Note to New Members ×

Plates on freeride board. sorry i have to ask

Call me jack

So let me start off by mentioning that i tried the search function, but must not be able to get the right word combo

If i put plate bindings on my old freeride/all mountain boards, and ride them just as hard as i ride my alpine board, am i going to have any issues? My concern is that i will pull the inserts out of the board

Sorry to post such a trivial question, when i was on the forums i saw this asked all the time. i just can't find it in search for some reason.

Some larger riders with stiff bindings and weaker boards have had issues. Many riders get along just fine. I've ridden a fair number of freeride and powder boards with F2's and Snowpro's and had a great time with it. 

yeah that sounds familiar now.  Thanks man!

If this is for the Head Fusion- you might want to not mount TD1's  if you have another option, although I rode those on many a free ride stick back when they were the Bomber available.

i actually just updated my gear. the td1s are gone, and i was planning on going with a new softer binding on the head fusion, like an ibex. 

well cool, i'm excited. i just moved out to Montana and it has become clear that i need to take a different approach to riding out here. 

I throw F2's at a '97 Burton Supermodel 81 when it's a powder day.  It works well in the deep stuff, or about as good as I'd expect hard boots to be under those conditions.  I've tried carving on it, and it'll kinda do it, but it sucks.  The board is way too soft, doesn't have enough edge, too much side cut, ect.  Lazy carving is fine, but anything close to decambered railing just blows the edge out of the turn.  Every tool has a job, ya know?  Carving on a wet noodle jibber board with hard boots is like throwing soft boots on a GS board and hitting the park.  You can do it... but... why?

Side note:  Some company was demoing boards at my local hill last year.  They weren't doing anything special, really- the usual freestyle stuff/ sizes.  I asked them if they were going to do any carving boards, and that's when the questions started about my set up.  Long story short, they begged me to put my bindings on their "biggest powder board," a 161 (lol), and go see if I could pull some inserts out.  I couldn't tell you what the specs of this board were, but never in my life have I made so many turns in one run.  Seriously.  This thing turned inside itself.  But, try as I might, I couldn't break it because there just wasn't enough edge hold.  Mind you, I'm a strong rider, and am about 200- 215 with all my gear on.  

Anyway, the whole point here is that it may be the sort of thing where you just can't generate enough power to pull an insert.

I have had a great time carving the Supermodel 181 with plates until I stuffed the nose hard and cracked the core. Then I couldn't lead with the nose at all or it would fold like an umpire at a Lions Cowboys playoff game. 

Also run plates on a Canyon 173, Frontier 185 ( wicked good at everything but tight trees) Ride 177 and several others. 

You should always consider the fact that if you do break the board, you'll probably void the warranty. Just FYI.  Also some boards hold up and perform better than others. 

Who calls out binding type in their warranty? I'm not sure I've seen this.

Who calls out binding type in their warranty? I'm not sure I've seen this.

We don't specifically, but if a customer asks about using hard boots on a freeride board, we steer them away from the phoenix or twin models.  They are the only ones in the line that do not have the same structure around the binding inserts that our alpine/carve boards do.  I would say that we do tend to significantly exceed the insert strength in comparison to other main stream brands.

• Like 1