Note to New Members ×

Nice "Reverse C" Toeside Form

Jack M

Pretty, but there's no place to go if he need to drive it any deeper, because he's just about to knee-out with his back leg. Don't know whether SG does, but a lot of euros ride with their backfoot angle higher than frontfoot which can help a bit, but it makes a slarve a lot less secure (I've tried it but my hips just went NUTS by lunchtime - I do like equal angles when the board allows it though). More lift under the back foot I think creates similar issues. Not that there's any way other than a reverse C to get proper load on that edge, but the imbalance is still there.

I have read you very interesting The Toeside Problem and tryed to apply to my surfing.

I have found it very useful and less force is needed.

Lot of people in Italy told me that using that tecnique will put a lot of force on my hips and put me in a position that if I'll find something unexpected on the slope it could be very difficult to manage.

Nowadays top teachers in Italy(Rabanser and Pisoni ) say not to level any more the shoulder with the ground but with the board, and this would help to put the board on edge and so to have a better edge grip.

Rabanser(tried :o) teached me to project my body into the turn and after the board is on the edge start to flex my knees and ankles,

maintaining the legs flexed but not fully bent because if you find something on your course and you are fully bended you cannot bend any more like an end run suspension.

Just two different style?

Sorry for my english.

I've spoke with Sigi the last week and he told me that he use a pair of TD3 Sidewinder modified.

He uses for racing NW .950

At Jack no, it's my fault because I'm not that able to report what he is trying to teach me, but surely he doesn't promote to bend over at the waist and reaching down for the snow.

More or less here

I ride with my back binding 3 to 6 degrees greater than my front. It definately helps to drive my knees together on toeside turns. I am surprised to find that most racers/carvers I ride with don't also do this. A matter of fact only a few that I have ever ridden with do. I do agree that it does help the "knee-out" problem.

Sigi's setup looks like Sidewinder blocks directly mounted on the plate, with custom made shims. The double stack is actually reflection on the shiny plate...

Splay... IMO, more splay = more mobillity, less splay (or negative "pidgeon toe") = more locked feeling. I think Mark F. used to ride pidgeon in the days of carvy real GS courses?

Stance/hip/shoulder allignment (IMO) = mobillity, "countered" = more locked; you pick, choose and adjust for the requirements of the moment and desired outcome...

Another intersting fact, revealed by the pic, is the significant twist of the board.

I think B nailed it.

Arcing the body to maintain a balance between the center of mass, the direction of travel, the malleability of the snowpack, and the spring/rebound of the board, while keeping a neutral position to absorb undulations is the epitome of skill;

doesn't get much more aesthetic than that pic of Sigi.:biggthump