Note to New Members ×

Boots - more options for open-minded carvers

BlueB

Dalbello has some new yummy offerings!

It seems that my favorite CRX/Carvex/Reflex (also known as Head Stratos ;) ) lives again in the PanTerra boot:

90d78c660fc8e75f2ad6365b39965299.jpg

They come in many flavors. The one in the pic ois soft flex, 90, and comes with semi-AT soles.

Another intersting offering is Sherpa, full AT boot:

2e4eb2b054206748b34bf8d57e531912.jpg

Seems to be built around the same shell as Krypton/Flexon...

There are few others that look interesting, but look for yourself... :)

How much work is it to get these to work with plate bindings? Anything different that the snowboard specific UPZ/Deeluxes?

Hard to say without testing the flex...

I like my CRX/Carvex in stock version for freecarving on solid pack, but preffer the BTSed and softened version for teaching and freeride.

For those who liked the fit of Head Stratos, now discontinued, the PanTerra would be interseting, for sure.

The Sherpa seems to be Krypton in softer version with AT sole - perfect.

To me, the short and off-center sole of UPZ is the main problem of those.

I should specify, in order to get the aforementioned boots to work with plate bindings, what would need to be done?

Assuming that PanTerra is really the same as CRX, nothing needs to be done.

I can not quite see if the front block of the Sherpa is widened, like on some AT boots, or the same as on Krypton. Some AT boots need slight grind on the sides of the toe block to fit into plates.

Hard to say without testing the flex...

I like my CRX/Carvex in stock version for freecarving on solid pack, but preffer the BTSed and softened version for teaching and freeride.

Pity those Sherpas don't come with a Dynafit lug installed. They might have been useful as a hardboot for splitting with Phantoms.

Dave

Some AT boots need slight grind on the sides of the toe block to fit into plates.

when you start modifying the plastic design of the boots, you could potentially run into some safety issues. I have seen some AT boots work fine in plate bindings, but you definitely have to pay attention to this.

also, none of them will be step in compatible.

There's a product opportunity...

Some modification or mechanism which allows you to use any standard ski boot in an Intec type step in heel. Has anyone ever tried to do that? It's so long since I had any ski boots that I can't really remember what they're like. Just lumps of plastic where I'd need the Intec pins...

The Dynafit TLT5 now TLT6 are apparently the bomb for backcountry riding.

Check out the Phantom Splitboard bindings; there are currently a bunch of splitters starting to convert to riding these on Phantoms. Much better in tour mode and there is no compromise in the downhill ride from softies.

As for riding inbounds, I'm on UPZ RC-10s and ATBs. I tried splitting on softies last season :barf: I'm not really a fan of the softies uphill or down. I'm going to assemble a split over the next few seasons. So I'm picking up the tour mode components Phantom is selling this season. Maybe I'll see about some TLT6's or the bindings as well.

Dave

Edited by Puddy Tat

Found a great deal on Gear Trade for Stormtrooper's ST1 which is the Track 325 design for ski boots under Icelantic. I needed a flexier option from my race plug 130 Lange's for skiing. I'm going to primarily ski them but will have the flexibility of migrating to standards. I suspect they're going to be mid-soft.

The Dynafit TLT5 now TLT6 are apparently the bomb for backcountry riding.

Check out the Phantom Splitboard bindings; there are currently a bunch of splitters starting to convert to riding these on Phantoms. Much better in tour mode and there is no compromise in the downhill ride from softies.

As for riding inbounds, I'm on UPZ RC-10s and ATBs. I tried splitting on softies last season :barf: I'm not really a fan of the softies uphill or down. I'm going to assemble a split over the next few seasons. So I'm picking up the tour mode components Phantom is selling this season. Maybe I'll see about some TLT6's or the bindings as well.

Dave

Only if phantom or someone would make a plate binding that can do angles > 30 degrees ... Voiles can do maybe 45 if you modify them but hate the slider plate design . Fin please help ? Us longtime fruitbooters still use progressive angles vs the soft---> hard at boot splitters that still ride duck ...:smashfrea

I found these in the new PSIA catalog. Talked to the owner/inventor yesterday (he also invented the rear entry ski boot), he told me that some of the crossover instructors at Beaver Creek were using these boots. That way if they have a board or ski lesson they no longer have to change boots. Apparently the double Boa system makes them stiffer than any regular soft boot. Has anyone tried these?

http://apexskiboots.com/shop/boots

I'm going to refer to an article we wrote a few years ago. I'm not saying that this applies, just wanted to make everyone aware of what we recommend.

http://www.bomberonline.com/resources/Bomberfiles/product_warning_01_17_06.html

I thought that it was well accepted by now, that toe pieces on UPZ boots should be T-nutted. However, I do not see the relevance to the Dalbello boots, above...

I had great fit and performance from a pair of Technica Pheonix Air 90 boots last season and look forward to this coming season in them.They have two pump-up air bladders in each boot that are not part of the liner.The midfoot bladder can make the width go from 102mm down to 98mm and the achiles bladder is very effective and comfortable as well.If I search out another pair I'll probably go for the 100 flex,though I have been pretty satisfied with the 90 flex.I used them in Sidewinders and Snopros.

I had great fit and performance from a pair of Technica Pheonix Air 90 boots last season and look forward to this coming season in them.They have two pump-up air bladders in each boot that are not part of the liner.The midfoot bladder can make the width go from 102mm down to 98mm and the achiles bladder is very effective and comfortable as well.If I search out another pair I'll probably go for the 100 flex,though I have been pretty satisfied with the 90 flex.I used them in Sidewinders and Snopros.

$364 at http://www.the-house.com/tc2p90as09tob11zz-tecnica-ski-boots.html. Seems like a good deal.