Note to New Members ×

TIMBERLINE Spring/Summer 2012

Good times my friends!!! I am pretty sure Sean and Todd felt welcome in the PNW!! It was a real treat to see them again! Thanks for taking time to drive back down to Portland to meet with us. Good chance to hang with like minded folks and talk the talk. Oh yeh and drink some 9.5% beer and meat pie too!! Thanks everyone for finding time to get together with short notice , it is the most fun I have had in a long time. Bryan

Hey Bryan, thanks for putting that together! It was great to meet up with Sean and Todd and see the rest of the local crew too -- a couple people there I'd never seen without helmets on; always nice to finally put a name with a face.

Like Gavin, I can't actually describe anything that we saw, but I am pretty damn interested in getting my hands on some of the gear they were testing...will have to see if I can possibly ride more than 6 days next year.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it was like any winter day in February at Timberline today.

Hard to believe it was MAY 23rd .... and not FEBRUARY 23rd !!!!

It was snowing all day long ...and the road was even covered in snow.

post-7154-141842368629_thumb.jpg

I met Randy up there again and we had fun riding in Powder around Stormin Norman.

Was not the best snow ...but was still fun...

I am still practicing trying to ride backwards ... needless to say ..I fell on my back twice.

I think Randy and I will both be up there on Friday.

I think my wife, Nichapat will come up on Friday as well.

Should be sunny and nice up there on Friday....or MAYBE NOT ...as I just noticed that the forecast is now saying it may rain up there on Friday.

If raining ... I wont go on Friday.

Will keep watching the weather ...

Not many days left of the SPRING PASS ...and really do not want to go up there on a Holiday Weekend...

But may just have to !!!

Hey Kelvin ...

Hard to believe ... but have not ridden my SWOARD yet.

Waiting for Magic Mile / Palmer to be open when I am there.

So still riding my Bastard !!!

And still staring at my SWOARD lying on the living room floor !

post-7154-141842368635_thumb.jpg

Well can't stop staring at two of my favorite things....

A SWOARD in one hand and an Assault Rifle in the other hand ...

What more can I ask for ????...

Well maybe a DUPRAZ Powder Board for next winter.

Looks like LESS rain predicted up at Timberline for Friday ...

Anybody else considering going again before the end of the Spring Pass on Monday ????

I'm still hoping to go tomorrow ...

and may go again this weekend ...

but just worried it will be way too crowded being Memorial Day weekend and the last weekend of the Spring Pass.

Gavin

Hi Bryan...

YES ... thanks ...

BUT ... it is expensive ...although I have no doubt it would be great and very good for me...

but more of a negative for me is that it is in Bend and NOT on Mount Hood.

I really do not want to be away from home for so long now....nor do I want to pay for accommodation there.

I'd be more interested in something LOCAL at Timberline....close to home.

Gavin

Hey Gavin, cool, no worries. Just don't count it out. There may be options not yet visible.

Staying in Bend can be pretty inexpensive. Not a long drive from HR either. Chris is an amazing rider, perhaps

if you communicate with him directly you can find an opportunity. There are allot of alpine riders in Bend that are

super cool too. Did I mention the wife would totally dig some of the shopping there?? :)

Hi PNW's

How about we make a plan to go down to Florence later this summer ...

Maybe in August when it is hotter and spend a weekend SAND BOARDING ...

Don't know about you ... but I will want to organize to get one of these Dune Buggies to take us up each time.

Seems like unless you have a local guide with a Dune Buggy ... you are going to be stuck on the BOARING SLOW BUNNY SLOPES !!!

Pity they are not as good as the dunes in Peru or in Namibia etc ...

But should be fun ... IF we can organize a Dune Buggy !!!

Just a thought for the summer !!!

Gavin

Edited by GavinB
Spelling Mistake

Hi Bryan ...

Of course "Extreme Sandboarding" ...

As long as I can borrow YOUR Snowboarding Pants, Jacket and Gloves !!

As for Timberline today ... (Friday 25th)

Only lift open right now is Pucci ... due to high winds ... and FOG ...

So I will be staying home today.

Might be FORCED to go on Sunday and or Monday now...

as Saturday is still looking a bit iffy ...I do believe.

Gavin

Magic Mile was nice from around 9am till 11am or so today.

Palmer opened later than Magic Mile... but was not well groomed (as usual) at all.

I did one run on Palmer and went back to Magic Mile ...

I did ride my SWOARD today and LOVED it !!!

On two or three turns ... the board seemed to want to go STRAIGHT DOWN the hill ..

and did not come around underneath me on the turn ...

Not sure what I was doing wrong there ...

The same thing has happened on my BASTARD before ...

A good way to stretch your back ...

But obviously something I am doing wrong... but have no clue what yet.

Other than that ... the transition to the SWOARD was seamless.

I pretty much decided today that I will NOT be buying a summer pass at Timberline...

I will try and go back there Sunday and Monday ... the LAST two days of the season.

I thought I saw another alpine rider today ... but not 100% sure.

I waited a while at the top of Magic Mile for him to come back up ...

but never saw him again.

There were a lot of people on Palmer ... but Magic Mile was not crowded at all ..

even though they had a bunch of race lanes set up already.

Anybody going Sunday and or Monday ???????

Gavin

Went to Timberline again today ...

Rode with Warren who was riding his Donnek.

It was OK up there today ...

Got there at 8am and only Magic Mile was open to the public.

Pucci has a Race going on this weekend....so is blocked off ... Stormin Norman is closed for now it seems.

Palmer opened later as usual, but has been consistently Badly Groomed since it opened this season.

The grooming on Magic Mile has not been so good either on most days this spring.

I left at soon after 11am.

Needless to say the grooming at Timberline continues to disappoint me....

even more so now when I am looking for a nice groomed run to ride my new SWOARD on.

It made me remember the days when I had a summer pass and would be annoyed ..

that the RACE TEAMS all had perfectly groomed runs ... and non racers were pushed off to the side with NO Grooming or very poor grooming on most days.

So definitely decided today NOT to buy that summer pass.

It was surprisingly empty today ....

I probably won't even go on the LAST day of the SPRING SEASON tomorrow ...

unless somebody else is going for sure ...then maybe I will consider going again early for a few hours.

Otherwise I am ready to call it quits for this snow season.

Next stop FLORENCE on the Oregon Coast for some Sandboarding later this summer ..

Then on to the French Pyrenees and the Swiss Alps in January 2013 to ride with the SWOARD guys there.

Then hopefully on to Aspen in February 2013 again.

And of course, back to Mnt Hood Meadows hopefully by the end of November 2012 !!!!

Gavin

Well today was the LAST day of the Spring Season Pass...

and the last day of Snowboarding for me ... until I go again... when ever that may be.

The snow was actually really nice today.

Magic Mile was pretty good ...

Was up there with my wife ...we had fun for a while ...then left.

Saw Warren riding under us a few times ...

and bumped into him on the way to the car park, as we both left at the same time.

My new Swoard on the way up the chairlift.

post-7154-141842368713_thumb.jpg

The view of the top of Mnt Hood with some cool clouds ever changing over the top.

post-7154-141842368716_thumb.jpg

And some other regular snowboarder ....as there was no other Hardbooter to take a photo of.

post-7154-14184236872_thumb.jpeg

So that is the end of my Timberline Reports ... until I go again... maybe I will buy some single day tickets this summer...

Maybe ... Maybe Not !!!

Time will tell.

Gavin

Very cool Gavin!!

You should share the photo of Mt Hood and the Swoard with some of the EC sites. That is one of the only Swoard snowboards I have ever seen on Mt Hood!!! Certainly doesn't look crowded. You do get one half price ticket during summer session in that Spring Pass deal right?

Hey ...

Sorry if it was me who misled you into making you think that you can get 50% off all the days you want to ride this summer if you have a SPRING PASS for Timberline.

I originally thought it was 50% off the entire summer pass ... but that hope was very short lived.

The actual deal is that they will only give you ONE DAY at 50% off if you show your spring pass!

as stated below on: http://www.timberlinelodge.com/play/skiing-snowboarding/spring-pass/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ski This Summer

Have you ever tried skiing in July? How about August? Well, this is your summer to give it a go.

As a Timberline Spring Pass holder, you’re entitled to one 2012 summer lift ticket at 50% off the normal price! Just show us your pass,

and we’ll issue the discount. (The discount is for you only and may not be transferred).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So ... maybe all those of us with a SPRING PASS should chose a day this summer to meet up there !!!

And maybe drag some others along who did not have a spring pass.

Just an idea!!!

Gavin

• 2 weeks later...

FYI.

post-198-141842368877_thumb.jpg

One of my oldest ski buds (Don) is traveling through the area on his way to WA. He may be stopping though again this summer. Once I get more done on the house I would love to host a BQ N Beer at my place in Vancouver. If we can get some of the crew together that would be fun?

Bryan

Saw this photo on FB and I just thought it was funny. Had to post it somewhere :)post-198-14184236888_thumb.jpg

Al, me , Fin SES "Old School" contest a few years back. Fun memories

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Hey All,

Was thinking about going to T'line for Father's day. What are conditions like nowadays? Never done summer riding. Is it worth it? Any info would be great. thanks!

Kelvin

Oh BTW Bryan keep us posted on your party. I'm out of town until July 6 so anytime after that I might be able to make it...

Kelvin, I have not heard from any local riders about conditions. Day by day, but snow pack is excellent. Camps are starting so it's going to start getting busy. Having not done it, I would say definitely go for it. Suggestions? Be early (an hour) expect an icy start, use a liberal amount of sun protection. Go on a clear day. Bring all your boards :) and enjoy the hell out of a great experience. Tickets are now 58$

PS. It probably wouldn't take much to talk GavinB into going. He knows his way around the summer gig.

Have fun, take a camera PLEASE!! Bryan

Today looks "Bonus" although I would expect the snow surface to be a bit sticky 52 degrees with 2" of new overnight

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/conditions/

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/webcams/

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Saw this photo on FB and I just thought it was funny. Had to post it somewhere :)[ATTACH]30794[/ATTACH]

Al, me , Fin SES "Old School" contest a few years back. Fun memories

Dude, that was epic. Fin built up the suspense, culminating with you being denied lift service with the vintage Burton gear. The crowd positively erupted. My wife said she'd never seen that kind of energy in a room before.

Dude, that was epic. Fin built up the suspense, culminating with you being denied lift service with the vintage Burton gear. The crowd positively erupted. My wife said she'd never seen that kind of energy in a room before.

Hi Corey, that was some seriously good fun indeed. I don't have very many photos of the contest but I am grateful for the low res photos I was given. Fin was definitely into it and I thought maybe he should have won for the great goofy get up he came up with. I was "Mid 80s" during the contest. Although I did do a early 90s set too. Including riding a mint Lib Tech "Inner-course" complete with era Burton "Vari Plates". I bought it new and it spanked me pretty hard back in the day. The "Crack" in the neck of the skeleton was appropriate. Good times!!