Note to New Members ×

Heard in the lift line - 2004/2005

Guest thomas_m

Last season at Hotham I got "At last, someone with style" from a liftie (he obviously only saw my gear, not my riding :freak3: )

And at SES last year I got all the questions from two cute single college girls saying how cool all the riders looked. So I sent them down to see Fin at the demo tent and one of them rode for an hour or so on plates. She seemed to do pretty well for a first time, but she wasn't at the pub at the end of the day. I did all the hard work for him but Fin just couldn't finish it off :(

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

As I was snapping into my Skwal at Targhee Saturday, a group of young (11-13ers?) snowboarders said "Cool", "Awesome", and my personal favorite, "You're my idol", etc., all without the benefit of even seeing me carve (which wasn't possible with zero visibility). Nice change from all the standard inane comments mentioned previously in this thread.

BTW - any Skwalleurs or other trench-diggers in the Boise area that could give me some pointers? I am "plateaued" at intermediate (on a good day).

Cheers,

Bob

Boise

Thias Skwal FreeCarve 180

we're waiting in line when this kid and his buddy pull up behind us and he procedes to tell his friend "ya, that's one of those one-ski's, you're supposed to use poles with them but he must not have his" I about fell over.....I've heard the term mono-ski so many times my son and I use it as a joke now when someone we don't particularly want to talk to asks us what we're riding.

Keep smiling, they'll eventually go away....

Paul

Two days ago I was in the lift line and I hear a guy behind us say, look at them they have ski boots. His buddy says oh yeah those are them mono skis where you ride with your feet together. I'm thinking WTF look at my bindings.

So the rest of the day me and the girl I was with joked about it and complimented each others 'mono ski'. :lol:

Guest Randy S.

I ran a race clinic on Saturday at Alpine. One of the guys in the clinic was doing both the ski and the board clinic so I carried his board up to the top of the course for him and he wore his skis. I got more than one comment about my super wide powder skis. One woman was actually serious "those are the widest skis I've ever seen."

One woman was actually serious "those are the widest skis I've ever seen."

That's good. There is a guy in Utah who has mounted up two Factory Primes as powder skis.... I just look at him and think "Don't you want to sink just a LITTLE when you're skiing powder?" If there's three feet of fresh, personally, I want to sink into it a little and enjoy it, not float on the top three inches of it.

Another guy I know also mounted up a couple of alpine boards as skis for a pond skimming contest. Unfortunately, he crashed before he made it to the pond. :(

got on the lift with ski partol on sunday...looks over and me and says "cant believe it out of all the chair lifts I get on with a hardbooter" turns out when he not partoling on ski he only rides hardboots. Also got a "look at that skiboard" and "look at that speed board". got a "what is that?" told them it was a snowboard. didnt believe me until I showed them it was all made by burton

Overheard this weekend when I was riding my Arbor freeride board with plates: "That's one of them skiboards."

Huh? Kind of crossing the line from ignorant to stupid, wouldn't you say? "Look, he's riding with skiboots," I could understand, but it's hard to see how anyone could look at an Arbor and think it was anything besides a snowboard.

On the other hand, I get a lot of positive comments lately, especially from lifties, things like "you guys rip" and "I'd like to try that." I only started hard booting in the 2000/01 season, but I feel like we're more visible (at least at Hood) now than we were then.

• 2 weeks later...

Hero snow Saturday morning at Bromley. I was there accompanying a Boy Scout troop. Fate in the Sun Lift line paired me with a young lady skier (mid 30's is definitely young when you are almost as old as PatMoore :D ).

I was floored when she immediately said "I was admiring your form earlier - I mean on the snowboard". I really don't think of myself as all that great a carver, and I was riding my K2 Recon and not my Axis, but I had been slicing some reasonably clean lines under the quad anyway.

I think I talked her into taking some snowboard lessons with her son.

At Sundance today, a *liftie* asked me what the hell was I riding. I didn't see another carver out there at all.

Yeah, I stay away from sundance as much as possible. It's only 10-15 minutes from my house, but I'm just not a fan of it. I just never did like the vibe I got there when they started allowing snowboarding back in 97. I'll stick to da Canyons.

cut some really deep clean lines (in the slush we have over here in the east coast) I was really way over. I stopped for a second to look for my cousin and some old timer skier ( I stopped next to ) just looked at me and really smiled big. .. didnt say a thing but you could tell he just thought it was way cool. Made my day.

Later my cousin said all he had to do was follow the trench and he knew what trails I was on to follow.