Note to New Members ×

Winter Tires

CarvingScooby

Best bang for buck for snow/ice performance: General Arctic Altimax. I was very reluctant at first as I was set on a few others but then I read the reviews, bought all four corners and was blown away.

Made in Germany

Same tread design as:

Nokian Hakka 5

Nokian RSi

Gislaved Nordfrost 3

Wanli Challenger

Hankook W409 I'Pike

Pirelli Wintercarving

Did 3-4 hour commutes in all sorts of conditions the last few years with these and are very predictable. Great wear on them too. Not superb in deep snow however I've never been terrified or felt not in control in 6" of snow in my front wheel drive. This tire performs wonderfully in average everyday cold weather driving.

Can't believe that wintertires are giving a discussion in your countries with that much snow and low temps. You must have no brai....... when you drive without them....

Welcome to crazy Western weather :confused: and I agree it's pure ignorance. Lifestyle comes first before safety...:nono:

The crazy Western Weather Condition is also tempting for these kind of people to take the risk...:smashfrea

Here's why:

I just have to drive down hill in the snow for less than 10 minutes from where I live than suddenly it's sunny & dry road. Litterly will boiled inside winter jacket.

Or the other way round...

U can leave from sunny and dry (some still wear shorts) and in less than 45 minutes u get hit by heavy snow where winter tires and chain are requried...

Another example, heard the story first hand:

Drove AWD vehicle from Volvo XC90 to Accura RDX, nothing happend for 5 years - never wanted winter tires.

Than one day on sunny day in Feb, road was dry. Good thing they slow down to stop at 4 way stop. Speed was already below 20Km and it's about 5 minutes frm their place (so they know the area very well). Car slides & spun 360 and stop right in the middle of the intersection. Good thing all other 3 corners saw what's going on so they stay put...

RT

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/enVkYaJZ0Dg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>