Note to New Members ×

Help me find a board!

Longboarder09

Hey everyone,

Longtime lurker here on BOL but finally decided to create an account! I'm wondering if there's certain freecarve board models that:

-Can be ridden all day at resorts, even after all the groomers have been torn up.

-is short enough to carve on the narrower and shorter trails of the Northeast that can sometimes be crowded.

-is Long enough to promote stability and speed. The occasional racecourse now and then can be fun.

-has really good grip on icy conditions and not get too bounced around over ruts.

-has a geometry resembling more of a freecarve/ detuned race board as opposed to an all mountain board.

I think I'd opt for something on the more recent production end as opposed to something older. I do enjoy my titanal F2 Eliminator WC 166, particularly the dampness, so metal construction and a variable sidecut radius would be excellent. As for personal stats, I'm 5'10", 180lbs, and have a boot size of M27.5 to 28 (shoe size 10.5).

Would anyone have suggestions for boards and the appropriate lengths that fit this description?

Thanks so much!

Welcome in out of the shadows!

Depending upon whether you have enough money to spend on a new board you might want to embark on a conversation with either Sean Martin at Donek or Bruce Varsava at Coiler for a custom build.

A plate on top would allow you to carve on torn up groomers for longer, both from the point of view of lumps and quads muscle function, and give you more stability at speed and over ruts.

Definitely go test anything and everything you can. Everyone has different tastes.

I absolutely love my Coiler 167 VSR AM with the XT (average 10.5m radius) sidecut for what you listed. Every board has it's compromises, this one has a lower top speed than the bigger boards but it otherwise checks off every item in your list.

- Can turn really tight for narrow runs

- Handles ice like a champ

- Works amazingly well in chop/soft/powder

I don't use GPS or anything so I don't know exact speeds, but I'd estimate that I prefer riding 30-ish mph and under with this board when carving. If I could only have one alpine board, that would be the one. When you start going really fast the sidecut wants to carve a tighter turn than I'd like, but it can be skidded in that case. If/when I break or damage this board, I'm going to order an exact copy as I'm so impressed with it's versatility.

Note that your conditions of being able to turn tight on narrow runs and very high speed stability are exclusive, unless the narrow runs are also steep enough to put a lot of energy into the board. Narrow to me = 3 or less cat widths wide. Much wider than that and you can pick pretty much any board you like.

Number of people on the hill also plays a factor. If it's busy, the boards with the bigger sidecuts need a LOT more planning.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Please keep them coming! As much as I would like to attend SES to demo things, I don't think my schedule will allow for it this year :(

As for the Coiler 167, do you think it would be significantly different from my current 166 F2 Eliminator WC with hardboots?

[TABLE=width: 338]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]Specs: Eliminator WC[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #E7E7E7]161[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFF]166[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Effective Edge (mm)[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #E7E7E7]1370[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFF]1416[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Nose Width (mm)[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #E7E7E7]299[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFF]303[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Waist Width (mm)[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #E7E7E7]246[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFF]249[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Tail Width (mm)[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #E7E7E7]284[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFF]286[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Sidecut Radius (m)[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #E7E7E7]11[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFF]12[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Board Weight (kg)[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #E7E7E7]3.0[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFF]3.2

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Thanks for all the suggestions! Please keep them coming! As much as I would like to attend SES to demo things, I don't think my schedule will allow for it this year :(

]

We are hosting the ECES locally at Stratton, VT next month Feb 24-28th. This is your only chance to demo some Coiler and Doneks. I highly recommend attending the event for a day or 2. We will be running clinics as well.

I second or even third the motion for the Coiler VSR. I have a 169 Free Carve with the XT turn package and it fits the bill for me. I take a few boards to the mountain with me and if I don't want to change boards or I don't know what the conditions are like, I ride the Coiler. It handles the morning corduroy like a champ, surfy powder puffs are no problem, it skids just fine and is very maneuverable since it has decambered tip and tail. It's also considerable lighter than another board I have of similar size, so jump turning is easier.

All my other boards sit on the sidelines waiting for the proper conditions for me to ride them. If I had the financial ability, I'd buy more Coilers.

Edited by breesej

As for the Coiler 167, do you think it would be significantly different from my current 166 F2 Eliminator WC with hardboots?

Sorry, I haven't ridden that board. It does sound interesting! I assume that with that wide of a waist width, it's designed for use with soft boots and is on the softer side. Maybe not.

Beg, cheat, borrow, and steal your way to ECES. I learned tons, rode lots of cool boards, and met many great people at my first SES.

Looks like support for the Coiler VSR is very high. Would anyone be maybe selling one around here? :D

People just dont seem to part with them for all the reasons Breezy just listed.

ECES is your opportunity to test one for sure and your closest chance as well. Bad thing about them is there is little to No reason to have quiver once you get one of these boards.

My Nirvana has 3 radii. Bruce said the Nirvana came from the VSR.

Mine is the Balance model, with softer mid-section, sidecut is 10.5, 12.7, 12, with 18.5 cm waist.

I originally wanted a VSR after trying Steph's 173, but Bruce recommended the Balance 174.

After reading the link, I'd say Neil is right, however.

Edited by murphy12

Thanks for all the suggestions! After doing some additional searching, it seems like a Coiler VSR or Nirvana would fit what I am looking for. If anyone has one they're considering selling, do let me know. Otherwise, is the best way to contact Bruce info (at) coiler.com? I assume it is going to be a year + wait time if I order now?

My Nirvana has 3 radii. Bruce said the Nirvana came from the VSR.

Mine is the Balance model, with softer mid-section, sidecut is 10.5, 12.7, 12, with 18.5 cm waist.

I originally wanted a VSR after trying Steph's 173, but Bruce recommended the Balance 174.

After reading the link, I'd say Neil is right, however.

Since he built mine last year, Bruce has introduced multiple models of the Nirvana. I wasn't aware some of them had the VSR-style sidecut. Mine is just two radii, 12 to 14.

Longboarder09, I doubt the wait time is a year, but just shoot Bruce an email and ask him what it is. I expect he's busy right now prepping for SES and whatnot.

If/when you test ride some boards, buy the one that you love! That was exactly how I bought my VSR. I rode it at SES and fell in love, Bruce took it to ECES, then I bought it after that. I ordered a board from Coiler in August, received it in December. His times vary with demand.

Also, don't forget to ride other brands. Doneks has as many or more fans as there are of Coiler, and they're also made in North America. This thread is Coiler-centric, but they're not the only awesome brand out there. There are lots more to chose from. Ride them all and buy the one (or ones ;)) you like.

If you decide to get a custom board here is the contact info. Email info@coiler.com phone 1 705 487 0 seven five one Bruce doesn't lurke on BOL but tells it like it is if provoked.:nono: Describe to him what you think you want, then tell him where and how you ride . Listen to his advice and be patient. You can do your own graphics but leave the board build to him. If there is any possibility of getting to ECES or riding other boards do it before you buy. Too much to choose from to just grab one out of the hat.