Note to New Members ×

What could BOL members call themselves?

dano

OK, you know how members of TGR refer to themselves as "maggots"?

It's already easy to spot another hardbooter, but it might be cool to have some kind of BOL tribal name, hand signal or buzzword to instantly acknowledge another BOL member in passing...on the hill, up on the lift or if you spot a square tail on a roof rack.

Maybe "tweaker" ( WW already uses this) or something...insults are always fun...or maybe some carving hand motion...maybe our hearing impaired members could suggest a sign?

YES, my work is painfully slow...can you tell?

While this might surprise a few,considering some of our opposing views,this site has been an oasis of mostly civil discussion and community minded support.To take a step in the direction of the hate and intimidation riddled atmosphere of so many other sites would be a significant regression.Growing 'thicker skin' is one thing,but thwarting newcomers from joining this community would be a detriment.Why do something negative to our growth as a community and an industry,however small it may be?

BTW, I call myself a Hardbooter,but respect anyone with the skills to link their trenches :-)

BTW, I call myself a Hardbooter,but respect anyone with the skills to link their trenches :-)

yeah. really, it's more about what you do than what you do it with. easy to become elitist & exclusionary w/ all the esoteric hardboot gear we ride, but being open minded to the variety of hardware on which good carving fun can be had is a good thing.

While this might surprise a few,considering some of our opposing views,this site has been an oasis of mostly civil discussion and community minded support.To take a step in the direction of the hate and intimidation riddled atmosphere of so many other sites would be a significant regression.Growing 'thicker skin' is one thing,but thwarting newcomers from joining this community would be a detriment.Why do something negative to our growth as a community and an industry,however small it may be?

And this is why I enjoy Bomber and hard booters. Its probably an age thing too.

yeah. really, it's more about what you do than what you do it with. easy to become elitist & exclusionary w/ all the esoteric hardboot gear we ride, but being open minded to the variety of hardware on which good carving fun can be had is a good thing.
precisely. this year i've seen a few folk where i've thought that with a longer-radius board, they'd be having a lot more fun and doing it faster. better in their softies than me on plates.

i've also had skiers chasing me down a run, pretty much following my line, and then saying in the tow queue that they'd never have considered using so much of the slope width.

maybe we don't need a name. being different is enough.

This site will never be allowed to be anything like TGR.

I think that what Dano was getting at was the idea that BOL'ers should have something to call each other (besides "BOL'ers"), not that we should beat up on newbies and demand pictures of wives/girlfriends/sisters.

Similarly, TGR has their "Got change for a nickel?" thing to determine if a stranger is on TGR without getting into a long discussion about "There's this forum called TGR and..." Given the cost of alpine gear, our equivalent would be "Got change for a Cleveland?" (Grover appeared on the now-defunct $1,000 bill).

I think that what Dano was getting at was the idea that BOL'ers should have something to call each other (besides "BOL'ers"), not that we should beat up on newbies and demand pictures of wives/girlfriends/sisters.

Similarly, TGR has their "Got change for a nickel?" thing to determine if a stranger is on TGR without getting into a long discussion about "There's this forum called TGR and..." Given the cost of alpine gear, our equivalent would be "Got change for a Cleveland?" (Grover appeared on the now-defunct $1,000 bill).

Oh! You mean like we meet at some resort somewhere and I see you're wearing HSPs and it's like:

Me: "Anvil the Jack-Hammer, Anvil the Jack-Hammer"

You: "The Horseshoe has Fallen"

Me: "So did you see that thread about secret code-words?"

You: Blank stare.

Oh! You mean like we meet at some resort somewhere and I see you're wearing HSPs and it's like:

Me: "Anvil the Jack-Hammer, Anvil the Jack-Hammer"

You: "The Horseshoe has Fallen"

Me: "So did you see that thread about secret code-words?"

You: Blank stare.

Yeah! Or I could skate up to the lift line and yell "Burton ruined snowboarding!", and if anyone responded "Sing it, brother!" then I would know they were on BOL.

Usually, I just ride up to people and say, "Oh cool, a monoski!" (Wouldn't work if you weren't wearing hardboots.)

Old Farts would seem to be applicable in most cases. (over 60 here)

FOGOBS is a term that I use for Fat Old Guys on Bikes, but it could be used for Boards also.

Actually most everyone that I've met on a carving board is aware of bomber, but people on lifts that ask, are not

Retro's or Old School is most used by lifties to describe what I'm riding.

Board (Ski) Trek 3rd Generation is about where we at. Just after ropes/foot straps/sorels, and then T-nut inserts, and then inserts with hardboots and plates.

Hi that's an ugly board works pretty well.