Note to New Members ×

Alpine board with magnetraction or similar

HHH

The prevailing wisdom is that there are boards made for ice, examples- MADD, Coiler Angrry, Donek was working on a model

Also that most all mountain board work and that one should go a little shorter.Make sure one's edges are sharp!

I'm acutely familiar with icy/hard... it's also a commitment issue.  Icy hurts so people hold back.  Icy needs one's weight firmly on one's edge.

Do some searching of the forum... there's lots of guidance about riding on ice.

PS- The prevailing wisdom is against magne traction.

General consensus is that magnetraction is a crutch for skidders (not people who can actually carve, and emphasis needs to be placed on carving as I've found softbooters have a really weird way of explaining it as anytime the board is 'on edge' regardless of what line it takes) who need that bite in the snow to preven the board from slipping out from under them. It's said that for carving the edges slow you down way too much and leads to all sort of technique issues.

The only thing that I found out that trully works on ice is your technique (perfect balance and very very very low) and sharp edges.

Then again, I still havent ridden on a MTX board yet.

Iciest day of my life last year at a little hill here called Ski Granby. Spring day, hadn't yet warmed up from the night before. Riding the lift and secretly gloating about my Lib Tech Skunk Ape MTX serration and how it would carve up the ice like a Christmas turkey. It cut like a hot knife through granite. I've ridden some pretty gnarly stuff in my life, but I've never been so afraid for my calcified bits as I was on this near horizontal green run. There was zero cutting through this stuff. It was a bit of an extreme case, but I wouldn't be counting on Magnetraction to be the solution. Full disclosure, this was in softies. But I don't think my non-MTX boards would have been any worse. Someone had a 176 Kessler The Ride for sale a while back. I'd LOVE to try that sucker out on the ice for comparison's sake.

I am technically using  splitboarding set up now, K2 Stark boots and  clicker bindings.

Ideally, I would like to find something I could use with my current bindings/boots or use with hard boots.

Walking in the Stark boot is just like walking in ski boots, very stiff. 

not sure what your skill level is but some things that work for me on ice - 

keep your arms in front of you and stay low to the board, don't get into the back seat

round out your turns to control speed 

quiet upper body, work from the hips down

soft feet, smooth but firm pressuring, no jerky movements, make pressing your feet into the turns your goal

make sure to look where you are going, eyes searching ahead, turn your head into the direction you want to go - when it gets sketchy my tendency can be to hold back at which point ice slaps me across the face. Full commitment to the turn

tune your board, practice first, don't look for equipment to solve technique issues (not sayin you have any)

FWIW - there are others on this site that can explain this much better. I am not an instructor. I have a lot of hours on the board so I know what works for me but that's about it.

anyone make an alpine/carving style board with magne traction - icy/hard conditions

Hello HHH, I think no!

Tell us what You think icy/hard conditions are.

I mean there are riders they talk from icy if slope isn't like fresh groomed powder-snow.

There over in the Alps we usualy talk from icy, if you can switch between a board or some ice-hockey skates for downhill.

Only if you can run ice-hockey skates it's icy enough for to name slopes like as icy, look at this:

http://xtupload.com/image.php?id=ADB8_5496CB2A&jpg

the man took a surface lift with his ice-hockey skates for to carve down than the slope after that.

These are the details:

http://xtupload.com/image.php?id=23BD_5496CB5B&jpg

Well in that case fresh snow was falling, so there is one inch of fresh powder covering the icy surface.

In counterpart you should know only well performing snowboards will be good enough for to carve down in a easy way such icy conditions.

I mean there are dozens of boardmakers, even them for alpine snowboards, talking about ice-grip of their products, even if boards are way not usable for to manage such icy slopes, like you can go by ice-hockey skates too.

Riding G-force turns on such icy slopes are pure fun for residents of the Alps. It doesn't matter if you choose skates or raceboards on such days.

Your question was about magne traction or similar tech.

Magnetraction was introduced as banana-boards and rockerboards are comming to store. So as discused above, the bumps along the edge improve edgehold while skidding. Good snowboarders doesn't ride rockerboards, they don't need magnetraction. These things are good for beginners only. You can't see one single rider with rockerboards on slopesltyle and halfpipe events like Sochi Olympic games. Well SBX and PAR riders use lightly rockerboards, known as decambering. They often do skidding and maybe they aren't that good experienced rider (and on way slower speed) than SS and HP riders are.

What can help in your case is using Ulimategrip edge preparings ( ultimate-grip.com ). You can buy snowboards from Yes, or Nidecker comming out from factory with ultimategrip edge. Otherwise some ski-maintaince-shop can tune the edges to ultimategrip.

I ride a GS board tuned to UG edge. But I think icegrip is similar to a normal sharp edge on raceboards. Maybe icegrip is better, maybe only a little. It's hard to say there is a difference without comparing it between exact two similar boards. But UG edge holds better on ice, if edge isn't anymore on best sharpnes.

Hello HHH, I think no!

Tell us what You think icy/hard conditions are.

I mean there are riders they talk from icy if slope isn't like fresh groomed powder-snow.

There over in the Alps we usualy talk from icy, if you can switch between a board or some ice-hockey skates for downhill.

Only if you can run ice-hockey skates it's icy enough for to name slopes like as icy, look at this:http://xtupload.com/image.php?id=ADB8_5496CB2A&jpg

the man took a surface lift with his ice-hockey skates for to carve down than the slope after that.

These are the details:http://xtupload.com/image.php?id=23BD_5496CB5B&jpg

Well in that case fresh snow was falling, so there is one inch of fresh powder covering the icy surface.

In counterpart you should know only well performing snowboards will be good enough for to carve down in a easy way such icy conditions.

I mean there are dozens of boardmakers, even them for alpine snowboards, talking about ice-grip of their products, even if boards are way not usable for to manage such icy slopes, like you can go by ice-hockey skates too.

Riding G-force turns on such icy slopes are pure fun for residents of the Alps. It doesn't matter if you choose skates or raceboards on such days. Your question was about magne traction or similar tech.

Magnetraction was introduced as banana-boards and rockerboards are comming to store. So as discused above, the bumps along the edge improve edgehold while skidding. Good snowboarders doesn't ride rockerboards, they don't need magnetraction. These things are good for beginners only. You can't see one single rider with rockerboards on slopesltyle and halfpipe events like Sochi Olympic games. Well SBX and PAR riders use lightly rockerboards, known as decambering. They often do skidding and maybe they aren't that good experienced rider (and on way slower speed) than SS and HP riders are.

What can help in your case is using Ulimategrip edge preparings ( ultimate-grip.com ). You can buy snowboards from Yes, or Nidecker comming out from factory with ultimategrip edge. Otherwise some ski-maintaince-shop can tune the edges to ultimategrip.

I ride a GS board tuned to UG edge. But I think icegrip is similar to a normal sharp edge on raceboards. Maybe icegrip is better, maybe only a little. It's hard to say there is a difference without comparing it between exact two similar boards. But UG edge holds better on ice, if edge isn't anymore on best sharpnes.

Not sure if you're kidding or trolling

personally, just one nick on the edge will make for errors while on ice, using an edge like the picture I see on the ultimate-grip.com website ( magnatraction) will not be favorable on ice, unless of course you're not carving but sliding and engaging, for example while doing the slide on your side extreme skiing turns, having magnatraction would be desirable for such activity, but...carving on ice wants a smooth edge and you mileage may vary but 87degrees helps;)

Well SBX and PAR riders use lightly rockerboards, known as decambering. They often do skidding and maybe they aren't that good experienced rider (and on way slower speed) than SS and HP riders are. 

My goodness, this is trolling par excellence... 

• Like 1

For me it's quite simple question: if this actually work it will find a use in WC races very very quickly. Northwave .950 for $4000, and many race plates. I bet we'll see some Allflex-like plates soon. MT is there for a longtime, and noone uses that board in WC. Soo... it doesn't work that great on alpine boards.  Yep, I know, there's patents and all that stuff, but for top-WC racers money is no object I guess.

@ursle

Some single nicks on edge doesn't affect edge hold. Well, they decrease speed, thats why Ultimate-Grip will not be found on races. Even like too many metal decrease speed at all. Had You ever hold downhill skier from ski worldcup in Your hands. Edges are thin on that skiers, less than 4/100 inch.

@BlueB (My goodness .......)

Maybe my text was again too much for You, like we did once discuss about carving on some steeps too.

Well BlueB, did You ever ride and fly on a super-pipe? I'm talking from the huge halfpipes. You know, the ones which are part of WST 6-star events. It's just great, You should try it out!

Did You ever ride Big-Air tables? You will get for around 70-100 ft air under Your feets, just a great view above ground! You should try it out!

But in any case, don't miss to take up very high speed before!

Well BlueB, did You ever hold and flex a board of a Sochi Olympics Gold medalist on disciplines I'm wrote. Did You ever inspect and picture-it a board of one more other Sochi Olympics Gold medalist?

I mean he is just from America, You know! And by the way, did You ever ride the same slopes and off-slope area, like that American guy love to do it? He ripp some more tricky and challenging ski areas/slopes than only the wide and open easy ones. There is a difference between boring things and having unlimited fun on snowboards.

BlueB, did You ever talk to others Sochi Olympics finalists. Did You ever flex and discuss with them about theirs boards, prefered halfpipes and so on?

Ahhh BlueB, and now some Alpine snowboard related things: has ever a PAR Worldcup winner visited You at Your home. Even a holder of Big Crystal Globe from FIS = overall World Cup winner of the last Years?

Someones think I'm kidding or trolling. But maybe someones are far away from any scene of snowboarding.

Edited by snowmatic

I think you lose points for that. You're really saying that because you're a star, you're right, which is manifestly incorrect and can in any case be said much more succinctly.

On the old board someone posted a video review of boards with and without this. The review was by a jib magazine. They concluded it was broadly pointless, from what I recall.

Me, I don't care: ride what you will. I don't feel the need to be rude to people who use different tools from me. If you feel that way, perhaps riding mainstream gear would be more appropriate.

• Like 1

@BlueB (My goodness .......)

Maybe my text was again too much for You, like we did once discuss about carving on some steeps too.

Well BlueB, did You ever ride and fly on a super-pipe? I'm talking from the huge halfpipes. You know, the ones which are part of WST 6-star events. It's just great, You should try it out!

Did You ever ride Big-Air tables? You will get for around 70-100 ft air under Your feets, just a great view above ground! You should try it out!

But in any case, don't miss to take up very high speed before!

Well BlueB, did You ever hold and flex a board of a Sochi Olympics Gold medalist on disciplines I'm wrote. Did You ever inspect and picture-it a board of one more other Sochi Olympics Gold medalist?

I mean he is just from America, You know! And by the way, did You ever ride the same slopes and off-slope area, like that American guy love to do it? He ripp some more tricky and challenging ski areas/slopes than only the wide and open easy ones. There is a difference between boring things and having unlimited fun on snowboards.

BlueB, did You ever talk to others Sochi Olympics finalists. Did You ever flex and discuss with them about theirs boards, prefered halfpipes and so on?

Ahhh BlueB, and now some Alpine snowboard related things: has ever a PAR Worldcup winner visited You at Your home. Even a holder of Big Crystal Globe from FIS = overall World Cup winner of the last Years?

Someones think I'm kidding or trolling. But maybe someones are far away from any scene of snowboarding.

Yes BS is always too much for me. Exactly like the 70 degrees of rough steep ice you posted before. I inquired about a video or at least a still photo of yourself going down that. We only got talk talk talk, still waiting for the video.

Same like in this instance where you alluded that in some way alpine competitors are somehow less skilled then half pipe riders. Everyone in right mind knows that a PGS Olympian would be better at PGS then an HP competitor and vice-versa. When I called trolling on that, instead of giving a straight answer, you switched the topics, proceeded to question my credentials, riding skills, connections, while alluding how great were yours. That's trolling at it's best...

Do you know what is the inferiority/superiority complex and that a snowboarding forum is a poor place to seek help?

• Like 1

@ursle

Some single nicks on edge doesn't affect edge hold. Well, they decrease speed, thats why Ultimate-Grip will not be found on races. Even like too many metal decrease speed at all. Had You ever hold downhill skier from ski worldcup in Your hands. Edges are thin on that skiers, less than 4/100 inch.

Actually, single nicks on the edge make the difference between holding an edge on ice and losing that edge on ice, but you think what you want, and yes it's fact that an edge with irregularities is slower, so no they won't be found in competition, but circling around and then advising others to use ultimate grip.com as a source for equipment is tantamount to trolling, unless there is a misunderstanding.