Note to New Members ×

enjoy the ec .... happy winter

excarving

Hello Excarving

I don't understand your technic !!!!! How do you make your style and your technic (not and never push-pull ) on the stiff slope (at home black slope and red slope) ? Because on those slopes, the speed must be very very very important !!! I see all your videos, I do not understand !!!!! Do you want give me few lessons on French Alpes ???? :):):)

Edited by jeff33
  • Like 1

Excarving,

If I have well understand, your technic is : maximal rotation of body + tip over the body towards the snow ? If this my analyse is good, how make in the stiff slope ? How controlling the speed ? I Will be happy to come to Corea for have lessons from you !!! ;);)

• 4 weeks later...

Excarving,

Your technic is not possible on the slopes red level and black level. Why ? Because the centrifugal force is much important and the only one solution is the push/pul ! In your video, I can see your slopes and for me, there are blue level....

Excarving,

Your technic is not possible on the slopes red level and black level. Why ? Because the centrifugal force is much important and the only one solution is the push/pul ! In your video, I can see your slopes and for me, there are blue level....

Hi agree!

Excarving, nice vids; yes, ec is possible no bending but push-pull is too important to ride on steep slopes or in moguls.

On flat slopes all is possible, even no bending.

In Italy or Swiss (also in Zinal) or France not always the slopes (the snow) are in good conditions like in Corea so without push-pull ec is not possible.

Of course, rotation is a fundamental!

That's it. I agree to jeff33 and H2O.

Well, there are up-comming countrys in wintersports since the last decade. Just like it happen in America some vew decades before. Even IOC and FIS takes care about it. They bring Olympic Winter Games now to Pyeong Chang of Corea in 2018.

It's great to see how people like to make wintersports now on many more country around the world. Like "excarving" they develop their own way for it.

But on these up-comming countrys they shouldn't forget, where wintersports is comming from. In case of wintersports things had been developed long time ago in the Alps. Once upon a time where no cars had been found on the ways.

Just watch this picture from a horse drawn carriage crossing the Alps. On such flanks of mountains right on the right side of picture we like to ride snowboards and skis:

horse_drawn_carriage_of_Alps.JPG

While on the Wild-Wild-West they had to manage some times Indian and gangster attacks, on the Alps they went very often through very hard enviroments (falling rocks, avalanches, wind-storms, rain-storms and snow-storms.

Similar things we can find now-a-days on slope. While the ones do carving on easy fully artifical made slopes which had been cutted to hills, riders on the Alpes ride the ground which is formed by all the natural enviroment activities.

Look at this black slope embeded to boulders of that mountain flank from the picture above. It's not shaped at all by bulldozers:

typical_slopes_of_Alps.JPG

At the left lower corner of picture you find a skier.

Well, this picture isn't from Alagna Freeride Paradise, but it shows even similar things where we do carving in Europe. Northface with no sun over 4 months, and many more ice for sure. Thats way above any artifical build children slopes on a small hill. There you can find blue level (for US =red) slopes for sure, right beside a short beginners lift. Blue levels slopes can reach only 3% of all slopes on resorts of the Alps!

Carving such/this black slope (see black sticks on border of slope) looks like that:

Carvers_choice.JPG

On European Alps hardbooters like to carve hard such slopes on the end of the day. The slopes are prepared well by skiers over the whole day. Even on lower light of late afternoon, carving becomes then a more interessting thing ever. Wrong skill wouldn't work here! Maybee I should write there are victims, which doesnt survive riding that slope.

Well in this case of picture with red dots I was invited by a filmer to perform carving that slope. He was a Pro, maker of spectacular Alaska snowboard movies too. Comming from a freeride/freestyle snowboard company, with some pro-riders beside, he ask me to ride/carve some turns there for his movie, even if I was on hardboots.

That's amazing, isn't it! Who was asked ever before here on forum by professional softboot snowboarders/filmer, for to ride and demo hardbooting on such places?

And it was hard for me to do that, because I was on a general purpose board. A board which had a good stance setup for riding powder-snow. Stance wasn't as good for carving (let shift bindings 4cm more foreward and it carve well). So no hyper-super and pimp-it to extreme carvingboard below my feets, no metal inside, no funny plates above it, and for sure no riding on best new shaped blue-level slopes.

For to have best movie quality the filmer followed me riding himself with a big size and powerfull 3-axis gimbal camera stabilizer.

I hope I will see a sequence of it upcomming winter.

Conclusion:

I think people of up-comming countrys in wintersports should know how limitations are set. Not usable skill and poor ability of challenging slopes dosn't mean they can ride or carve great.

Thanks Excarving for posting your videos.  I assure you that the vast majority of members here at BOL enjoy seeing our  "brothers of alpine" ripping it in Korea.  Your videos are well done and conditions of the slopes look excellent.   Please do not let some of the rather brash posts deter you from posting more videos.  We really do enjoy them. Thanks, Bryan 

now i cancel some part of my post. ...... I ask your understanding :-)

No no! Please, don't change anything! You guys love riding and it shows in your videos! Please, post them back up again so we can enjoy them.

Ignore the three people posting negative comments. I haven't seen anything positive out of any of them for quite some time.

• Like 3

No no! Please, don't change anything! You guys love riding and it shows in your videos! Please, post them back up again so we can enjoy them.Ignore the three people posting negative comments. I haven't seen anything positive out of any of them for quite some time.

You have not understand my post.... It's not negative.....

The next time, it's necessary to think before write... ;)

• Like 1

Excarving, nice vids; yes, ec is possible no bending but push-pull is too important to ride on steep slopes or in moguls.

On flat slopes all is possible, even no bending.

In Italy or Swiss (also in Zinal) or France not always the slopes (the snow) aren't in good conditions like in Corea so without push-pull ec is not possible.

Of course, rotation is fundamental!

Hi agree with jeff33.

Also my post wasn't negative!

What happened to the video links?  This thread is in the videos forum; might as well keep the video links.

In reading the posts here now, I think the negativity level was pretty low; more like a technique discussion sparked by the videos.

Technique and style are a per-run, or even per-turn decision.  Not every style is a good match for every run, and not every variation of technique needs to be on display in every turn to make it a good video.  Keep the videos coming.  I like watching videos that show people having fun and being passionate about snowboarding.  It doesn't matter what terrain is NOT in the video; just what you do with the terrain that IS in the video.

excarving: now i cancel some part of my post

Please don't do that! There is no need to delete things. There are only things to discuss. Even on video section we can discuss. Even in case of writing of things which are not ridden like described (rotation and so on).

Like I wrote on my post they develop their own way for it, it's o.k. to see different riding styles/slopes. There isn't "no good feel".

On the other side, there must bee room for to show where Alpine snowboarding is comming from and where/how it should be ridden.

For sure if you look-up internet and youtube for Alpine snowboarding, it seems to be now the most lame movings of snowboarding in general. But Alpine snowboarding mustn't be / wasn't lameboarding.

There are too much people which has no idea about what Alpine snowboarding is. They bought Alpine snowboards, many boards, or expensive boards but are not able to run true Alpine snowboarding. And because GoPro and digicams are such cheap these days many carver put every / a lot of simple ride/turns to Youtube and forums.

corey_dyck: Ignore the three people posting negative comments.

Talking/writing from negative comments only member does which maybe are not able to understand what true Alpine snowboarding is, or they are not capable to run true Alpine snowboarding at all.

Just one simple Question to them who don't like to understand what true Alpine snowboarding is.

Is your skill good enough to uphill this T-bar lift? Even with that right one short-rod T-bar which is as nervous to ride? Even if you need to cross that slope/way?

This surface-lift is located at Italian-Swiss border. It's simple: if you want carving down a mountain go up-hill at first.

strong-T-bar_lift.jpg

Well, ones rather go to resorts with comfy chairlifts for uphill and downhill than easy slopes.

As H2O wrote: ... steep slopes or in moguls ... Italy or Swiss or France not always the slopes are in good conditions like in Corea

I posted some months ago videos of a good place in the Alps for let it carve extreme. They shows us what happens, if skill is missed or wrong, it's so funny to watch:

and now some snowboarders, enjoy it:

(father and daughter)

and at least one more funny movie:

That was at Harakiri slope of Mayrhofen (Austria). There over in the Alpes, we have similar, and/or steeper slopes with 1000 ft of vertical drop. Harakiri has only around 330 ft, so crashes are limited to only one third of lenght like on other resorts.

And yes we had a victim at Harakiri one week ago. Victim was from an up-comming country of East Europe, he ignored all the warnings on entry of slope (can be sawn on videos too) and he didn't survive riding that slope.

Let us just turn back now to Corea and carvingboard maker Oxess as an example.

This month Oxess snowboards show us a video on their website from Corean riders carving on Oxess snowboards.

And just same month there was an interview at one (of many) of a leading newspaper in Europe with Oxess founder Brunner.

Giving many figures and informations to journalist, at least Marcel lament he can't deal with his boards in his country and around the core of the Alps. He do export them only.

Same thing to Kessler snowboards. Kessler is not capable to sell many boards to own country and around the core of the Alps. Kessler snowboards are pure export goods.

There are reasons for it!

The one thing is riders on core of the Alps want to run Alpine snowboarding, not Alpine lameboarding!

The other thing is you can buy many much better performing boards (even customs too), mostly not known on internet or here at BOL. Like leading Ski brands of Worldcup, they don't sell any boards online, you get them only in stores. (no sales without personal consulting)

One more thing is you pay less then the half to less then a third for a better performing board as for SG, Oxess or for Kessler, even with customisation!

A fourth thing is people like to run true Alpine snowboarding. Snowboarding like here,

Carvers_choice.JPG

on slopes whitch are real and not just artifical made for beginners.

Thats why some usable riding technics had been developed for it. It contains "rotation", even if rotation is one single part only of movement.

On the Alpes you will find resorts they do not have any other slopes than black ones (double/trippel diamond for US), except them beside beginners lift.

E.g. 3000ft (900m) at once black slopes only at another resort on Italian-Swiss border:

3000ft-blacks-only.jpg

Please take in mind: Oxess, Kessler and SG builds boards for FIS races. FIS races runs only on beginners slopes (wide, consistent slopes, limited on length, limited on steepness. The ready for FIS-race boards perform great on such beginners slopes, so they are adapted from many carvers around the World for to carve on similar type of slopes. Even if talking about Alpine snowboarding to FIS race directors they turn to a negative comments- mind like someones here on thread. But they make big eyes if they see how true Alpine snowboarding runs. Most FIS racers don't use rotations for making turns on an Alpine snowboard and are strongly limited to manage tricky slopes! If you have the chance, ask one of the FIS racer (maybe an PAR Worldcup overall winner) for to go carving together in a mogul-slope ;-) my big-grin dosn't end now!

Ask them to go carving on steep very narrow pure-ice slopes where ski-downhill racers reach 100mph (160km/h) ;-) my big-grin still holds on.

Similar things can be written about Pureboarding. Joerg Egli's videos and photos shows only wide and easy beginners slopes on best powdersnow from foreign countrys. Well he is an old man now on decreasing vitality, but was limited to such slopes since he started his business. On the core of the Alps people are talking more from poor-boarding then from pure-boarding.