis-abled and allow your ankle to roll back during the stride. And second, you use a Dyna-Fit toe piece for going up hill which is smooth as butter and easy to use.

Here is my set-up:

post-2-0-73035200-1425484565_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-94596000-1425484566_thumb.jpg

I use the Spark R&D plate bindings. Disclosure here: they use our bail assemblies. Super light weight and strong. You can also see the Dyna-Fit toe pieces for going up hill. I use a special Prior ATV split that we had him make a batch of a few years ago. Made for using hardshell boots and done in a split.

post-2-0-45435200-1425484566_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-41268200-1425484567_thumb.jpg

These are the boots I use and would recommend. They are the Dyna-Fit TLT Mountain series. These are the TLT 5 but they now have the TLT 6 out. Dn;t be tempted to get the carbon version for the weight. I hear they are too stiff for boarding. But I have not confirmed that. There is one modification I would go ahead and say you MUST make to these boots to work. If you look at the last picture you can see where I have milled out the aluminum "lug" to allow the boot to flex forward quite a bit. If you do not do this the boots are very stiff and IMHO hard to use as a snowboard boot. I tried one day with them stock and is was miserable. Made the mod, heaven to use.

Of course the other issue is all this gear is NOT inexpensive. The AT stuff is getting a premium price right now.

hey, this is snowboarding and hardbooting. I am moving to main forum because I can!

Fin,

tnx for the input!!!

I have seen that plate from Spark ( and noticed the bomber lever!) but had to figure out how they work!!

Of course I'd rather stay with hardboots that I can use for climbing or even softer days hardbooting than regular softboots!

I wonder where you can put the crampons on this set up....?..

Not sure to understand where you grinded the boot....more detailed explaination mandatory ;)

You have plate overhang ;)  I like to use 35/20° hopefully it does not overhang!

The dynafit system ( boot toe axis and boots) is awsome indeed and has become a standard, very light!! tried some on skiis and they are great indeed!

I'll get in touch with Seb and ask if he has used his 3 parts splits with that setup..will let you know!

Nils

Edited by nils

This is what I would hope K2 would bring back (although it was never released in the US).  I was lucky enough to find the samples at a Ski Swap in Seattle.

The old Clicker bindings are plenty strong and weigh almost nothing.  Have them on my K2 approach skis with free heel and also on my all mountain board.

Wish I could find an alpine split board with a max waist of 20.

post-508-0-91023600-1425490615_thumb.jpg

post-508-0-31942000-1425490700_thumb.jpg

Not sure what a alpine split board with a 20cm waist would be used for....?

Please explain! thnx

I'm a light weight and using steep angles 66 x 42 with a 26.5 boot.  Don't like the extra torque from a wider board.  Found I can use  a softer narrow board in fairly deep powder.  I have an O'sin 4807 for the deeper stuff, but like to have more control for spring back country..

ok thnx!...indeed you can float with narrow board as soon as you have speed, I try to keep my angles under 40° in pow ( 35°front/15 or 20°back) to have a more surfy feeling..means I cannot go lower than 23 cm in waist if I want to avoid huge overhang...

N

If I'd had those K2 boots in 01 I might have stuck with the clickers.

I bought some scarpa pegasus (cheaper($200+) version of the maestale) to use for both splitboard and ski. Love them for ski and only slight compromise for board without modifications. less than 1/2 the weight of my old raichles.

I am working on a walk mode rearward flex stop that is easily removed for skiing.

The only other issue I have with AT boots is being stuck with the "set the heel 1st" standard toe levers, I miss my stepins.

Also of note (I think it's vokyl) is making dynafit toe compatible soft boot bindngs like the Rangers from NZ. I love standardization.

Got small feedback from Phenix...waiting for the quote too!

Remarks: the existing pucks limit today the angles to 25°..I asked for a 35° front, and 25° back in order to avoir overhang....

will feed answers here!

Nils

have you seen the phantom splitboard bindings for hardboots? nice engagement interface, but seems to only go as high as 30°. may be a detractor, but you need dynafit toe-pieces and compatible boot toes.

Yes that's the issue with all the hardboot split bindings . This is even worse if when using dynafit toe-pieces for touring as they stick out and prevent rotation of the front binding worse than than voile's without making your stance so wide its uncomfortable .

I have a donek hazelwood split .

Voile plates with the bomber standard adaptors . I custom cut the pucks to get roughly 50/50 angles . The front binding drilled to slide on from the heel side. (otherwise it hits the touring brackets)

Use Scarpa spirits , thermoflex liners, boosters straps .

It works really good now that I have similar stance to what I ride alpine .

Edited by P06781

I went for the dynafit toes and voile canted pucks on my new Odin and found some stance limitations. 30* limit was one reason not to spend $850 on the phantom system. The Voile pucks will go up to 40* which is good enough for me, but that steep an angle forces a wider stance than I like with the front throw dynafits. I'll probably get the Ranger toes to bypass this issue.

IMG_20140603_113436-800x800.jpg

Ranger soft binding uses the dynafit/pin tech toe for tour mode also. this makes me think the sparks dyno in Fin's pic could be made with a pin tech extension to allow any old AT, or snowboard hardshell on a split w/dynafit toe.

If you like go with softboots take attention to Plum Feyan Carbon. Ever known something about? They are realy en vogue since this season, while Sparks/Karakoram/Kwicker and so on aren't anymore. Plum bindings are way cheaper than US-milled Aluminium and Plum are true professionals since decades, even for lightweight dynafit bindings for hard use. Plum has now splitboard bindings too. I mean there is less marketing, but way more "Chamonix" inside! They are made in the city of Cluses, which is well known as a hot-spot of innovations in high-tech precision mechanics.

Cluses You can reach from Lyon by your 2CV across the country or rather by highway A42/A40 or A43/A41/A40 by something more than 2 hours. Take exit 19 for Cluses. By Renault Alpine (what a name!) you would be way faster then by 2CV :-)

A boot even for splitboarding was once the Deeluxe Supermoto. That was a hybrid boot with Intec StepIn heel-compatibility and was even perfect for cramp-ons too. Cramp-ons You need on tricky area of glaciers and boulders.

Deeluxe-Supermoto.jpg

Maybe that boot never went over Atlantic Ocean to reach Amercian Continent. Price tag of Deeluxe Supermoto was: € 328.95

Even Deeluxe Spark Touring NT (similar like Spark NT, softboot, from the same time) had Dynafit receivers.

Well, these boots are from more than one decade ago. From a time where Jeremy Jones didn't know anything about the demand of snowboarding off-slope and from a time where spliboards of 3 or 4 pieces had been protected by Patents.

For Splitboarding it's good to know there is a huge difference from America to the European Alps. What seems to work well in the Rocky Mountains fails/ is danger on the Alpes. Thats why splitboards, like that new 4 parts split swallow from Phenix or the one from Salomon are now comming up. They think they have a kind of brand new boards, while there is some experience with multipart splitboards and non-icying-up special fixings since more than two decades (I rode them once).

Splitboards seems to became very popular (in mind of snowboarders only) pushed by Jeremy Jones. Sales figures are for sure higher than for Alpine boards, but thats all of it (I would say sales figures stays very low). I never had seen a rider on a splitboard riding powerfull down a mountain. Even Jeremy Jones was not capable to do it, except on best powder-snow for sure.

On the one side that 2-part splities are not very practicable to handle on tricky snow, uphill and even downhill. Even on higher mountains, where you downhill usualy 6'000ft to 8'000ft (Chamonix 12'000ft), snow-conditions change fast and many time during your ride.

On the other side ski-touring is very popular these days. The nice downhills are tracked-out faster and more often than freeride area beside lifts. A huge amount of people from all European countrys go to the Alps for doing ski-alpinism. One reason for it: you have good access to huts on the mountains but also to public transportation for to go back, or change the mountains, doing a round trip and so on.

Nils, take attention to what kurtsk8 (Snowboard Alpinismo) tell us, his is not that wrong.

Edited by snowmatic

Hey

Not sure what you mean about what you mean: "Nils, take attention to what kurtsk8 (Snowboard Alpinismo) tell us, his is not that wrong." any link?

4 parts boards have indeed a much better rigidity and overall are almost as coherent as non splits, which is indeed good for our european conditions with various snows on the same slopes. This is one of the reason i'm choosing that too. ( the other beeing the ability to have symetrical skiis that are not too wide, with edges that work on both sides the same way)

I prefer to use hardboots that could still use regular skiis when downhill with kids...I have so much gear already when I drive...Rather not add another kind of setup!

Plum is awsome gear ( might get their front part) a bit expensive..will see.

Pucks are indeed the part that need some Bomber ingineering to be able to get more angles ( Fin...? :) )...will know soon if I can get my 35°front with the modified spark pucks...I have a big stance so maybe the front part of the Dynafit/Plum will not be an issue..will see

N

Yeah,

You can find a site with dedication to Extremecarving and Extremecarving-boards on internet. That site contains a user-forum. kurtsk8 is a member of that forum and he was very interested/activ to/on hardbooting outside of slopes since many Years. Use search function on that forum. Type for user "kurtsk8" and "Snowboard Alpinismo"

For more freenes of angles take splitboards whitch contains Burton channel system, like Btn Family Tree, Voile Revelator and so on.

Sometimes mountains can be higher and on higher challenge, covered by tons of snow and ice all over the Year,

Alps.JPG

and that's the equipment which is needed for to go on that Alps. No wide skis, no wobbeling boots on (wider than wide skis) splitboards!

Ski_mountaineering.JPG

Thats what we came down (on right lower corner there are our trenches):

Where_we_came_from.JPG

Hardbooter inbound of crevasses

Inbound_of_it.JPG

Edited by snowmatic

Hi Nils,

Seb built me a Phenix SPX 173. I use it with Spark Dyno DH bindings, Ranger toepieces, Maruelli crampon holders und Dynafit TLT6 boots. This board is a real beauty. And it tours and rides very very good. Though it is not made for, but even on hardpack it has great edgehold.

There is only one problem I have found so far. There is only a little rise in the ski tips. So especially when I need to do my own track it is sometimes a little bit harder to keep the tips out of the snow. The top of the skis get covered with snow a little bit faster.

If Seb is building you a longer swallow then keep in mind, if you are doing switchback turns it gets harder with longer skis.

Here are two pics of my board:

nb86on64.jpg

lpxlj5ci.jpg

Hey Christian! Thnx for feedback and pics ( awsome board!!)

its basically the same setup ( nutwood too but black outer sidewalls)  i'm going to get, but:

- longer board 183 ( am used to long tour skiis since I am 190cm tall and have 186 Elan Apex skiis)

- 4 parts ( foldable central part): Seb said it would add rigidity since it adds a couple of locks on the board

- Seb and Lucas are trying to find a way to modify pucks so I have bigger angles.

Indeed I understand the scoop issue ( flat nose)..I guess its the drawback of riding a swallowtail vs a shovel like board...

Nils

Yeah, that's great.

Even that Phenix splitboard looks wonderfull!

Don't miss to join Ultimate Test Tour at Villars-Gryon (Switzerland) this weekend!

Villars is close to lake of Geneva.

Phenix snowboards and other brands like CloneInd/Corupt/Dupraz/Pogo would be there!

Travel by airplane to Sion airport or Geneva airport. If comming from Paris take TGV de neige.

30 miles more to the East at Kandersteg the splitboard only test-tour "Alpine-Splitfest" (Switzerland) event with major splitboard brands would be hold this weekend. You can book guided tours for up to 4 miles/6000ft long/descent downhill on an imperial Glacier-world. There is low avalanche risk now. (see http://www.summitpost.org/balmhorn/308267 and http://images.summitpost.org/original/308267.jpg )

On both places you can test and ride the newest 2015/2016 boards and bindings as much you need for free.

I had an Odin split board in soft spring slushy bumps today and was quite impressed with the edge hold on steep bumps and  winchcat groomers. Scarpa AT boot did fine with zero modifications both forward and switch with the back foot in walk mode

I really thought the rocker/flat/ rocker would be squirrelly but only noticed that skating on the flats; once on edge  it held my 220# up with no issues.

Certainly not an ice board but holds steep hardpack well and I'm confident it'll float well in the deep.

Pics and more details later :biggthump

PS I wish it looked as good as the Phenix

Edited by b0ardski