Note to New Members ×

Splitboard backcountry gear and settings

nils

• 2 weeks later...

Craig Kelley used to ride hardshell boots on his splits, don't see why you couldn't still do that for the alpinism benefits. All you would need to purchase is the split deck and some bindings.

As for riding down the mountain on a splitty, if you're a solid snowbooarder, I can't imagine having too many issues with controlling the board, especially if you're wearing a hard boot setup. The only downside I can see would be missing out on some of the surfy fun to be had riding a softer setup in powder. If you're riding sktechy, icy pitches, I'd think the hard boot rig would be a huge help.

I'd also think that riding a standard split with the extra control from teh hard boots would be a winner all the way around. I know Prior will whip you up an extra stiff deck if you ask (they did for me). I'd imagine you could rip up the mountain on a hybrid setup like that.

In fact, this is a big part of why I came to this forum. . .to explore a hybrid BC rig.

• 2 weeks later...

so here's some pics of my setup and a few more details,

I've not gotten time for skinning yet so I'll comment on that later

17123308355_8e12f30137_c.jpg

35*f/25*r angles/stance 20" Is not as steep as I'd like but it's working well. I could get to 40+* with the voile canted pucks but a wider stance would be required using speed radical toes/sparks adapter.

17121787302_b09524f7e3_c.jpg

removed the lock lever off the speed toe and overhang on the heel riser to allow 20' stance with steeper angles

will have the lever and it's mount pin with me if needed for skinning.

16935538908_676254e4db_c.jpg

I could go steeper if I went to 21+" but already have no tip to lean on with the 168cm rocker, not a fan of rocker but will save that argument for another time. 307 bsl/sz 27, 25cm waist

toe hang on the back foot and to a lesser extent heel hang, is more than I'd like but with near 2" height off the deck it's not really an issue unless ECing on hardpack(haven't tried that...yet) Soft boot splitters all complain about stack height, I guess they need to have a hang ten feel to surf snow, doesn't bother me in the least other than the extra weight.

16935532538_1a1c8f2cec_c.jpg

didn't notice it in spring slush

17123324405_40092362dc_c.jpg

The Odin is a bit of a beast (ie durable) by reputation which is a good part of why I chose it, I'm 6',  215# +/-, half Norwegian and got it cheap NOS('12 model yr) from venture for $300. That said, It's heavy in this configuration at 14.5# and I'll be looking for lighter weight hardware for sure.

I may sell the dyna toes and sparks adapters and go with ranger NZ touring toes and will probably pick up the Dyno's like Fin has unless I find a deal on used Phantoms.($850+ for the whole system is out of my league even if they could go to 40*+)

The old sims plate is heavy and I'll cut them down to just the toe & heel bails to save weight. The old blax stepin toes on the back foot worked in the voile slider holes perfectly w/out mods and the burton stepin heel gives some spring loaded play to the otherwise stiff boot, with minor drilling of the slider plate.

I may match this on the front slider but like it to be a bit more solid than the back foot.

I haven't felt much need to mod the pegasus boots as I want them for skiing also, but may rig up a rearward lean stop for walk mode on the back foot while riding.

Overall Odin & Pegasus will rule the mountain :AR15firin  if ULLR ever blesses us again :freak3:

Edited by b0ardski

• 5 months later...

Help Needed!

Phenix cannot get a hand on Spark Dyno HD plates ( made by bomber, at least the bails and lever) for my project...Anyone has clue on where to find them online? Have contacted Sparks but still get no response....

Thnx :)

( don't wanna risk my life on cheaper Voilé plates or other thin bails concepts...

Nils

Help Needed!

Phenix cannot get a hand on Spark Dyno HD plates ( made by bomber, at least the bails and lever) for my project...Anyone has clue on where to find them online? Have contacted Sparks but still get no response....

Thnx :)

( don't wanna risk my life on cheaper Voilé plates or other thin bails concepts...

Nils

Hi Nils,

Markus at http://www.wildschnee.de has the Dyno Binding online.

Christian

• 4 months later...

Finally...the board is arriving :)

12716222 1741997342703618 6292716248811351857 O

Second board on left...its a 4 parts ( left one is a 3 parts).. Still missing the climbing cant ( voilé)
Plates are Dyno HD ( bails and lever made by our beloved Bomber... I saw the phantom parts, but I prefer not too risk a bail break!)

10329123 1741997106036975 445068501892433921 N

10632706 1741997226036963 3728317015775071629 N

Ranger forged carbon front piece

12747462 1741997166036969 3855284009946656986 O

custom junction plate by Access ( Lucas Cervellin)

12697286 1741997092703643 4669817744443070202 O

Plum junction parts

12719127 1741997229370296 886213968225293003 O

custom junction plate by Lucas Cervellin / Access splitboard..the first one of this design ( since the swallowtails can't use the tip piece, the tail piece needs to be much more efficient, especially on a 4 parts split)

Should be able to give first feedbacks next week :)..Training for a bigger tour end of march at La Grave :)

:cool: that is a BEAUTIFUL piece of of mountain artquipment Nils looking forward to a review.

What boots did you go with?

I'm loving my scarpas :1luvu:  been using them unmodified on my nidecker escapes (174x23 &165x21.5) at the resort with a snowpro race on the front and burton race stepin on the back. I realllllly want a stepin binder that works for all AT boots.

Some DIY work...

-DIY Catek / Voilé plate bindings,

-DIY Adapters for Dynafit with BentMetal bindings center discs cut with Dremel.

New holes to adapt the Catek bails to the Voilé plates and Dynafit bindings T-Nutted to the BentMetal center discs.

The all thing works like a breeze for the moment...Very happy to have moved from soft splitting to hard splitting....Like day and night.....

post-4537-0-54553900-1456165160_thumb.jp

post-4537-0-63414400-1456165156_thumb.jp

post-4537-0-71772500-1456165158_thumb.jp

post-4537-0-32003400-1456165162_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Sebastien Perret, Phénix Snowboards

SPX 178 split 4 - Phénix Snowboards

IMG 20160224 090611205 HDR

Inside edges and sidecut do help amazingly on icy steeps

IMG 20160226 095916021 HDR

My ideal quiver

Sleeping beauties

Sparks Dyno HD

Finally got hold of my board, and put 7500 feet of climbing into it, so here is a quick feedback

This is a board you can definitely choose for any touring activity: meaning its reliable enough to bring to high mountain ( have planned a trip that requires 3000 feet quickly done at la Meije end of the month)..

It's a setup you can compare with ski gear: skis are light, efficient and hold edges on both sides, which is very good on icy steeps...the sidecut IS a real plus, and the narrow ski is also easy to move around and use with climbing knifes (crampons in english?)..

Only downside of the ski design is the nose is quiet flat, and in deep powder it needs some work to put through the snow..also the ski point looks to be taken care of ( fragile?)

The assembly takes 12 seconds with training, bindings included and there you go: a real powder board that handles various terrains, even bumps, icy parts...Compare to the same normal board ( uncut), it has a different feel with a board that is not torsionnaly as stiff, meaning the turns on hard snow require a bit more effort, but it does hold edge when you ask it to...

On piste, you need to get used to the mechanical noises and feel when changing edge, it feels strange at first and during the first hour, I kept looking to see if everything was still together!

Dyno HD by Spark ( bomber bails) > very good binging/ system...light and sturdy..only thing is the bolt that holds the back bail up is a bit low for backcountry standard and it is a pain to lock into binding in deep snow because you cannot sometimes lift the tip of your foot by much...Someone suggested a nylon zip tie to make the bolt wider...could work...

Its a unique board ( 1st 4 parts 178 STail )....It's a real investment....It's like discovering a new world!

Edited by nils

Hi Nils,

really really nice looking board! About the flat nose issue I told you ;-) Unfortunately I can't see your pics a little bit bigger :-( When I click on those images I get the error message "You do not have permission to view this image". Hmm, anyone else have this problem?

Christian

Hi Nils,

really really nice looking board! About the flat nose issue I told you ;-) Unfortunately I can't see your pics a little bit bigger :-( When I click on those images I get the error message "You do not have permission to view this image". Hmm, anyone else have this problem?

Christian

Same issue for me as well.....

It's a pity not being able to see more details of that very nice board....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys...the pictures in the gallery are much bigger size...when I click on them in the message it pops up and displays it in big...I have no idea why it is a bug!

There is no permission setting in the gallery...

the gallery is a pain in the a.. to use i wish it was possible to send pics directly in the message...

Maybe a moderator can help us?

• 1 month later...

For those who have moved or are planning to move to the "hard" side for the boots in splitboarding, some good info can be found there :

https://www.wildsnow.com/20066/hardboot-splitboarding-dynafit-tlt6/#more-20066

or there :

http://splitboard.com/talk/topic/dynafit-tlt6-mod-thread/

This, in order to "refresh" a little bit that thread... :cool:

• Like 2

Feedback after my last two days run with the board around la Meije glacier de la Selle last week after a short 2 month season ( got the board end of feb..)

Conditions: high altitude ( 2500-3550m) spring conditions ( very hard morning snow, heavy powder on north faces, melted snow around 1 pm). Total climbed around 1600m+, 3000m-

Was glad to have two edges and a sidecut on both sides, and narrow skis to help me climb hard morning snow on exposed slopes, even with knifes under the feet it got hairy and had to switch to crampons in 40° because using knifes and the base canting made it difficult to really grip. I am not sure i'd have liked to be on a two part splitboard with softboots in those conditions!

- Board up takes some time to assemble / dissasemble meaning if your partners are skiers, they will have to wait 5 more mins until you are ready, can be long when the chosen route implies 3-4 skin on-off changes.

- It  is heavier than touring skiis and after long climbs you feel the weight, meaning the rest of the backpack equipment has to be minimal..and your cardio training needs to be better than those on skiis...Altitude is also a big factor, and the extra weight was a burden at 3500m.. As ski alpinist racers say: a kilo in the feet equals 7 kilos in the backpack...

- Backpack for two days tour are in the 40-45 liters, and my 38 L light backpack  ( blue ice warthog 38L) might be great for carrying skiies ( when using crampons) but was not adapted to the big size of the board ( heavier weight, longer...) and I need to find a way to keep the weight centered and balanced. Now bag has only two straps lines that are very close to each others and board was twisting after a while ( especially on long crampons climb)

- Plum Knifes very easy to use on / off without removing boot from binding

- Ranger low tech: very efficient, needs proper alignment

- Sparks Dyno: no flaws, strong and easy to slide in, just lacks a thicker back bail screw to hold it higher, I used a plastic zip to amplify the angle. I like the design of the Phantom, but thought the price and solid bails ( bombers) were more interesting in the Sparks...I also question the fact that phantom might not be compatible with 3-4 parts splits and still be able to hold the gear together ( that is what the sparks do really: hold the thing solidly together!)

- Karakoram tip clips ( plastic) sliders: they tend to move a bit...but hold. I have seen on a track one lost clip from another splitboarder...means the plastic nuts need to be verified, and spare gear might be something to keep in the pocket in case...

- Board assembly is fine in almost 99% of the conditions, I have encountered one tail dissasembly in very rough hairy conditions during a turn on frozen snow that was deeply tracked suddenly getting heavy vibrations that disengaged the tail assembly part...the board held thanks to the dyno bindings, but had to dissassemble the whole board to get it back in proper conditions...not very funny thing to do in 40° steeps on a glacier...The guide was like: wtf...

- TLT6: the only mod I did is the one improving the forward flex. I don't think the other mods are that important, especially coming from Hardboots where I'm used to stiff boots while riding. I had to get a bootfitter modify the outer shell until my feet were fine in them ( narrow size) but otherwise they are great for us.

Conclusion:

Heavier setup than skiis, but I'd say with my average physical shape is good for 1000m-1100m+ a day max in average altitudes. Requires training and organisation for the skin on/ skin off so you are able to keep up with partners...in powder definitely a great setup, on difficult snows it is not as easy as with a twin tip but does the job! Board construction is using a mid weight woodcore, and you can gain 500gr using light woods, but will then be more fragile..

N

Edited by nils
  • Like 1

Neat thread, so glad this is not confined to some side-forum. 

... climbing knifes (crampons in english?)..

We call them "Harscheisen" ;-) 

"Crampons" we'd use for standard crampons you put on your boots for front-pointing etc.

Of course we may be misusing a non-English word, but if you say Harscheisen then the Brits at least will know you're talking about crampons which work with ski bindings for going uphill specifically.