Note to New Members ×

A Thank You, Size XXL

Beckmann AG

Back in December, I broke my work sled. Built in 2003, it didn't owe me anything.

I don't need the latest and greatest while teaching,  so asked around for a suitable 2nd hand replacement.

At which point, Jack took off on a mission reminiscent of Jake and Elwood.

This is the result:
post-2631-0-65882900-1422292894_thumb.jp

NewDonek

FC1-163 with metal construction, single radius, full-camber, textured top sheet, close-spaced inserts, special sauce, no cheese. 

A bit of the past, a bit of the present, and a bit of the future.

I'd like to thank the following for their generosity in making this happen:

Alex Juhasz
Todd Brown 
Mark Brown
John McCormack 

Ben Safryn

Ben Schurman

Geoff Vincelette

Derek Bonser

Steve Fowler and David MacKinnon (Go Team Canada!)

And of course, Jack Michaud and Sean Martin.

Thanks guys, seriously.  You didn't have to, but I'm rather pleased you did.

I'll do it justice. 

• Like 7

My pleasure my friend.  Initially I set out to find you a quality used board, but the project organically morphed into this crowdfunding idea after a suggestion by Todd.  Thanks for all you have done for the alpine community over the past ~25 (!!) years.  Enjoy!

Edited by Jack Michaud
  • Like 3

There's not much left of Boardwalk after 'Team Canada's' last training session ; )

Seriously, Erik, thanks for all your advice and helping me think through the setup and mechanics of riding. And for talking about the concept of a "quiver" in the presence of my wife. She now feels she knows a lot about alpine snowboarding, and I feel she at least grasps the key concept that would otherwise have become a source of friction between us.

Best,

Dave

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So:

In the wake of a rumoured corporate budget crisis, grooming has been conspicuously reduced.

And this provides an honest test bed.  None of this perfect cord nonsense.

Ran a half-dozen laps on a wind-burnished, skier scraped, star-polished surface. Hard-packed machine made, white and blue ice, cannibalized freighter plating, random frozen push-piles, fossilized grouser tracks, etc.

(Upper Narrow Gauge, Upper and lower Spillway).

The good news is that I haven't broken the board yet, despite some rather severe and abrupt unintentional pounding on the uneven 'snow'.

Thought I might have hit a sector of the Pavé du Nord on one turn...

The other good news is that the board works very well on less than optimal conditions.

Seems the sweet spot is kinda small, until you get the door open, and then it's expansive.

Kinda like the TARDIS.

Throttled up, it makes this neat ripping sound, like pulling the string on a family-sized bag of chicken feed.

Even though the test surface was almost extremely variable, it felt planar, and this without nose de-camber. (Also noted a few weeks back with heavy 'chowder' over hardpack.)

Thoughts to date:

-Made me realize just how broken down my boot shells have become.

-Have determined how far forward the bindings don't belong.

-Would like more camber. Seriously. I realize camber is out of fashion, and harder for novices to handle, but it does matter.

-Throttle response/snowfeel is muted, no doubt on account of the metal/rubber.  While it takes getting used to in terms of how one can move the board about under it's own power, an apt comparison is to that of a hard-tail mountain bike without, and then with, a decent suspension fork. Yes, the handling is less direct/instantaneous, but the payoff is the time delay between when you hit something, and when that impact affects (or no longer affects) the rider.

It's by no means a fix for lame technique, rather the difference between rolling over the wet roots, or being slapped down by same.

-Requires assertive input. Not a slacker sled.

-White top sheet shows the dirt.

-Has me wanting to go riding in my 'free' time.

-Could be torsionally stiffer.

-Might like it longitudinally softer.  That, or slightly shorter turn radius.  Handling is just a tad large for slow speed teaching duties.

Need a bit more time pondering this last point.

Presently assembling/tuning a new set of shoes, and that's another set of variables coloring the outcome.

Stay tuned...

Edited by Beckmann AG
  • Like 3