Note to New Members ×

Alberta - flash flood

CarvingScooby

Yeah, downtown and a lot of neighborhoods along the rivers (we have two) are a mess. They figure downtown will be closed until mid week to let transformers dry out. Gonna be a lot of cleanup to do. South of us is bad too, as is west.

I'm in the deeep south, no where near the river and up high. It's funny...if it wasn't for internet and TV, and if I had stayed in the 'hood, I wouldn't have even known anything was amiss.

My sons winter accommodation was flooded in Canmore. Close friend in Calgary reported his roof didn't leak but the flood waters invaded his whole house except for upstairs bedrooms. Gas and electricity is shut off and many will be homeless for some time. The view of the river behind his house was nice in April when I last visited but the image of his house submererged is quite another. The snow at Sunshine this year was impressive the late season snow coverage especially so. I guess there is a price to pay for that special experience.Trans Canada highway as well as rail lines closed due to washouts in Canmore Alberta. Check out some of the images @www.alberta flood

As Gary says ... it was definitely an interesting weekend. The weather at my place was lovely - birds singing, the washing on the line, and the dogs running around in the yard. But hop in the car and go for a drive, and all hell had broken loose. Thankfully, we heard this morning that our office building has escaped major damage, and we can go into work if we can get there. Getting there is the issue, though. I leave for vacation in France on Wed, and I have to go in tomorrow and finish some stuff off - I'll likely have to take the bike and ride in, as all the roads are closed and the C-Train lines are a buckled-up wreck.

I'm very lucky. Some of my friends were not so lucky, and there are a lot of displaced people. There's a lot of secondary disruption too ... all the public schools have called it quits for the year a week early, so parents are having to scramble to look after kids, and lots of people are having to change travel plans because a bunch of highways are impassable out of town. It's a mess, all right ...

Edited by Allee

Glad to hear everyone is OK if a little soggy. The water is coming through Saskatoon now, and we are getting a little flooding in river-adjacent streets but it has peaked and there won't be any serious damage.

Whiteswan Drive is a little soggy at the intersection with Ravine:

8573871.jpg?size=620x400s

Edited by Neil Gendzwill