Note to New Members ×

A huge loss for the community and fellow carver Chris Webster

fin

It is with a sad heart we want to announce to the Carving Community the death of Meg VanSciver, our friend and the fiancée of Chris Webster. Meg died from a paragliding accident last Sunday in Golden, Colorado.

You can support Chris and Meg's family either through posting on her page HERE or by contacting Chris directly. Or just leave a kind note here on this thread. I am sure Chris will read it in time.

I always enjoyed talking to Meg as she was a mechanical engineer like myself, but was doing much more noble things with her skills. She worked for "Engineers without Boarders" and I would always ask her about that experience. Below is a great picture of her and Chris with their (and all ours) friend Kevin at the past 2013 Summit Expression Session in Aspen.

Chris, we are thinking of you and are thankful for the time we had to get to know Meg, a wonderful woman.

post-1-141842393425_thumb.jpg

the memorial today was very sad and very powerful.

i am sure he would want to here from fellow carvers.

please email me for his email or #

Agreed. But it was in a beautiful place, on a beautiful day, and lots and lots of beautiful people expressing so much love. I learned a lot about Meg today, and although very honored to know her, wish I would have known her better. She sounds like an amazing caring person. Chris, we love you!!

Mr Webster, It was truely a pleasure having you and Meg join myself and the other knuckleheads over at lovey, and I hope you continue to join us on sundays in the future. I did not know Meg very well, but the impression that I got from her was of a truly sweet and genuine person, free of any pretentions. That was so cool of here to join us for beers at the end of the day a month ago, and not be put off by all of our geekiness, and not be offended by Juhwans "mini mario" comments just because she was wearing a lime green jacket like mine. You have my deepest sympathies and condolences, and that offer of a bike ride stands, just give me a yell when you are ready

mario

Chris,

Prayers and condolences to you and your's. When I met Meg at Loveland last month at our after-riding 'skeller session, she seemed like such a sweet and wonderful person and you both seemed so happy. Truly saddened for your loss. Please come join us again next season. Nice thing about this group... you're never alone. God bless you, my friend.

James

I'm misty-eyed writing this. I don't really know these folks but, the point is that I'm moved that others on the forum are pushing boundaries in other sports and pursuits. It makes me proud to be a forum member. We don't just carve snowboards and then wait for the next winter season. We all have interests and skills that make a very diverse community. Each of us contributes and adds to the forum. Whether it is on waves, on asphalt and urethane, or on water with kites and boards, bikes, or trikes. The goal is the same: keep moving and making turns in life. My dear condolences to Mr. Webster and the Carving Community.

Mark

I work in Golden and have ridden my bike up Lookout Mountain many times. I often see the paragliders soaring overhead. I've thought that must be the closest to what it feels to be a bird. I've thought that I'd like to try it but I doubt that it is something to just try - you really have to go all-in. I know that there is a risk to it but I think all of us carvers take what we believe to be calculated risks. Life without risk wouldn't be much fun. I never met Meg but by all accounts here, she was a wonderful person.

Chis - you have my sympathies.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...