Note to New Members ×

enjoy the ec .... happy winter

excarving

BTW, snowmatic:

Well in this case of picture with red dots I was invited by a filmer to perform carving that slope.

And you declined? Why?

Also:

And just same month there was an interview at one (of many) of a leading newspaper in Europe with Oxess founder Brunner.
Giving many figures and informations to journalist, at least Marcel lament he can't deal with his boards in his country and around the core of the Alps. He do export them only.

If you are referring to the article in the Tages-Anzeiger: Calling the Tages-Anzeiger a "leading newspaper in Europe" is a bit much. The Tages-Anzeiger is not the NZZ.

Also, Mr. Brunner did not say that he "can't deal with his boards in his country". He only mentioned that Swiss pros do not use his product for racing. He also mentioned that many of them are already with Kessler. But since pro riders cannot ride anyway, according to you, I fail to see your point. 

Edited by Aracan

I know I should let this thread die, but...

In reading the posts here now, I think the negativity level was pretty low; more like a technique discussion sparked by the videos.

Or so I thought...

The one thing is riders on core of the Alps want to run Alpine snowboarding, not Alpine lameboarding!

Most FIS racers don't use rotations for making turns on an Alpine snowboard and are strongly limited to manage tricky slopes! If you have the chance, ask one of the FIS racer (maybe an PAR Worldcup overall winner) for to go carving together in a mogul-slope ;-) my big-grin dosn't end now!
Ask them to go carving on steep very narrow pure-ice slopes where ski-downhill racers reach 100mph (160km/h) ;-) my big-grin still holds on.

Similar things can be written about Pureboarding. Joerg Egli's videos and photos shows only wide and easy beginners slopes on best powdersnow from foreign countrys. Well he is an old man now on decreasing vitality, but was limited to such slopes since he started his business. On the core of the Alps people are talking more from poor-boarding then from pure-boarding.

What seemed to start out as comments about how a cross-over technique could or should give way to a push-pull cross-under technique as the slope gets steeper, which is fine, now has an undercurrent of, "it's not extreme carving if it's not in the Alps," which is not so fine.  The word extreme can refer to the carve or the terrain; it doesn't have to be both at the same time. 

I chose soft boots for riding off-piste powder, moguls, and trees, and only ride alpine on groomer days.  A lot of us do.  I guess that would make us super-lame lameboarders.   So be it.  If lameboarding is what I do, long live lameboarding.  Heck, I even ski occassionally, is that like super-duper-lame?

• Like 4

Well, ist's now off-topic at all, and

maybe some mod's get nervous reading an other point of view like I wrote. Sometime thinking free and carving free meight be hard to understand.

Doesn't matter at all, it shows me why there are strong reasons the Youth deny to follow Alpine snowboarding.

I suggest ride harder and go faster. But on good boards and better skill so you will have fun. Day by day and winter by winter, without any injury all the time.

@Aracan

Well Aracan, usualy printed newspaper of Der Standard or Kronen Zeitung didn't contain the same content like OnLine.

Ask Oxess how many boards they can sell annualy to buyers on core of the Aps (I mean to them who pay the full price, like You and me).

And I can't understand Your question, please ask more clear. (declining what?)

Aracan you are from Tyrol of the core of the Alps, maybe Carinthia, or Salzburg, right?

I hope You didn't miss to join at least one of all the fun events the last weekend for to run together with racers of FIS PAR Worldcup. I'm not up-to-date on which places all the events had been hold on the Alps.

Unfortunately someone blocked me here on forum and I was not capable to put informations about that before events start (Aaron put infos about to fcb right that days). There must be someone(s) on forum which like to keep (me and) Alpine snowboarding as down as it can.

I mean US rider Justin Reiter is 3rd on overall ranking of Worldcup 2014/2015 (14 races) but no ones takes notice about here on BOL forum. What a shame!

In Your case Aracan You did join the open-to-everyone Schlag-den-Aaron fun race at Rosskopf mountain (Sterzing) of Saturday March 28. ? Rosskopf ski area is on the border of Italy-Austria, just only 45' by car from Innsbruck.

Mustn't it be great to ride down a course with Aaron March and 7 more of his Worldcup buddys? (Austrian racers too) That's real Alpine snowboarding, just to be in middle of the pulsing heart of it.

Whiteout-Snowboard-Team.gif

Following day an open-to-everyone event on Sunday March 29. was holded by Whiteout Snowboard Team, which is located close to Zermatt (border of Switzerland-Italy).

Surfing a snowboard together with some holders of Sochi Olympic medals around gates, brings You closer to the sceene then ever you think. Way closer than only internet surfing.

There was a store on resort Graechen with rental of boards, bindings and boots (F2 Speester's, F2 Vantage). Just good for them who arrived/joined there without any gear.

Well, events had been gone over before I was allowed to anounce them here on forum.

Did I forget something to write? Ahhh Yes!

There had been an inscription of a couple of Corean riders to Graechen event. As usual the last Years, Corean hardbooters take part of a springtime race-tour in Europe. So at March 29. there was a chance to see AND ride with 4 men and 2 girls from Corea. Even a Canadian Worldcup racer was there! (for results see FIS page)

I mean everyone like to see and get back video of Corean hartbooters here on thread.

But why not to share/ride a slope with Corean hartbooters?

I did it this winter and You?

Edited by snowmatic

johnasmo: negativity level was pretty low; more like a technique discussion sparked by the videos

That's it!

While poster of video want to make a show like to be heros and told something not well about rotation, there must be room for to discuss it.

johnasmo: undercurrent of, "it's not extreme carving if it's not in the Alps," which is not so fine

It don't matter where you carve extreme. The ones does it in Morocco, Namibia, or Lesotho and the other ones in Iran. (Yes, there you find ski resorts.) But even on the listed resorts, there is needed more skill and action (low quality of slopes) for to carve extreme.

west carven: I'm sure these 3 people are not as good as you...

You meight be right at all. Because maybe all of that 3 people don't carve on such areas.

There are examples about raceboarders on internet. As I write something above, there on the Alps you will find mountains they do not have any other slopes than black ones. A carving board enthusiast was once missleaded by a domestic skier to such a hidden and tiny resort. He reported than the mountain with black slopes was totaly un-carveable. He went then to the beginners area beside and was reporting what kind of hero carving he did there.

Good to know: that "totaly un-carvable" mountain is one of the best location for carving on the Alps. Even carving there wind-pack beside slope is like surfing 7th-sky.

Well west carven, for to show what kind of slopes riders of the Alps carve beside brushed cat tracks like shown now in every carving video, watch this:

carving_this_slope.JPG

Domestics of Alps don't name such carvings extreme, because it's just basic.

As Coreans in video of thread, we like to carve smooth, non-shaking and clean tracks like shown on this photo. Well, skill matters if do it on such ground, otherwise you feel like in a popcorn cooker.

What happens on less riding skill, but talking from Extremecarving we see here to the end of video:

Thats an absolute no-go.

There are now some carvers from Russia which do so called "Extremecarving" under label of velvet.pro. As many so called extreme-carvers around the World they prefer wide and easy to manage slopes for to go carving. But even on such type of slopes he was not capable to dominate his snowboard. Even if no boulders around, no trees, no moguls and nothing else as wide & huge empty space he crash to a lonely skier. That's a result of missing or wrong skill handling a carving snowboard.

By the way, velvet.pro has packman's on their logo. After watching crash on video, I know why they choose packman's.

That's it! ...By the way, velvet.pro has packman's on their logo. After watching crash on video, I know why they choose packman's.

That guy's helmet cover with raccoon tail is totally bitchin' and clearly the source of his power. The sole reason he double-ejected that skier had nothing to do with the conditions, it was his mocking the Snow Apparel Gods by removing the helmet cover. Let this be a lesson to all of us.

Not often a video posting gets so much discussion.  Too bad it's not a discussion about the video.

I think what happened here is all about using the term "extreme carving".  We have the Swoard guys to blame for this.

Many of us on this forum consider extreme carving to be one of many carving techniques or styles.  A style characterized by fully laid out turns with lots of clothing dragging on the snow; a style labelled "extreme carving" by the Swoard guys, even if many of us lump it together with Eurocarving or PureBoarding style, styles where armpits dragging is considered good.  It's not a style I choose (fingertips only please, if even that), but at least I know what people are talking about when they talk about extreme carving.  I don't think we have a generally accepted term for riding hardboots in extreme terrain, which I think is what snowmatic would like extreme carving to refer to.  While the term "extreme skiing" usually does refer to the terrain, the term "extreme carving" in this community is usually about the style of carving -- what you physically do in the turn, not the terrain on which you do it.

In skiing, it's not "extreme" to just be off-piste or in the trees, there's got to be exposure (i.e. cliffs, risk of serious injury or death).  If you hardboot terrain that is risking death, feel free to call it bad-ass snowboarding.

• Like 1

Well Aracan, usualy printed newspaper of Der Standard or Kronen Zeitung didn't contain the same content like OnLine.

Very true. If the online version and the paper version differ, the online version is always the longer, more detailed one. This goes for all newspapers that I know of. The Tages-Anzeiger seems to do it differently. Or maybe you just got it wrong. As I like to say: Wer lesen kann, ist klar im Vorteil ("Reading skills are often advantageous.")

And I can't understand Your question, please ask more clear. (declining what?)

You told us about how a pro moviemaker asked permission to film your riding. You did not tell us his name, nor did you post a link to the movie, or tell us when to switch on our TVs to see the movie, or which DVD to order from Amazon. You would certainly have done so if you had allowed him to film you. So, obviously, you "declined" (told him "no, I do not want you to film me riding").

Mustn't it be great to ride down a course with Aaron March and 7 more of his Worldcup buddys? (Austrian racers too) That's real Alpine snowboarding, just to be in middle of the pulsing heart of it.

Perish the thought! My good buddy snowmatic told me:

Most FIS racers don't use rotations for making turns on an Alpine snowboard and are strongly limited to manage tricky slopes!

Since I strive to live perpetually in the spirit of alpine carving, I avoid riding with racers at all costs. They might lead me from the true path.

Thats an absolute no-go.

There are now some carvers from Russia which do so called "Extremecarving" under label of velvet.pro. As many so called extreme-carvers around the World they prefer wide and easy to manage slopes for to go carving. But even on such type of slopes he was not capable to dominate his snowboard. Even if no boulders around, no trees, no moguls and nothing else as wide & huge empty space he crash to a lonely skier. That's a result of missing or wrong skill handling a carving snowboard.

By the way, velvet.pro has packman's on their logo. After watching crash on video, I know why they choose packman's.

Nothing new from you, man))) 

• 2 weeks later...

Aracan: told him "no, I do not want you to film me riding"

As I wrote: I hope I will see a sequence of it upcomming winter. I was recorded there. He was near to zero of battery-life, but he insisted I had to carve.

In such cases you never know what happens with such sequences. To the end of the winter filmers collect as much of scenes as possible. They have time during summer to create a good movie for next winter. Maybe my ride was good enough for a slice of a second on part of a movie, maybe it's just waste. Professional filmer don't post waste of riding snowboards on DVD, or youtube.

Let me give You an example:

You didn't tell me if You are domestic of the Alps or where you ride. In my case I have a photo of a back-country kicker of a session from winter 2013/14. They did film there with 3 cams big-air from any riders like usual we see it from World best spots.

I saw the same kicker again more than one Year later (was published on a final cut 8 month and about 3 weeks later as I was there / for sure no ridings from me)

It is from Sage Kotsenburg (USA). He visited the Alps after Sochi Olympics, as he get his slope-style gold medal.

(Title: Best of Snowboarding: Best of Sage Kotsenburg)

I was carving that day at a hidden and not known by tourists single surface-lift. He was there some days before too for riding powder. His gopro video of his powder rides there I found some weeks later on Youtube.

I hope I could explain You how sometimes the things happens on European Alps.

Aracan: I avoid riding with racers at all costs

No-no, it's interessting how and what they ride. I can manage to stand in middle of them. Just because what/how they ride it's one single of all movements of what we learned how to ride snowboards. Edited by snowmatic

Let me give You an example:

Yes? So far, you did not give an example. You just posted a snowboarding video that does not show you. 

Let me give you an example:

Go to a cinema near you and watch a movie. I can guarantee you will not see me acting in it.

• Like 2

Go to a cinema near you and watch a movie. I can guarantee you will not see me acting in it.

But your movements have been recorded on CCTV on a near continuous basis so all we need to do is watch all the video ever recorded in the world and eventually we'll see you doing something interesting. It's so simple!

• Like 1

Aracan, thats o.k. I can understand You.

Thats exactly why many skiresorts offers so many blue slopes. Ride and carve on them. And Youtube helps You to post carving videos like we can watch here first on thread.

Isn't both great? It's fantastic how tourist-friendly things ever can be. You should enjoy it!

I can understand You.

No.

At least you pretend not to understand. 

I do not post videos, period. Not of myself, not of other people.

You, on the other hand, TALK about people fiming you riding, and then you POST videos of NOT YOU, calling that an example. Which is a strange thing to do.

Do you understand the difference? Between people who are you (that is a group of one, featuring you), and people who are not you (everyone else)?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just for them who are not able to belive my explanations.

I know it's hard for the one or other member (and moderators) here to accept there are riders which can be closer to good vibes than they ever are capable to imagine.

According to the stressfull discusion we had here on thread I want to remember there are true mountains for to go true snowboarding. Even the best snowboard riders on the World like to go there as I like it to do similar. Wide and clean artifical made slopes, containing artifical snow can not be compared to true mountains and natural slopes on true mountains. Orginal wintersports, which includes carving an Alpine snowboard too, doesn't need fully man-shaped runs.

For to show things can take time maybe Years like I wrote it on postings

here on this thread

and here on this thread

now, since some days there is another Nike video sequence on Youtube.

I invite you to compare the scenes from this new (Aug 10, 2015) video:

backcounty screen-shot 1:47

Sage-Kotsenburg-Nike-video.jpg

which was from this playground,

playground.JPG

and in detail

playground-detail.JPG

and this was the board he used (see his Youtube channel)

Sage-s-lonly-board.JPG

Well, Sage Kotsenburg (USA) is gold medalist of Sochi Olympics on slope-style, so the first winner of an Olympic slope-style snowboard event. Even like many other good riders he like also to go riding on great true mountains, even like shown on my pictures taken 12 days after closing Sochi Olympics.

Edited by snowmatic

Dont feed the trolls. Dont feed the trolls...

There's a difference between telling people how awesome you and your mountains are in your own thread and posting negative comments about someone else in their thread.

Please stop. We know big mountains are pretty cool. You don't need to step on others to try to bring yourself up. Please stop now.

• Like 1