Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line 2011/12

slopestar

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like it. There are some drawbacks to the system but from a comfort/ease of use/performance...It is above par. I think there are refinements that can be made as with any product. The goggles are the best I have used. They are oversized compared to other manufacturers but not feeling closed in really helps the entire system. I think the mask would benefit from a washable absorbent material liner because just like a mouth/neck gator, it gets wet and freezes. It just doesn't do it in direct contact with your face. Also a tether for the mask when removed. Lastly, at that price, there should be headphones integrated. All in, I love it and would buy it again.

• 4 weeks later...

Today on a chair, me with my 180 SG, a young female skier says "I understand how you turn a snowboard twisting your feet, but how on earth do you turn that thing? It's a monoski right?"

I then lectured her on how without the thing strapped to my feet, she wouldn't have her carving skis...

The area I usually ride is quite small. As a result some of the lift operators are used to seeing me ride out there. At the end of one day this exchange takes place:

Liftie (Irv) to female friend: "That guy is the best alpine rider out here."

Me: "Irv, I'm the only alpine rider out here!"

Irv: "Oh no, there's TWO other guys!"

Today on a chair, me with my 180 SG, a young female skier says "I understand how you turn a snowboard twisting your feet, but how on earth do you turn that thing? It's a monoski right?"

I then lectured her on how without the thing strapped to my feet, she wouldn't have her carving skis...

This is, quite possibly, the post of the year. Can we get a separate sticky or thread going on this? Moderators? EmDee has captured a pivotal moment in snowboarding here. 'Twisting your feet'; the last time I twisted my feet I ended up married and having three kids. That amounts to over 30 years of my life. I've never twisted my feet whilst snowboarding.

Thanks EmDee!

Mark

A guy comes into the lodge before opening and asks my wife and I, "what are those things out by the tables"? We reply Alpine boards, why? "I've never seen anything like those before, are they snowboards? Granted this is a tour from San Diego for a week vacation at Snowbasin Utah , but "are they snowboads" caught me off guard.

Mick

Not really the lift line but here's how it went:

Me: carefully picking my way through nasty early season moguls and soft piles....

Group of kids with hoodies and 135cm boards sitting on the side of the trail: "WHOA! SPEEDBOARD!!!"

Me: quick and low toeside carve in between a few moguls (thankfully I didn't fall haha)

Me: :D

First time out this weekend at a local bump here in Edmonton. I was riding my 173cm Coiler Sctubby, with UPZ RTRs. Got a couple of comments this weekend.

Heard this exchange as I pulled into the liftline from some students talking to instructor after seeing me come down a run

Student – What’s he riding?

Instructor - That's a snowboard.

Student - What's it used for?

Instructor – That’s a racing board. For hitting banked turns and jumps.

Well at least they're getting closer. :biggthump

There was also a kid on the lift who yelled “WIPEOu…....:confused:” down at me as I made a toeside turn underneath the lift.

Dave

Not in the lift line but funny to me regardless:

Scenario: I'm sitting in my buddy's office at my local ski hill still dressed in my carving gear. We are exchanging thoughts when one of his coworkers walks in: "Chris, you have got to see the size of that alpine board that's parked in the rack downstairs".

Chris: "how big is it?"

Coworker: "who the hell rides something that big?" "Its huge!"

Chris: "I know of only one guy who rides big alpine boards up here and he is sitting in that chair right there" pointing at me.

Coworker: "you ride that thing?? How the heck do you turn it up here"

Me: "it turns very quickly, it has lots of sidecut and I am fat so I bend it well"

Coworker: "what's the length on that? 200cm?"

Me: "its only a 185

Coworker: "its gotta be bigger than that"

Me:"nope, 185"

That's all, brought a smile to my face

tourist : I've never seen a monoski like that before

me : that's because it's a skwal

tourist : oh, that's what they look like. never seen one before.

one ear-dragging descent later, the same guy caught up with me as I was drinking a coffee with my mate.

tourist : so... where can I get one? I want to ride like that

Coming to a stop before a steep pitch in super low viz and check behind me for straightliners, tailgaters. Teen in softboots following really closely.

Teen: "Hey what's that?"

Me: "What's what?"

Teen: "That" pointing down to new Coiler AMT

Me: "Oh, it's a snowboard...well it's an alpine board or some call it carving board"

Teen: No response.

Me: "It's just like your board but not...it's built for a different purpose for carving and really hooking turns. I use plate (I think for a second as I can sense the confusion)...different bindings and boots like these (I pull my pant cuff up to reveal TD3's and green UPZ's)."

Teen: "Oh, so you ski too?"

Me: "Yes I ski too....oh, not in these boots though"

Teen: "But those are ski boots..."

Me: "Erm, no they're snowboard boots, hardboots. See the heel and toe pieces?"

Teen: "Oh ya (pauses again as the gears are turning in his head)...cool, good luck!"

^great exchange. educate rather than condescend. we are ambasadors of the sport.

Yes, exactly my intention...spread the word:) We do represent a tiny segment of the market and I'd rather always leave people with a positive response. As far as I could tell he was really interested. Never know, maybe he'll come to the dark side eventually...or is it the bright side of snowboarding ;)