Note to New Members ×

Anyone ridden the 4mm and 5mm Boiler Plate?

purpletiesto

It depends on what you are looking to get out of a plate.  There are three Bomber options in degrees of "peddle-ability": the light (most), 4mm, 5mm (least peddle-ability).  I own (and am trying to sell... shameless plug) a 4mm, and have enjoyed the hell out of it however upon trying a more peddle-friendly plate decided I preferred that (hence the selling).  Typically hardcore racers prefer the stiffer plate, but I think that is perhaps more "general" thinking than actual practice as the JJA plates are significantly less stiff than the Bomber plates (I cannot personally speak to the All-Flex or Apex, although I hear the Apex plate is also less stiff).  

How do you ride?  Do you use a lot of individual foot movement?  If so, a stiff plate may take some getting used to.  

Hope that helps a bit.  I am sure more knowledgeable people will chime in. 

Can someone point out how guys pedal a plate and somehow transfer that force to the board itself?  The fixed point and sliding point should completely eliminate the ability to pedal the plate, unless the plate flexes enough to hit the board?

Anyways I love the 5mm version...just bought another.

I wasn't aware that I pedal the board. I'm sure I do, just not aware of it. Possibly on cat tracks to maintain balance if I need to take them home. Is it something I'll do during actual carving/riding though?

So what advantage does being able to pedal the board yield? Is it just low speed manoeuvrability? Or is it something I will notice while carving at a normal speed?

I'm happy to sacrifice low speed manoeuvrability for carving stability...

Or do I have all this wrong?

Your on track with your logic. "Peddling" is more a reference to the ability to manipulate the board with small movements in your feet i.e. applying pressure with your rear toes.  My take on it only, I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong.  You trade the ability to enact small movements on the turn in return for perhaps greater separation between rider and board/snow, which is desirable in rutted up courses but perhaps less so for free-riding, and additionally something that can be overcome to a degree with experience.  As I mentioned it doesn't appear most of the world cup guys are riding plates that are 4X4s.  

I personally decided I prefer a more flexible plate only after trying one, and bear in mind my 4mm Bomber plate already had some give to it.  I think its a style thing for me, and a rider preference only. With plates its important to note that stack height, rigidity distribution (the Bomber plate is uniform between the feet--at least the V1 is, the APEX and JJA plates are not meaning more flex is available for the back foot than the front, for example), construction and a host of other factors also play a role in how much a rider may like or dislike the plate. 

Simple rule of thumb is. You race you want stiff  if your recreational you want some flex. Every plate on every board has its' own character you pick and choose the combination that's right for you. It means you have to invest the time and effort to determine what's best for you. Bomber has the best hardware JJA plate has the most tuning options. Those Kessler squid things are bling and don't really  do much more than dampen " There also a rip off form JP1's design from a few years back. TD3 SI side winders on the front foot and you have another tuning option. See where this is going ? Read the Alpine snowboard plate thread for a start.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply lowrider, I'm going to grab a 4mm plate from bomber. After I broke the donek hardware after half a day, the hardware is the most important thing to me. I'm glad you brought that up.

Read the Alpine snowboard plate thread for a start.

Yep, done that, that's why I'm down to just these two. =)

The stiffer the plate, the more isolated you feel from bumps/disturbances.  But, you sacrifice that fine feel/control that you use when sideslipping.  I felt a bit out-of-control when skidding to a stop or sideslipping with the thicker plates.  You quickly learn how to deal with it, but it feels weird.  You feel very locked-in and solid in carves with the thicker plates.  

Softer plates isolate less, but allow for more finesse over the board.  I never thought I twisted a board until I rode a plate that didn't allow it.  Apparently I do twist the board - frequently!  

I'd say that the thicker plates feel 'serious', while thinner plates feel more 'playful'.  Also consider the Donek AF plate - the unique hardware adds a more connected feel to the board.  

For reference: I bought a Bomber 4mm Lite, and wouldn't go stiffer for recreational riding.  I ride with a plate less than 10% of the time.  Only when the snow is chopped up or terribly groomed.  At SES this year, very few people were on any kind of plate.  

Thanks for the reply, Corey.

I rode a Donek plate and it was reasonably bumpy, but actually didn't notice until I broke the bracket and had to remove the plate. So after talking to some people around here, the general consensus is that the bomber hardware is more... bomber and for safety I'm going to go with that.

I was really happy with the plate though, really liked the feel of it.

Actually once I removed it from the board, I mildly sprained my ankle because I got bumped out of a toeside turn in a weird twisted position. Once the plate was off, I constantly got bumped around like crazy. The other guys still riding plates looked like they were riding hero.

I actually liked the amount of impact the plate removed from myself. Even if just for the safety of my ankles and knees.

I have the V1 5mm plate. It is great when you are hauling ass through chop, but it loses its lustre quickly when you slow down for crowds/cat tracks etc ... the inability to pedal makes slarving around at low speeds kind of a pain (particularly on a big SCR where low speed carving is not really possible) ... But it's great at mach looney.

One thing I've noticed about riding with a stiff plate is that it makes me want to detune the tip of the board a bit (to make it less grabby while slarving at low speeds) - that's not something I have to do normally.

I would think long and hard about choosing a stiff plate for recreational carving. They are fun when you are going wide open throttle, but how often can you do that? (weekend crowds etc). Think about all the places on your mountain where you typically don't carve or have to go slow - all of those areas are going to get pretty annoying with a thick-stiff plate. Of course if you carve on the weekdays and don't have any annoying funnels/cat-tracks to deal with: I'd go for it.

For reference, I weigh around 200 lbs and carve quite agressively.

Edited by queequeg

I have first version of BP-plate so it is 5mm, been on that most of my day since it came out.

Spend some time last two years on coiler proto plate with my own mechs.

I ride 95% of slope time on plate, 50 days only per season anymore. I ride without palte only for test/reference purposes,

(or this season with slalom, wher i found that my own setup works better for me than sliding plate).

My setup is slightly forward from centre and i keep my nose sectio fully shappened, for me it is most important part.

I feel that i can pedal that plate with my whimpy style and 85kg naked weight.

Note that i used to ride sevear years with Tinkler plates before.

Now got  Apex and that is now my main interest to learn about, just waiting to get modified UPM's for that.