Note to New Members ×

Should a user have right to delete a thread?

BlueB

Shold a user have the right to delete a thread?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Shold a user have the right to delete a thread?

• Yes, it's his thread
    • No, only admins, to prevent the loss of good info

I understand that sometimes things get too heated up, or bad things are said. Administrators should have absolute right to delete the threads that are harmefull for Bomber, no questions on that. However, sometimes the starter of a thread deletes the entire thing and tons of usefull, or just plain funny, information gets lost. Latest example is the "Heard in the Lift Line 10-11". Or even worse, over the years, when few knowledgable, but somewhat aggressive members, left BOL, they deleted almost all of their threads. Tons and tons of valuable technical discussion was gone. Yes, the OP could be the creator, but other people contributed too, giving their time and knowledge to the communnitty... Seems wrong to me.

My personal opinion is that only administrators should have power to delete entire thread. If you really needed something gone, ask them nicely and they'll do it, within reason.

There are other issues too, like post-ghosting and endless editting, that sometimes makes other people looking like talking to themselves, or even insane. But I think that's for another poll...

Post your thoughts.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the board can learn something from driving away people with valuable information..... Although, I guess we haven't, have we??????

Sad, but that's another issue.

What I'm trying to say, is that all the exchange of information belongs to the board and the people who contributed. Lot of other good opinions get lost when the OP deletes entire thread.

The liftline thread and many other post were deleted by my for reasons that I am not obliged or required to divulge. My threads/post canbe delete and edited as I wish. Sorry, but the rules are the rules.

Sure. But, communnitty and admins can change the rulles, if we agree to do so.

Sad, but that's another issue.

What I'm trying to say, is that all the exchange of information belongs to the board and the people who contributed. Lot of other good opinions get lost when the OP deletes entire thread.

I hear ya.... I agree.

Most other boards I am on it is permanent immediately with limited edit for about 5 hrs or so. To change (delete or change title) it you need to ask a mod.

was there some new drama, or did Snowman just decide to pull a thread?

I have pulled threads in the past when they got too douched up by politics and other garbage. I think it's any thread starter's right to pull the plug on their thread.

He pulled this one for no reason really:

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31563

A user can delete their own thread they start. If they take advantage of it that privilage can be removed.

Seems the rules have already been changed, which one of the all powerfull mods have decided that the rules are now different than they were. Pretty frickin hosed isn't it? Ah, the power of the keyboard. Just rewrite the rules as the man behind the curtain sees fit, such bull****.

Think Snow!

... My personal opinion is that only administrators should have power to delete entire thread. If you really needed something gone, ask them nicely and they'll do it, within reason.

There are other issues too, like post-ghosting and endless editting, that sometimes makes other people looking like talking to themselves, or even insane. But I think that's for another poll...

Post your thoughts.

My personal view is that it's impolite to materially change a post in a thread, or even delete it. Deleting an entire thread is way beyond that

A thread shows posts and response, and if you deliberately "change history", you're breaking trust with the other posters in the thread.

I'd have it set so you can't change your post more than a few minutes after you post it, or once someone responds do it. Many times I come across threads here when someone clearly been mucking around with a thread. If it's the mods then ok, but I suspect it's not. If that meant that people think a little harder before posting, then perhaps that's no bad thing.

I assume that the deletion which probably prompted this thread was an accident. Which is another reason to prevent those of us who aren't modding from being able to do that.

Here's the rule :-

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_vb_edit_posts

"To edit or delete your posts, click the edit.gif button by the post you want to edit. If your post was the first in the thread, then deleting the post may result in the removal of the entire thread."

<MY_OPINION_FOR_FUTURE_CONSIDERATION_BY_FORUM_OWNERS>

My opinion :-

When enough posts make it onto a thread, it would seem to have some community value, and probably shouldn't be able to be deleted...of course this is easier to say than fix.

</MY_OPINION_FOR_FUTURE_CONSIDERATION_BY_FORUM_OWNERS>

Seems the rules have already been changed, which one of the all powerfull mods have decided that the rules are now different than they were. Pretty frickin hosed isn't it? Ah, the power of the keyboard. Just rewrite the rules as the man behind the curtain sees fit, such bull****.

Think Snow!

Not really. You are assuming you have some kind of set of "rights" here. You don't. You aren't owed any type of conditions. This isn't a public forum, it is owned and operated by a private company.

If you don't like it, leave.

Not really. You are assuming you have some kind of set of "rights" here. You don't. You aren't owed any type of conditions. This isn't a public forum, it is owned and operated by a private company.

If you don't like it, leave.

Hey John, I think that I will take you up on that. Oh, and by the way, **** off. There, that should be good for a life time banning.

Think Snow!