Note to New Members ×

Virus Vampire Delam

NWboarder

Just bought a brand new Virus Vampire and on the second run (yes run not day) a gal cut me off while we were getting off the chair lift.... as a result see pic. I had my shop guy try to fix it but the metal wont stay in place. Any suggestions on fixing this or affixing a nose guard?

post-4077-0-01776800-1423890599_thumb.jp

Edited by NWboarder

Send it to Frank.

Other option, if it was just the pointy tip:

You probably could cut it of to a round or stubby shape, to the spot where metal is still attached. Cutting method should be slow and induce minimum heat. After done seal the edge with epoxy.

Thanks all.

I want to avoid cutting at all costs. I brought it to my other guy.... The guy I should have brought it to in the first place as he has more expertise. He will tap it lightly not to ding the metal and seal with marine epoxy. Thinking of using a Volkl metal tip to cover it if tapping doesn't work. 

no advice here Evan, sorry.   just wanted to extend sympathy/empathy.  a new Kessler of mine suffered a similar ding from a seriously inebriated skier several years ago.  she was laughing at me when she saw that I was distressed about it.  it all required some restraint on my part, for sure.

if it's any consolation, I went on to enjoy that board immensely and ended up destroying it on my own, w/o anyone else's help.

also, at a certain age, both of my girls went through a phase where they would use their ski poles (while on the lift) to scratch their names and various drawings into the snow stuck to the topsheet of my board.   no delam as a result but it doesn't do much for the topsheet aesthetic.  I mention this last part because, if I recall, you have a critter or two yourself  (- :

personally, i think the cap idea (Volkl) is a good one.  if for no other reason than to buy some time to think it through and arrest the damage.  good luck with it.

Has anyone successfully gone after someone responsible for damaging your board? One thing that I found to be standard in the EU was insuring yourself for any liability, such as damage, injury, or death for like 100000 euro. I know a lot of people who wouldnt even consider skiing/snowboarding without one, the risk of causing an accident and then being sued is too high. 

Edited by michael.a

Thanks Dave and Kurt. Your understanding, having gone through it yourself, is reassuring. Just shake my head but hey... albeit the pride of my quiver its bound to happen. I plan on keeping this board for many seasons to come so I know this is just the first of many "war stories". Volkl cap may be the answer but I have yet to hear back from my guy to hear his findings after unclamping. I will keep you abreast of the recovery effort and post pictures after its rehab. 

Edited by NWboarder

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I personally like that bumper.  I think all boards should have tip bumper like that.

Tip of nose doesn't affect performance at all and it's the area that gets dings so easily.

You are that right. But a bumper on a Vampire???

Welp, I had two different techs work on it and each said the metal wasn't laying down, even after clamping it for 48 hours.... so this was the next best thing... With that said I dont want to give up. I am going to ask frank. 

• 4 weeks later...

One last touch. Since I had the Volkl cap on it marks and gouges were left on the leading edge. Most of the nose grind took care of that but there was some residual that was all too visible to me. I taped it off and sanded. First with 280 grit, then with 800 grit, then finally wet sanded at 2000 grit. This top sheet metal is so soft it didn't take much time at all and I was surprised how shiny and polished I could get it. Not liking a near mirror finish I scuffed in the direction of the grain matching the original top sheet. It blended well. I cleaned it thoroughly with 91% isopropyl alcohol and finished with stainless steal cleaner/polish. 

post-4077-0-10177300-1427808362_thumb.jp