Note to New Members ×

Favorite montain ?

slight

The four Aspen, Colorado resorts (Ajax, Aspen Highlands, Buttermilk & Snowmass) are really good because they do a great job of grooming and they are rarely crowded. This is the reason that SES is held there every year (early February).

there is no finer a Wave than the Milk...sure there are Waves that are as good in many places...but a day spent at Milk can change your life, because there is no one there most of the time...:)

Shhhhh Bob...You're going to give our secret away... :)

I love Aspen too. I've never been there outside the Summit Expression Session times though. That definitely adds to the fun, so try to go during that time if you can. http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?42672-SES-15-dates&p=422691#post422691 'Aspen' and 'budget' don't really go together, but you can do things at reasonable prices if you're careful.

For pure carving fun in Canada there are many choices. Nakiska hosts the Nakiska Expression Session once a year in Alberta. It's not a huge mountain but the grooming is insanely good. There are some quite steep runs available too if that's your thing. Last year's post: http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?40450-Nakiska-Expression-Session-(NES)-2014-January-10-12

These are my two trips per year from Manitoba.

Big Sky Montana. No crowds, huge vert, wide groomers, and if you're stuck there on a powder day, lots of steeps. I haven't been there since they linked to Moonlight Basin, but I've heard that is almost too much terrain for one trip. This place reminds me of Aspen with more cowboys and less glam.

Aspen so far for me. It's probably worth the trip from Quebec in February to ride with a bunch of carvers.

I used to design for Marmot.

I freeze so easily that it is pretty ridiculous that I ever considered snowboarding. I wear mountaineering gear to ride...mostly because it is warm and affords the best heat management/venting, durability/freedom of movement/weatherproofness.

I need the freedom of movement because I wear a lot more layers than others for the same temp.

I moved to Aspen a few years ago. Geared up with the last of my Marmot credit. Bought the Alpinist Down parka...good for +10 f to - 30 f

First 2 years ..never wore it.

Sold it. Never missed it. I ALWAYS needed it in late Dec Jan and February in New England,

The cold days in Aspen Jan 2- Jan 8th (not even zero hah ha) . and Feb- 2- 10. Other than that, you rarely need true winter gear, and can even run with spring skiing gear from Feb 11th onward. Our coldest day in February is like Mt. Tremblant's March 25th.

I remember pumping gas in -40 at night in Quebec... the only reason there are smoking hot girls there was because of the fur trapper history where the trappers gave the great looking ones furs... and left over genetics...I think the ugly ones froze to death.

Edited by John Gilmour

• 2 weeks later...