Note to New Members ×

Attn Moderators

lowrider

Don't know much about keeping unwanted bots away but if they still have a presence within your system how can they be kept out without a thorough purge. They are still present in the NY ride thread. Just appeared in the On ride thread.

Edited by lowrider

Any user names that have posted have got a permanent ban, so they can't post again. This bot primarily made one post per new username, likely because VBB has an option to delete all posts any one user made with just a few clicks. It's much harder to clean up spam if it's all unique users.

Dirty business, but clever on the spam programmers' part.

What sort of challenge questions are they? If they are the sort where you can parse the answer from the question or require pretty common knowledge then the bots can get past it pretty easy. They need to be things that require actual knowledge or a slight bit of research. Example: "What is Bomber's primary product line?", answer being "bindings". Something like that. I tried stuff like "Enter the first letter of each word in this question" and got nailed on the site I moderate. Now with a few well-chosen questions we are getting a spammer every other day, I think those might actually be real people paid to do it.

• 1 month later...

Sorry guys, the forum database is still messed up. Last time we tried to fix it we almost lost the entire thing. We have some other ideas but nothing solid right now. Have to stick with it for now until we find a solution.

About the only way to stop this is new account approval by moderator, with a requirement to explain why they want to be members, preferably followed by approval of the first N posts by each new account.

The downside, of course, is that the mods have to deal with 40 or 50 fake applications per day, plus (potentially) a bunch of post approval. The upside is that account approval / bitchslap doesn't have to be done straight away, and there isn't the issue of removing accounts and posts.

It's a pain in the ass, but automated solutions simply do not work.

Oh, and I still get errors posting from Chrome on my Mac.

I assume the spam issue is different from the database weirdness issue, yes? Having said that, maybe the spam issue could be crowdsourced to a larger group of BOL members? I'm not sure exactly what functionality vBulletin offers, but maybe the first post for a new member could be shared with a somewhat larger group of members (i.e., say approx. 10 members in good standing), any one of whom can approve the post and member registration. If that's possible, it might help lighten the load on the moderators...

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, back with a flurry of spam today.

Normally I will delete "Hard" , last couple days I have been doing a soft delete in part so members can see all the posts we normally delete quietly in the back ground of administering a web forum.

Please continue to use the "report a post", the little triangle icon with an exclamation mark in the center of it. It sends an alert to all mods, that way who ever is handy can address the issue. Posting on this thread if fine, it just may take a bit longer to get the news.

Bryan

Fin has changed the registration so that every new member must be approved by him, I assume with some kind of a Turing test. That should filter out most of the spammers, but there will be a few more hits as they typically register a few days in advance of their few posts.

On the negative side, this means he has to deal with a lot more crap.

Fin has changed the registration so that every new member must be approved by him, I assume with some kind of a Turing test. That should filter out most of the spammers, but there will be a few more hits as they typically register a few days in advance of their few posts.

On the negative side, this means he has to deal with a lot more crap.

Thanks Fin! It sounds like a hell of a lot more work to keep out these useless spammers. Ugghhhhhh

Turing test?

from how many users?

there are activ just now on forum following users:

kbmf8247,

keuw7918,

kjnb6879,

kpww7971,

kwhz5003,

lktr3302,

lymj1529,

mksu8734,

mtbd4392,

mtmk1414,

myne5985,

nsrl8406,

ntse5905,

odfs8312,

okef8815,

some minutes later:

pezf2587,

pfsh5343,

pqeg3625,

pweo2803,

pwxj0896,

qhap1190,

qsyr2585,

qufc2394,

qysv0242,

rfzv9423,

the newest one is:

nA5bD0dB4w

they all can not be found on member list!