Note to New Members ×

Opinions... everyone has one (on Kessler)

Mellow Yellow

So if you could choose any stock Kessler board, which would you choose and why?

http://www.kessler-swiss.com/en-US/products/snowboard

and for flavor... here is your current ridable quiver... oh.... and you ride small hills in NC :rolleyes:

170 Madd (2004ish/glass)

171 Coiler Schtub (2008/metal)

176 F2 Speedster RS (2001ish/glass)

181 Prior WCR (2004ish/glass)

I would easily say the 168 "all around". Its the most versatile board in my quiver by far. I currently own kesslers in 168, 171, 180. I find myself riding the 168 more than any other board. It is extremely versatile in turn shape. However, it definitely has an upper speed limit short of the 180.

If you're limiting yourself to the stock boards and not taking into account your existing quiver, I would go for the 168. Whatever you do, don't ignore the weight ranges associated with the boards - the 168 is the all-rounder so has a broad weight range but If you choose a slalom or GS board, pick the one that corresponds to your weight.

Looking at your quiver, however, you already have a relatively new Coiler 170 and, given that you ride short hills, a 162 could be great fun.

A third alternative would be to get Kessler to make you a custom ride. I have a 168 freecarve with a 11.3 average sidecut (that tightens slightly in the tail) and it's fabulous - a great all rounder. Having now ridden this board for a year I would go for a slightly longer length (171 or 173) and longer sidecut (@12.5) if I were to order it again. I say this because the board is extremely manouvreable in any situation (so why not go a bit longer and have a slightly longer sidecut for more stability at speed) yet holds an edge better than longer boards from other manufacturers (so no need to go much longer than 173). I think a Kessler built to those specs would instantly make your quiver obsolete!

If you are open to smaller boards, the 162 SL is a serious board. I have the stock 168 and a custom flex 162. The 162 has a lot more rebound and requires more aggressive rider input than the 168 but is so rewarding.

The 168 is smoother at a bit higher speed than the 162 due to its greater dampness and slightly bigger turn radius.

As Stef1 wrote, pay attention to the intended uses of the boards for your weight. The stock 168 works well for my aggressive 145 pounds but the stock 162 I tried a couple of years ago was definitely too stiff for me as it is Kessler's biggest SL board.

Edited by Buell

...The stock 168 works well for my aggressive 145 pounds but the stock 162 I tried a couple of years ago was definitely too stiff for me as it is Kessler's biggest SL board.
going by the sidecuts and weight range, is the listed 168 not also an SL board? it's the one i'd choose anyway, largest of the non-GS boards.

if we can go custom, i'd take a low 160's-cm board, 20cm waist and 12-16-15 blend. donations gladly accepted. :D

going by the sidecuts and weight range, is the listed 168 not also an SL board? it's the one i'd choose anyway, largest of the non-GS boards.

if we can go custom, i'd take a low 160's-cm board, 20cm waist and 12-16-15 blend. donations gladly accepted. :D

I'll start a collection :D You're right that from the specs on the website it looks like the 168 is a slalom board but I've also seen it described on some online retailers as an 'allround' model. And people on this forum who have tried both the 162 and 168 all seem to describe the 162 as stiffer and more responsive...

On small Eastern slopes with hard snow, the 162 SL is my go-to board. I ride the 180 when there is a lot of room but I am getting old and lazy and prefer not to push too hard. The 162 has the right radius for me and eats ice for breakfast. Gabe's video and review is here: http://www.apexsnowboard.com/gabe_tung_review.html

On small Eastern slopes with hard snow, the 162 SL is my go-to board. I ride the 180 when there is a lot of room but I am getting old and lazy and prefer not to push too hard. The 162 has the right radius for me and eats ice for breakfast. Gabe's video and review is here: http://www.apexsnowboard.com/gabe_tung_review.html

After SES 2012 I had the delightful problem of choosing a Kessler from the stock range.

Unfortunately, after corresponding directly with Kessler management in Europe, it's clear the stock standard Alpine range from Kessler doesn't have Apex/UPM plate inserts, unlike the KST SL 162 board Gabe Tung reviews. These are clearly custom builds for Apex or for individual buyers.

I weigh 82-85 kg.

Existing Boards:

Coiler NSR symmetric 180cm with 4mm Boiler plate

Riot Supercarve 180cm

Hot Blast 160cm

Coiler All Mountain 170cm

Avalanche "Chris Saunders" 167cm

I was seriously tempted by the All Round 168, but in the end chose the Kessler SL 162cm, and will probably add a 4x4 Boiler plate mechanism to it in time.

SunSurfer

I was seriously tempted by the All Round 168, but in the end chose the Kessler SL 162cm, and will probably add a 4x4 Boiler plate mechanism to it in time.

SunSurfer

Sounds like perfect choice for the Ruapehu, especially Whaka (I recon there is only one good run next to T-bar adjacent to waterfall express chair, can't remember the name). I might look into kessler 162 as well. Can I get the review? Thanks!

Will go to Turoa during Snovember, gotta use life pass I've got...

Jasen I think you'll be very happy with the 162, if you want some more feedback, email Steph and Alex they tried the entire Kessler fleet.

Given my quiver I would have ordered the 162 as well. I am sure you'll retire your 170 Madd once you get this new baby.

Congrads again on your win. Next time I see you you owe me a beer;)

Mellow,

I think you may be set on the 162 (and there are a lot of good recommendations here for one), but for what it's worth:

I recommend the 180. For my 5'11, 170 lbs frame, it is the perfect free carving board -- it does everything. Mine is essentially all I ride (I ride my 182 NSR a bit too, but I have sold off all of my other boards b/c I just ride my 180).

Note that I see your comment about "your" quiver. As I noted, however, the 180 is a quiver killer for me, so those boards would be collecting dust. And in case you doubt my commitment to the 180, I'm buying another one pretty much as I type. My current one has Hangl, then next one will have Apex.

Happy shopping.

I know people here like their huge boards, but at 62kgs I have the 156 Kessler and it's a rocketship. Of course the more edge you've got the faster you can go, but I just spent a few days at a fairly respectable resort where snowboards were once banned, and the Kessler wasn't overtaken once by anyone. Plus I can ride the moguls and anything else the mountain has to offer. And I never have to ask "what resorts are good for carving": they're all good. I guess it depends what you want to do, but smaller boards are fun too, and they're great for more challenging terrain.