Note to New Members ×

Level protective gloves

AgassizSkidder

Does anyone have any experience with the Level protective gloves. They have the wrist guards built in and look like a good idea.

http://www.xsportsprotective.com/level-fly-snowboard-gloves.html

I am starting to look at protective gear for next season and there is so much available that I am feeling a little lost. Body armour seems to range between $55 and $300. What works and what doesn't?

http://www.xsportsprotective.com/snowboard-upper-body-armor.html

I do. Levels are my favorites. They last long provided that you treat the palms with some additional rubber layers (Sika products do the job properly). The protector under the palm serves the purpose well. Go for their top product, I think it is now called Super Pipe.

As for body armor I belong to the group of people that say, thank you, but no, thank you. I feel that it limits my moves. Having said that I also have to say that it would be very stupid to advise someone not to wear protective gear, so go for it.

Kindest

Level gloves are great. There are a few models, try them on if you can as the shapes are a bit different.

I have the full jacket 661 armour, I think it's the MTB version. Can't even tell that it's on. If you wear your jacket a bit on the loose side it will fit underneath without causing restrictions.

Beware that some of them (I don't recall which model I bought in Aspen) have inserts of a waffle-textured fabric that would be really useful on snow tires - tough, abrasion resistant and grippy as hell. Not what you want to be touching the snow with. Pat the dog in these and the dog is likely to grab your arm and take off running, leaving you spinning down the piste with a very sore shoulder. The fingertips are a little numb and slippery.

Otherwise, they are nice gloves.

I've glued a patch of 2" nylon flat webbing onto the heel of the palm of my other (Swany) leather gloves with urethane caulking compound. That is even tougher and not very grippy at all, and I can fit a wrist brace inside the gloves. These gloves are better for dexterity, but I suspect that a little dab of polyurethane on the fingertips would help the Levels some.

I like biomex plus wrist guard that comes with level gloves because they have really small volume compared to other wrist guards. Saved my wrist once even. I've thrown my super pipe gloves away 2 years ago due to wear but I still use the wrist guard that came with it. Good gloves, but even with kevlar reinforcements they are not that durable for EC or rope tow.

Thanks for the great links! Those EC gloves are exactly what I've been

looking for!

These gloves need extra work to improve their function as gloves and extend their longetivity:

1) 3M Outdoor fabric spray (5-8 coats/layer) for weather resistan.

2) These gloves are as strong as its threads that hold them together. It's not KEVLAR threads. As ISTVAN suggestion:

Try Sika Tack Drive or Sikaflex 256, it will convert any gloves to pro EC gloves.

to apply on top those threads to protect them.

More work but it's still worth it.

Good luck,

RT

Thundercloudgloves won't hold ECing either. The stitchwork is the weak point of all snowboardgloves with ECing or whatever you do with your hands in the snow/ice at high speeds: everything will be destroyed sooner or later. Buy the cheapest gloves you can find, drop in a protector (of Level or else) and drop some rubberstuff on it like Sikaflex or something else. I hope some one will pop in and make some real ECgloves. May be this one but hardly gettable:

http://www.extremecarving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8664&highlight=

(gloves with a surface of polyurethane seems to do the job well).

I have used a new pair of levelgloves on the Saas Fee glacier two years ago. Were gone within 2 hours. Then I decided to put some Sikaflex on it: still have the gloves after using them for 15 days.

Level makes great gloves, they will fall apart just like any other glove of course, but slower than many and the wrist protection is/seems effective without being uncomfortable/restrictive.

I have a pair of trigger mits that are 8 years old, replaced the velcro on them the palm base still has most of the nubs on it. wish they made it in a mitt. it's the only glove that has made it through a year.

Thanks for all the responses. I did search this topic before posting but most responses seemed to be about the 661 brand. I'm curious what the difference is between say the POC at $299 and the 661 at $159. They all seem to do the same thing. I guess I better get my ass off the couch and go try some of these on. :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to dressing a bit more like Robocop though. Guaranteed chick magnet :biggthump

Benttech, no those materials are easy to handle, density is similar to toothpaste. Of course you can't dip the gloves into that glue if that's what you ment by coating, but in my opinion it is not the way to do it.

This is how I do it: I put one of the gloves on, put some glue on the palm and use a spatula (a piece of flat something will do) to distribute the glue evenly on the surface. Dependent on your skills you can get a very nice, smooth surface. It hardens within an hour. Lasts very long. The gloves I use are now like 3 seasons old (20+ days in a season) and I only had to do smaller fixes on them in certain points were they started to wear out (fingertips, etc). For the smaller fixes I use black neoprene glue, comes in small tubes, easier to handle than Sika products.

Sika can also be used on jackets / pants. Frame the surface you want to protect (forearms, knees, hips) with some tape, so that the edge of the treated surface will look nice. Make sure the piece you want to treat is laid out flat on a table or on the ground, apply the glue as explained above. The surface you'll get will look like it was alway part of the jacket / pants.

Make sure your jacket / pants have some matching colors, so no one will notice the small tuning :)

Later

• 4 months later...

Funny commment "Taking groomers with your PARENTS" 4:24

All in all not a bad video of the mechanics of a wrist injury. Hey, I resemble some of those xrays!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xyB0V8tcL2g?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anyone "THE EXPERT" wud mind share some pixs how it looks after the sika application...(thin/thick??) Need to prep my nxt gloves for this season, thanks alot...

Let it be snow...

RT:o

You'd better make more thinner applications so it will hold better/dry better.

I mixed the Sika up with nailremover first. It's a very sticky job anyway :barf:

To cover the stitches is the most important.

post-105-141842347202_thumb.jpg

post-105-141842347205_thumb.jpg

You'd better make more thinner applications so it will hold better/dry better.

I mixed the Sika up with nailremover first. It's a very sticky job anyway :barf:

To cover the stitches is the most important.

Hartelijk bedankt for the pixs. Yep, definetely will cover the stiches.

Next question (if u don't mind): How many layers did u apply with mixed SIKA...

RT