Note to New Members ×

TIMBERLINE Spring/Summer 2012

Hey sounds like fun! Will temper the withdrawal from winter. Looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone.

Kelvin

Cool Kevin!!! Looking forward to meeting you!! We have been missing for years.

Just got an email from Jim M. sounds like he will plan to be there too. He asked a good question. "Friends"?? Absolutely. Friends, wives, are certainly welcome. That question from Jim is due to my limits on folks invited to my home gatherings. I need to have met you prior to the invent. I just don't want to even be thinking about strangers when relaxing at home with friends.

Please contact those that I may not have thought of. Sounds like it is building!! Bryan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to Timberline yesterday... only got there at 10 AM .... and rode up Magic Mile right away.

Got to the top and got a very rare work "EMERGENCY" call!!!

Two of my staff went AWOL on a CRITICAL day ....

Needless to say I had to rush down to my car and drive home to sort out the mess from afar !

Unfortunately the snow was really nice on the way down ...and it was hard for me to go to the car.

YESTERDAYS Snow Phone Report at 7 AM said 25 degrees and light winds ...if I remember correctly..

and the snow was great on Magic Mile at 10 AM !!

After a very (rare for me) stressful day ...till 10PM .... I sorted everything out ...saved the day ...and everything is good again!

So off I went to Timberline again today.

Snow phone at 7AM ..IF I remember correctly said something like 32 degrees already ...and NO winds were predicted..

So I thought it would be PERFECT at 9 AM ...

Well I met up with Randy (1st time) at the bottom of Magic Mile about 9:15am or so and we rode up Magic Mile...

It was really ICY and NOT good for either of us.

We did a few not very enjoyable runs ...then sat down at the top of Magic Mile for a while ...

That still did not help ...so we rode at Stormin Norman for a little while and that was really fun.

Then back to Magic Mile and then it was really NICE !

The GROOM was pretty much PERFECT and WIDE ... and the snow had soften just enough to make it really good!!!

I know at 11am ...the time I was planning to leave ... it was still way to ICY for us ...

I think it may have been NOON by the time Magic Mile was good !

There was a COLD wind this morning that probably kept it ICY !

We did then did one run on Magic Mile ....

It looked nice from far ...but was far from nice.

It was not well groomed and was soft and NO fun ...

We went back to Magic Mile which was still good !!!

We had fun !

Randy tried to video me ... but his video skills are disastrous and I deleted them so that you would not get vertigo as he turned the camera sideways and upside down etc.

Anyway ... he did take one that was OK to post ...and I took one clip of him that I will post !

The view from the bottom of the Magic Mile Lift ...

post-7154-141842368095_thumb.jpg

This is the video clip of Randy on Magic Mile ...

OH !!! Sorry ... I have to find out how to do this first ...

I thought I could just upload it like a photo ..

So you will have to wait a bit for these two clips.

Sorry !!!

Edited by GavinB

I'll be up at Timberline at 9am most likely on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday ...

Baring I have cleared up the disasters with my Staff at work.

Been a very hectic time since Thursday ... but hopefully all good again.

Will see what happens tomorrow morning with the Staff.

I sure hope all is back to normal so I can have fun at Timberline on Wed, Thurs and Fri.

My Gen 4 SWOARD 168H Extremecarver is supposed to arrive from Europe tomorrow...

but I will be riding my BASTARD more than likely on Wednesday. Thursday and Friday.

Hey Sean and Todd, cool to hear that you're coming out to ride Timberline! And Bryan, good call on rallying the locals for pizza and beer night.

Sean and Todd, I don't know if you're staying in Portland or closer to the mountain, but here are a couple of potential spots in Portland.

-<a href="http://www.vincentesgourmetpizza.com/">Vincente's</a>: good pizza, extensive beer selection

-<a href="http://hopworksbeer.com/">Hopworks Urban Brewery</a>: pretty popular local microbrewery. Can be kid-heavy at times though.

-<a href="http://apizzascholls.com/">Apizza Scholls</a>: <a href="http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/07/apizza-scholls-pizza-portland-oregon-or.html">Amazing pizza</a>, but if your timing is off, you can wait a long time for a table here. Also, not that roomy if anyone wanted to show off any top-secret new snowboard equipment (hint, hint).

I'd lean towards Vincente's - any other preferences or thoughts from locals?

Time to firm up the location to meet at. I am good with any of Dan's suggestions. I have been to Hopworks and I liked the industrial feel. The online comments are a bit more mixed on Vincente's , however , I would like to see a new place and if Dan likes it , it will work well. Not allot of info on their website. Both of these are pretty close and easy to get to.

Jim M. knows his pubs pretty well. I was hoping he could jump in. Anyone else? Otherwise let's go with Vincentes??

Also. If anyone coming wants to see something in the alpine collection, please let me know and I can bring it. I don't want to haul allot, but a few items are fine. Example. Bomber Boiler Plate? Bomber Sidewinder Bindings. Tinkler custom snowboard (my favorite board , now with BP hardware and a tinkler top plate) Bryan

Let's start a "Roll Call". Hint: cut and past this list and add your name. Folks that have already confirmed.

Bryan S.

Dan T. (hopefully his lovely wife)

Sean M.

Todd B.

Gavin B. and lovely wife.

Etc.

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Bryan S.

Dan T. (hopefully his lovely wife)

Sean M.

Todd B.

Gavin B. and lovely wife.

Kelvin O.

(Would love to see the sidewinders and your mash up step-ins)

Hi Kelvin. Happy to bring some std Td3 SW , I dismantled the TD3SWSI last season I am afraid.

See you there!!!

Hi Bryan

I PAID the computer shop guy down the road to get that SWOARD "Movie" from my Computer to a DVD, so that I can play it at the "restaurant" on Thursday evening.

It is the full 7 or 8 minute HD 1080 version of their short TEASER on You Tube....called CARVED.

Obviously I think it is the BEST Extreme Carving video ever filmed ...and will bring it with ... just in case the place you guys choose will let us play it on their "Big Screen" TV if they have a DVD player.

BTW... It is my wifes Birthday today ... and I am leaving her at home while I go and ride with some guys I have never even met before ...

Needless to say ... I will have to make it up to her ...

so she will be hanging out at Lyodd Center while I visit with you on Thursday evening ... On Saturday I will take her to Seaside to feed the seals again.

That way ... I can ride at Timberline on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday ... baring no repeat disasters with my Staff like on Thursday last week and Monday this week !!!

When you choose a restaurant ... I will call them and see if they will let us play that Video.

Had a good first day today. Rode with Gavin and did some testing on the new plates. Timberline isn't as easy to test gear as A-basin, but the snow was good until noon. We have a plan of action for tomorrow and look forward to dinner with you guys.

Well I rode with Sean and Todd at Timberline today ... then Eric joined us.

Quite a CROWD (for Mnt Hood) !

At 9am it was still ICY on Magic Mile ...

It softened up after a while ...

Around 12:30 (?) we moved up onto Palmer which was quite nice but got too soft fast.

My back binding dug into the snow and it opened up and I smacked (a loud smack) my face on the snow ..

a little blood showed up on my nose .... Maybe a full face helmet is next on my wish list !!

The grooming on Magic Mile was NOT good at all ... Nice from Far ...but Far from Nice !!!

Sean and Todd deployed some kind of ROMULAN CLOAKING DEVICES while testing their new equipment...

So everything below their boots was all blurry and impossible to see or film ...

so sorry ... can't report on anything that was below their boots...

BUT .... as for what else I saw....

Mainly Todd carving down Magic Mile and Palmer ...

Well ... let me say this ..

I thought I was getting a little better these past two months ..

but after watching Todd and Sean

I realized just how useless I am at carving and what a LONG way I have to go before I can be comfortable on NON HERO SNOW !!!

Now as much as I did not want to ... I am even more tempted to buy the SUMMER PASS so that I can practice more before next season !!!

BTW ...the lifts at Timberline now open at 8 AM ... but I don't see the point in being there before 9AM for me ... still too ICY for me !!!

Was nice to meet Sean, Todd and Eric up there.

Look forward to riding with Sean and Tod tomorrow and on Friday.

www.ruroc.com

I did a review in the gear area last year.

Convertible face mask...

I love mine and removing the mask after each run is the best part.

Sorry about the face plant.

Sorry to thread hijack but...

Sean,

I just bought the Bamboo core, custom FC 165 from Big Canuck. Any construction/dims/info would be appreciated. I plan to hardboot on it but I am seriously considering riding it in softies. I bought this in lieu of a custom as it seemed close to where I wanted to begin diving into tailored/customized boards.

Thanks for the updates!! Glad Sean and Todd made the journey safe and sound!!

What, Tline didn't invite you to park your car next to the chairlift??? :)

Did anyone invite Eric? Is it Eric E??? to the get together?

Bryan

Eric E, the guy who specced the Coiler Headhunter? Isn't he in Eugene now? I haven't been in touch with him for quite awhile. I'll reach out to Tim W and see if he's free tomorrow.

We should put a stake in the ground on time and location too -- if there are no objections, let's finalize on Hopworks Urban Brewery. Unlike Vincente's, they have a parking lot, which will make things easier. Let's plan on meeting at 6 p.m. tomorrow (May 16). I'll give them a call and ask them to hold a table for the Oregon Alpine Club.

Hopworks Urban Brewery

2944 SE Powell Blvd

Portland, OR 97202

Hey ...thanks for the link and I will also look for your review... much appreciated. I think I need one of those !!

Bryan... I called Eric (It was his first day on hard boots today, I believe)

but he is headed for some Mountain Biking in Bend area tomorrow, so won't be joining us this time.

Dan and Bryan ...

I do not beleive this is the same Eric you are talking about as he has never ridden with Hard Boots before...

He has been riding REGULAR BOARDS and SOFT BOOTS for a while though... he says he just bought his HB stuff recently...

(I think) !!

Edited by GavinB
Saw new post by Dan.

Yes, please do Dan. Thank you!!!.

Do you know, or would you ask if they have a big screen with a DVD available to show a video of snowboarding??

Directions to "Hop Works" 6PM Thursday Night.

SIDE NOTE:. Channel 8 news mentioned the "Park Training" is going on this week too.

Drat, they don't take reservations. They said that at 6 on Thursday night they should be able to get us in without too much hassle. Oh well, just more time to drink at the bar, right?

I forgot to ask about using their TV, but their website says they do have one, so Gavin, please bring the video and we'll see if they go for it.

Edited by Dan

Did not go to Timberline today ...as I thought I would.

Leaving for Portland shortly ... Going to REI and other Sport Shops etc.

Also want to buy a small HAND HELD VIDEO CAMERA ... one that has a ZOOM ...so NOT a GO PRO !

any suggestions .... I'd be happy spending $300 ... would go up to $400 to $500 if it was really worth making that jump.

Will bring the "CARVED" DVD !

Will bring my new SWOARD and BINDINGS (and Boots) in the hope that somebody will have time to help put the bindings on in the correct place on the board for me.

but NO PRESSURE ...as I know in a Restaurant /brewery is probably NOT the best time or place for that.

See you all at 6pm.

Drat, they don't take reservations. They said that at 6 on Thursday night they should be able to get us in without too much hassle. Oh well, just more time to drink at the bar, right?

I forgot to ask about using their TV, but their website says they do have one, so Gavin, please bring the video and we'll see if they go for it.

If you are still at nine I will stop by. Btw that's when happy hour starts. Wish I could come earlier but have a class. Jim

Good times my friends!!! I am pretty sure Sean and Todd felt welcome in the PNW!! It was a real treat to see them again! Thanks for taking time to drive back down to Portland to meet with us. Good chance to hang with like minded folks and talk the talk. Oh yeh and drink some 9.5% beer and meat pie too!! Thanks everyone for finding time to get together with short notice , it is the most fun I have had in a long time. Bryan

The Photo. Just before everyone took off we grabbed another patron to take a photo. We had to scrunch together to fit in the photo (we were in an alcove) . Sorry I didn't think of taking a photo earlier before Sam and his lovely wife had left. Me (eye patch and snurfie dude t) Gavin B, (Thanks for bringing in your brand new Swoard 168H) Todd B. (you are younger looking then I remember, damn!) Kelvin, (so cool to finally meet you!) Dan (Always good to see you and thanks again for the kitchen sink , it is beautiful) Sean( Great to see you again, exciting developments for sure!)

Enjoy your last day on the hill, I hope you enjoyed Mt Hood Oregon , come back soon ya hear!!

post-198-141842368565_thumb.jpg

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

Looks like it was another sunny day at Tline. Sean and Todd have evidently wrapped up for the day and headed to the airport. Maybe GavinB went too and can give us an update of todays conditions. I am guessing it will be a day or so before Sean and Todd get a chance to post. http://www.timberlinelodge.com/conditions/

Looks like it was another sunny day at Tline. Sean and Todd have evidently wrapped up for the day and headed to the airport. Maybe GavinB went too and can give us an update of todays conditions. I am guessing it will be a day or so before Sean and Todd get a chance to post. http://www.timberlinelodge.com/conditions/

Thankyou to you Bryan and all our excellent hosts in the northwest. My first trip here and certainly not my last!

Today's conditions were the best yet with the snow holding up longer than my legs and stomach could. We got some good video and other stuff to share in the upcoming weeks.

Gavin was out again today and was a very helpful guide in finding some great conditions.

Can't wait to get back out here.

Anyone know how much it costs to rent a groomed lane in June?

TB. Dude!!! Thanks for the update !!!

So happy to hear you hit good conditions. Knowing that it could have been socked in and raining for a week!!

Cost for a lane? Changes , contact Timberline sales directly. Short answer? Allot. You might see if sharing a lane

with one of the race camps works?

Hope too see you back next year (and ride with you)

My guess is you are sitting in PDX waiting for you plane. If you are not and you have time. Come by and visit the "House of Oldsnowboards" before you leave. It is a mess, but you will get a kick out of it. Otherwise, next time.

Sean Martin - president/founder

Donek Snowboards Inc.

smartin@donek.com

www.donek.com

phone:877-53-DONEK

What an awesome trip and we got some great video footage. I will edit it this weekend and post soon.

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?37146-Spring-summer-2012-video-updates&p=377935#post377935

As Todd wrote, today's conditions were awesome. We had a blast.

It was great to ride behind Sean and Todd and watch them ride.

Who ever came up with saying: JEALOUSLY GETS YOU NOWHERE.... had absolutely NO CLUE what they were talking about !!!

JEALOUSLY definitely gets me buying a TIMBERLINE SUMMER PASS ...so I can practice more before next season ..

so that I can ride a little bit more like they do and be better before I get to Europe in Jan 2013 !!!

If you were riding with Sean and Todd .... Jealously would have had you placing an order for those new "Yet To Be Named Things" they were testing !!!!

It was fun up there today.

As for sharing a lane in June or July...

I can talk to the other Gavin of Snow Performance, as he runs some Camps at Timberline each summer ...

And see if he has any suggestions about sharing a lane with him ...

He only has a few people in his camps ...so can't see it being THAT expensive ...

BUT ... can't imagine any race camp wanting to share a lane with us ...

as their "campers" are paying a lot to have as many runs down as possible and won't wanting to waist extra time for us to do our runs before they get another chance.

I'll let you know what I find out next week.

BTW...Sean and Todd ...as you probably realized and I have no doubt Bryan will vouch that this is true ...

Your "Secrets" are safe with me ...as I had NO CLUE what you guys were talking about 99% of the time in regards to the equipment you were testing.

So certainly cannot explain to others what I saw.

As you saw ... I don't even know how to put my own simple bindings on by myself yet.

:o)

Sean ... I will send you an e-mail tomorrow to remind you ...

But don't forget to please find out about that Video Camera for me ...or the current version that is now available.

Was great riding with you guys.

Thanks so much.

Look forward to seeing you in Aspen in February 2013.

Edited by GavinB
spelling mistake