Note to New Members ×

Winter Tires

CarvingScooby

Winter Tires vs All Season Tires vs Summer Tires

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L2wTg0l3_wI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Winter Tires vs All Season Tires

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JGfvyPtYR0Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why NO winter tires for Summer.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/clSC7APitaQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why NO MIXED tires front & rear

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EdtAm7RsTmE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Think snow, be safe.

RT

While I agree that winter tires are best, I have to represent the tires I picked for my Expedition. I have driven on ice, up and down hills, and up and down mountain passes covered with hard packed snow and ice with them. Granted, I am far more skilled on driving on ice and snow than almost every non-transplant Texan but, if you are like me and have to drive from hell to a cold state, these tires can't be beat-Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors....

Plus, I pull a 5000 lb boat/trailer up slimy boat ramps with 'em, too....

Excellent demonstration. Around here most people think that if they have AWD with all season tires, they're fine. What they don't realize is that they can go OK - they just can't steer or stop any better than 2WD with all season tires.

I've always felt that near-new dedicated winter tires were the way to go. This proves it.

I just wish that winter states would mandate this for all cars. It doesn't do me any good to have good winter tires and be stuck in a line of traffic behind people with bad tires.

Just imagine how much insurance claims could be reduced if everyone ran dedicated winter tires in the winter. I don't get a break on insurance rates for running winter tires. Too many people on the roads with bad tires that can hit me because they can't control their car.

Excellent demonstration. Around here most people think that if they have AWD with all season tires, they're fine. What they don't realize is that they can go OK - they just can't steer or stop any better than 2WD with all season tires.

Actually, it's worse than that. AWD is not 4WD...AWD is two live transaxels with open differentials. I've seen AWD with all 4 wheels spinning. The manufacturers are counting you won't ever be in that type of conditions. I'm sure someone with AWD, thinking they are bulletproof, are actually worse off than a person with 2WD who understands the limitations of their control.

Not mentioned but surely pertinent-the test vehicles were BMWs. I'd like to see a fourth option-summer tires on a Chevy pickup truck with a 17 y/o driver!

Actually, it's worse than that. AWD is not 4WD...AWD is two live transaxels with open differentials. I've seen AWD with all 4 wheels spinning. The manufacturers are counting you won't ever be in that type of conditions. I'm sure someone with AWD, thinking they are bulletproof, are actually worse off than a person with 2WD who understands the limitations of their control.

Not mentioned but surely pertinent-the test vehicles were BMWs. I'd like to see a fourth option-summer tires on a Chevy pickup truck with a 17 y/o driver!

I drove in Mammoth this winter in my 99' 4matic wagon with michellin pilot 245/45/17 m+s tires this past winter. I forcibly tried to spin/slide/burnout in just about every condition from 8-16" of fresh on ice to hard pack ice and the car just would not step out of line. The tranny also has a winter/summer switch allowing in "winter mode" to never engage first gear so the car starts and stops in 2nd gear. I love this car...and plan to never have her see a set of chains up and personal...:biggthump

Studs FTW!

Studs "For the win" ???

WTF? Jim, please explain to an old guy?

"For The Win." An enthusiastic emphasis to the end of a comment, message, or post. Sometimes genuine, but often sarcastic. Originated from the game...

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ftw

http://www.wheels.ca/article/792277

Now manufacturers are making ‘all-weather’ tires

John Mahler SPECIAL TO THE STAR

Why were all-season tires so bad in snow and ice? Why were winter tread patterns so noisy on pavement? Why did winter tires degrade so quickly in summer driving? Was there a way to service people who really had no room for two sets of tires?

The huge dissatisfaction with all-season tires in winter has caused a few manufacturers to look at what could really be possible when it comes to compounding rubber.

Nokian, a Finish company that has been making tires since 1935, decided to put its many years of rallying and street driving experience to the task of developing an “All-Weather” tire. The result a few years ago was the Nokian WR — a snowflake rated tire that could be left on the car all summer long. Nokian had managed to find a rubber compound that liked hot and cold. I tried a set for one full winter and the better part of spring. They delivered the promised year-round traction.

This little club started to grow. Yokohama was next on board with their W.Drive tire. It was a high-end, premium-priced luxury tire. I tested it for three seasons and it was wonderful.

A Goodyear tire came across my sights, the TripleTred. It was only all-season rated but I liked what I saw and ran it for a time. Bingo, it scored as well as the other two in the winter. When I asked a Goodyear engineer why it had not been snowflake certified, he requested anonymity before telling me that Goodyear did not want to lose sales in the winter tire segment. However, Goodyear did decide to put one of its Fortera TripleTred SUV tires through the testing and it is now snowflake rated.

The list of all-weather tires is growing. Hankook, a major Korean tire company, is selling their Optimo 4S in Canada on a limited basis. Since supply is short, they are only selling this tire via OK tire stores. They are not sure they will have enough to fulfill the demand.

Like the majority of tires in this class, it is Transport Canada Mountain Snowflake rated. It promises lots of winter grip, but can be left on the car all summer long. This Optimo tested so well in Europe that the small Korean company is finding it hard to keep up with the demand. The Hankook is a premium tire.

In addition, one more all-weather tire has popped up for this winter season, the Vredestein Quatrac3.

Vredestein, best known for bicycle tires, have a long history of dabbling at the leading edge of car tires. So I would not rule them out until bad test results come forward. These tires will be distributed through Regional Tire Distributors (that is a company) to independent tire shops. No testing has yet been done, so by spring we should have a good handle on the quality level of this brand.

Joseph Park, assistant manager of Hankook Tires Canada, summed it up best when he said: “This is what all-season tires should have been all along.”

Will we see more tires move into this segment? I really do not know. Will this new tire segment — “All Weather tires” — become the next big thing or will it stay a niche market?

\Would the big players in tires rather see their share of winter tires grow, or will they embrace the newest technology out there? Time will tell.

All Weather Tires are still a compromise over a Winter Tire

All you have to do is drive in both and if you can't do that look and feel the tires. The Winter tire will be softer and have more grooves and sipes in them. Stopping distance and traction is better in a Winter Tire. I would recommend you drive in an all weather tire in Spring, Summer, and Fall and put on the Winter Tire in the Winter. Feel free to ignore me if your money is more important to you than your safety. The Snowflake standard isn't very hard to meet. You want a tire that goes above and beyond the standard.

Submitted by Sanves at 12:47 PM Friday, November 05 2010

RT

I try to convince others that if they keep a car for 80,000 miles, they're going to wear out 2 sets of tires anyway. Like having more than one pair of shoes. Whether you wear out one pair of shoes and then buy another or have 2 pairs of shoes and wear each pair when appropriate, you still end up buying 2 pairs.

If you put the snow tires on a separate set of wheels, you can change them out yourself pretty quickly. As winter comes on, I'll watch the weather and change them after work in the evening. Takes me about 45 minutes per car. That way, I get the best of both worlds.

So, the only remaining argument against is storage space. I'm sure this is a real concern for some people. However when I see all the usless stuff people keep in their garages, many would likely have room if they would just organize and discard useless stuff.

There may be a slight additional cost to have 2 sets of tires but I'll bet it is less than the deductible for one small accident.

Prior to our drive to CO in 2003, I decided to buy some chains for my Expedition. They are an "order only" item for TX Autozones. I ordered them, paid for them and then heard nothing from the store. So I went by...the store clerk, after handing me my box, whispered "You don't need those around here"....

:smashfrea

I used them within 1 month for the first time. I used them the second time this last March. If La Nina persists with it's hold over SW weather patterns, I may need 'em again next March!

SE TX is now 24 inches behind in our rainfall tally. We haven't had any change in the weather pattern. A hopeful storm last night brought only 0.04 of rain. According to a post I looked at on the Skidiva.com, the weather pattern that's going to favor La Nina over El Nino is projected to be in place for the next 20-30 years!

Can't believe that wintertires are giving a discussion in your countries with that much snow and low temps. You must have no brai....... when you drive without them. Here in the Netherlands last winter: all wintertires were almost sold out! Now shops are recommending to buy them early this season. I just bought a new set of four wintertires last month. By the way it's 24 degrees celsius over here. We have a nice aftersummer. Winter will wait for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
Can't believe that wintertires are giving a discussion in your countries with that much snow and low temps. You must have no brai....... when you drive without them.

No discussion here. I love my Continental ExtremeWinterContacts, and am looking forward to playing more in the ice and snow. :D Excellent performance and value for those who haven't heard of it.