Note to New Members ×

Bruce, for my next race board............

SunSurfer

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-nOMcl_rbgk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Wax techs might well have bad dreams tonight. Heating the base of the board to ensure a water layer underneath appears to be within the FIS rules (p81). They don't seem to have ever conceived that someone might try this! Have to think it will be banned as soon as the FIS sees someone trying it.

http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/documentlibrary/Snowboard/04/36/62/SB_FIS_ICR13Snowboardincludingprecisionsfall13_clean_English.pdf

Edited by SunSurfer

A statement early in the video states that there is a thin layer of water between the base of your board & the snow. I assume that they think that the water comes from melting the snow through friction.

1) How do you ever get going? No friction = no heat.

2) If friction created heat melts the snow then more friction = more speed (?).

This heated base might work but I doubt it is for the reasons they state. I'd like to see a side-by-side test that can prove this is faster.

I gotta hand it to these guys, they are very creative. Their test with a glass board was pretty cool a while ago. I wish they would have run the board through a course vs. just basing it off of "yeah it feels a lot after with 2 batter packs".

The video is proof of the concept that you can heat a board's base. You can potentially reduce the variability in wax requirements with different temperature snow. I would have liked to see a formal trial of matching prepared boards with power on vs. off to see the actual performance gain too. But the concept is possible.

That said, I think that the research to make it work to the optimum would be beyond all but the larger companies. The effect on the cost of a board would be likely to be considerable, and the effect of heating/cooling cycles on durability could be a significant issue.

On the other hand, maybe Fin could develop Powertec heels that only deliver power to the board when you click in, within a battery back pack you wear under your jacket!

Edited by SunSurfer

Agreed, pressure causes the phase change. Same scenario as an ice skate.

The difference in pressure between the edge of a single ice skate blade and the base of a snowboard, each bearing the weight of the rider, has to be several orders of magnitude different.

Science of all sorts advances by currently accepted knowledge being challenged.

The difference in pressure between the edge of a single ice skate blade and the base of a snowboard, each bearing the weight of the rider, has to be several orders of magnitude different.

[sacrasm] Thanks Captain Obvious[/sarcasm] :)

I understand.

ideally we'd have a unrealistically efficient piezo generator in the body of the snowboard, connected to a supercapacitor layer also laminated in the body of the snowboard, which would then power heating elements along the running length of the snowboard edge. perfect for ice.