Note to New Members ×

Age to start a young boarder

gawdzira

My son is 9 this season. He has been skiing 3 years and last year he became a fair to moderate intermediate. Being that I used to be an instructor other people might call him a solid intermediate but I consider him scratching the surface of mastering skiing. I would like him to be a stronger skier before starting to board but I am not sure if I can stop the inevitable again this year.

We only got about 9 days in last year but I am hoping to get closer to 20 or 30 days min this year. He has very good balance and is starting to be able to handle his skateboard and starting to turn in the soup on a surfboard. We have had a trampoline most of his life so I believe that has aided his agility a lot.

Any thoughts? Should I just not even rent a ski set up and start him out on a board. I have an old (mid 1990's) K2 that I have been saving. I think it is about a 140cm. Would I be doing him a disservice by setting up the old board? For the kids, has anything changed that much for a his first season on a board?

I am full of questions tonight and if you ask my wife that is not all I am full of...

Thanks

Alan

I guess I forgot to mention. He has been asking (begging) to board for 2 years. I have been holding him back because I feel like the really young ones on boards don't really have the muscle to move the board and their bodies correctly.

So for me it has been a safety issue as well. I want him to be good enough at what he is doing to not be in too much danger nor a hazard to others.

He has been asking (begging) to board for 2 years. I

as long as they have fun... my two years old daughter want to snowboard, she have princess ski but asked a snowboard.. so I bought one, even if she can't stand correctly for a year, I don't mind as long as I see a smile on her face...

I have been holding him back because I feel like the really young ones on boards don't really have the muscle to move the board and their bodies correctly

Understandable, but that impression likely has more to do with boards that are too wide and too stiff for the child, than it does with the child's capacity.

And possibly one's apprehension of 'correctly'.

Match the gear and context to the child, and they'll get it done with surprisingly little outside information. Particularly when they are internally motivated.

Edited by Beckmann AG
trivialis anterior

You should be thrilled he's motivated. Now stop holding him back. I was of the same mind with my kids all of which are now instructors one dual certified. If winter sports turn out to be a passion for him neither you or his friends will influence which he ends up choosing. Options and opportunity are the greatest tools a kid can have.

Alan,

Shout out to Inkaholic over on the YO LCI!! thread. I believe KarverKai is 11 now and started boarding when he was 3-4. He's quite the gymnast and been hardbooting with our group for a couple of years and is now quite the proficient carver, laying out some nice clean mini-trenches! I'm sure Ink could shed some light on equipment! Personally, I love the fact that there are kids who are motivated to get outside, instead of glued to the game box via flat screen!

James

I learned on a select variety of old burtons/kempers during the late 80's/early 90's at the ripe old age of 9-10. I was probably around 5'2-5'3, and remember having to lug around a kemper rampage, or cruzer 165 which looking back, felt bigger/heavier than I was.

With how far the advancements on boards have come, I think 9 should be more than adequate for starting. Despite the fact most of the stuff I learned on feels caveman-esque now, I certainly had no complaints when I was riding it

I started our son Rob skiing when he was 2 and skateboarding when he was around 4, by the time he was 7 and I was snowboarding, he wanted to switch...the next year when he was 8, I bought a 145 burton something that had no edges for him and off we went...this is a pic I took that first time :)

With your sons Skating, Surfing and Skiing experiences to draw from, you should feel comfortable about his desire to want to get on a board and his ability to draw some fine lines :biggthump

Have Fun...

post-6900-141842402693_thumb.jpg

KarverKai started going to Loveland when he was 5 on the bunny hill. At 6 he was on the big hill linking turns. That was on a Lamar Dragon 110 full camber board. I think it was around the end of the season of 6 yrs old he got a Virus Rookie 99. This was when things really started to happen. All of this riding was in softies as he didn't have the strength to flex HBs. He started in HBs I think 3 seasons ago, so around 7 yrs old. KK is now 10 with a quiver 3 deep of Virus goodies and carves the slope very proficiently.

post-955-141842402711_thumb.jpg

All Virus obviously. R to L is Avalanche FR 130, the newest addition is the 137 GS Jr, and the infamous Rookie 99. We'll have KK write a review of the 137 after he gets some days on it. Currently it has one morning the second day out this season.

Make sure your kid is having fun, others to ride with and watch really helps, thanks LCI, and go cambered as quickly as the kiddo is ready which it sounds like would be starting out cambered. Make sure the board isn't too stiff, KK is now around 60 lbs and can get these race decks into some very small corners when he pushes on them.

Vids can be found of KK learning to ride either in the video section or the Yo LCI! Thread on the Colorado ride board.

Ink

Thanks all for the input. It sounds like this is his year to try boarding. I may have to get a split board so I can still teach my daughter on her skiis (she is 7 years old and had a great season last year on skiis. I had them following me down Snake Gulch at Kirkwood which is a really fun huge gully.).