Note to New Members ×

Comment on past Snowman’s Thread and Censorship

fin

What's any of this have to do with censorship on BOL and snowman's graphics:confused:

Everything. Your attempts to belittle our tangent are aimed at preventing the continuance of my freedom of expression. Hence you are attempting to censor my opinions on an off-topic forum.

Other than that i believe a conversation of black americans has a lot to do with the original graphic, considering some are assuming a confederate flag can only be a racist expression.

You know the Nazi's had pieces of flair, that they made the Jews wear.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8Pou4WbRwjowaMcUECSiXt1j_q40y4yCmItflEYjYDZmeUoo5&t=1

Nice catch Tex...I figured the thread had served it's purpose, glad to see you were paying attention.

Except when in my free time on a Saturday(caused by freezing rain) I took the opportunity to inspect the details of Godwin's law and found the following... Also note that a Nazi reference in jest does not justify the invocation of Godwin's law.

wikipedia...

The law and its corollaries would not apply to discussions covering genocide, propaganda, eugenics (racial superiority) or other mainstays of Nazi Germany, nor, more debatably, to discussion of other totalitarian regimes, since a Nazi comparison in those circumstances may be appropriate.

However, Godwin's law itself can be abused, as a distraction, diversion or even censorship.

Since only smart people use wiki for reference.

• 2 weeks later...

you'd figure after the new Millennium , organizations like the KKK might fade away.

Sadly this is not the case.

I went to Fayettesville, West Virginia for a slalom skateboard race in 2003.

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1277&sid=6d6aa34e8a933572be8a7ee09c11861d

I had a great time..some other BOl'ers were in attendance.. Vlad Popov and I faced off during the races... good 'ol USA (me) vs Russia (Vlad)...

It was like the 1950's down there... but the food was worse. Great place to watch the stars as it has the least light pollution of any US state (that might tell you something though).

Later I invited Martin Drayton to stay with me for a few days at our condo in Wellesley, Ma

We both talked about the race..and the place... certainly all the townspeople seemed nice..very accommodating.

Then Martin told me something about when he went to the race a year before me... it was the first slalom skateboard race held in the rain (my first clue that there was something really wrong about the place) . As we talked about that race.. (and I think Martin did get a good race result) I asked him why he never went back the following year when I was there.

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6399&sid=f3c57b0976b7e2ea934ccd7d1ccc0dd1

Not that this has anything to do with the graphic.. but just a reality check that certainly took me by surprise.

I understand the KKK, under our constitution, has a right to assemble, but I no longer see myself going back to that town...ever..

I look at organizations like the KKK as human pathogens blighting the towns they assemble in.

The Graphic... if it were the confederate flag alone... has connotations to some people. In conjunction with the "General Lee's" race car number I think the Vast majority of Americans do see it as a TV sitcom reference- and IIRC I did not see any negative black stereotypes depicted in the few (about 8) episodes I watched until I grew tired of Catherine Bach and the consummate stupidity of the entire cast and the writing.

On an even odder but true note... one of my business partners in Madd Snowboards, Michael Cappelletti, married Stephanie Johnson,

I "picked up" Stephanie and literally dropped her in Michael's lap at a Wellesley College party- where she attended. They now have two children. Stephanie was a Korean girl adopted by an American father from Minnesota (she was very Americanized and was named “Queen of Corn”), at the Corn Festival in Minnesota, though later worked as a Waitress at Guyhama Sushi bar in Boston- after Michael showed to the management that her resume had been tossed aside because of her American last name (reverse discrimination).

Stephanie confided to us that as a child she had a "Massive crush on Boss Hogg" who she found to be the ultimate turn on. So Snowman, this gorgeous Korean Beauty likely would appreciate your General Lee graphic seeing only past unfulfilled fantasies of a movie date with Boss Hogg. (a pig of a man on The Dukes of Hazzard)

In regards to confederate associations of the show, it could be noted that there were some- though embedded references... the General Lee (General of the Confederacy) is one that is certainly obvious... but Boss Hogg's name was J.D. Hogg with the J.D. standing for Jefferson Davis the President of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War. Oddly it was Boss Hogg fighting the Dukes in so many episodes... (at first I thought that reference was clandestine).

So it might seem that the show was neutral in regards to it's depiction of whether they approved or disapproved of the confederacy on the surface... as "The General Lee" (member Protagonist group- somewhat anthropomorphized) often fought "Jeferson Davis Hogg" (member antagonist group)

However, as the series progressed.. and they started to run out things to write about, just prior to "jumping the shark"- clarification was added to the writers intent when Jefferson Davis Hogg's twin Brother was introduced, “Abraham Lincoln Hogg” (who was the spiritual opposite of Boss Hogg- dressed in black only, and was looked down upon by the Hogg clan for his morals (all good) which were not in line with the rest of the Hogg's.

Since the writers created a good personae based upon the Commander in Chief of the Union Army- Abraham Lincoln I would not consider the Dukes of Hazzard as promoting the ideals of the Confederacy or slavery.

I could be horribly wrong ..as I only watched about 8 episodes- stunned every time at how viewers could be suckered into thinking that the car could survive those jumps, and that only Thelma and Louise would try to top the distance/height record in a later movie..which was also a showcase for Brad Pitts abs and hence a chick flick despite it’s disturbing overtones.

If offended people of this graphic paid close attention to their American sitcoms and the writers casting of characters they likely would not associate the General Lee with Slavery, but instead only with the results of 5th grade educations on characters of a small fictional American town.

But likely, they weren’t watching for the General Lee because after 3 seasons Knight Rider came out with a far more capable car of similar low income origins. They were watching for Daisy Dukes derrière. Their ratings went unaffected.

Knight Rider’s ratings substantially improved when David Hassellhoff (Michael Knight) had Rebecca Holden (a knockout red head mechanic who never got her hands dirty) enter the show.

The moral. Michelle is right, as usual, men were think about Daisy Duke’s cutoffs when they see the General Lee, not so much the Jumping car going off a dirt kicker that any snowboard park sculptor would find poorly constructed…

I understand how some see the confederate flag as offensive, but I don’t find anything to support that The General Lee symbolizes anything more than a jumping car (actually 256 of them) and fleeting glimpses of a well shaped butt and toned legs in blue jean cutoffs that was an annoying hairspray overblown tease.

If however, I wanted to dispel this symbolic association with the General Lee graphic, I merely would have to say that Catherine Bach is now 56 years old. (this was years earlier!)

Catherine-Bach.jpg

Apparently Catherine Bach’s husband Peter Lopez, a "buttman", knew FIRSTHAND of the steady demise of her butt as he courted and then married her in 1990, five years after the The Dukes of Hazzard stopped filming.

20 years later Peter Lopez awoke up to her trying to stuff her butt into a vintage pair of cutoffs from the show and after realizing how his wife's buttocks had no further visible means of support...

- he shot himself in the head.

I hope this all makes the controversy perfectly clear. (and yes the snow sucked to the nth degree today...chatter with man made dust atop.. --->even worse than Hunter Mountain on the East Coast which is why I would waste my time writing drivel like this.....icy at Mt. high)...your snow was probably just as bad if you spent the time to read this.

even worse than Hunter Mountain on the East Coast

I enjoyed your analysis quite a bit. I couldn't recall much about the show myself but was wondering a lot about they way the protagonist/antagonist sitaution played out in terms of defining the makeup of good/bad guys.

In other news: although I avoid it like the plague I've had pretty good luck with snow whenever I've gone snowboarding at Hunter, oddly enough.

you'd figure after the new Millennium , organizations like the KKK might fade away.

Sadly this is not the case.

I went to Fayettesville, West Virginia for a slalom skateboard race in 2003.

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1277&sid=6d6aa34e8a933572be8a7ee09c11861d

I had a great time..some other BOl'ers were in attendance.. Vlad Popov and I faced off during the races... good 'ol USA (me) vs Russia (Vlad)...

It was like the 1950's down there... but the food was worse. Great place to watch the stars as it has the least light pollution of any US state (that might tell you something though).

Later I invited Martin Drayton to stay with me for a few days at our condo in Wellesley, Ma

We both talked about the race..and the place... certainly all the townspeople seemed nice..very accommodating.

Then Martin told me something about when he went to the race a year before me... it was the first slalom skateboard race held in the rain (my first clue that there was something really wrong about the place) . As we talked about that race.. (and I think Martin did get a good race result) I asked him why he never went back the following year when I was there.

http://www.slalomskateboarder.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6399&sid=f3c57b0976b7e2ea934ccd7d1ccc0dd1

Not that this has anything to do with the graphic.. but just a reality check that certainly took me by surprise.

I understand the KKK, under our constitution, has a right to assemble, but I no longer see myself going back to that town...ever..

I look at organizations like the KKK as human pathogens blighting the towns they assemble in.

The Graphic... if it were the confederate flag alone... has connotations to some people. In conjunction with the "General Lee's" race car number I think the Vast majority of Americans do see it as a TV sitcom reference- and IIRC I did not see any negative black stereotypes depicted in the few (about 8) episodes I watched until I grew tired of Catherine Bach and the consummate stupidity of the entire cast and the writing.

On an even odder but true note... one of my business partners in Madd Snowboards, Michael Cappelletti, married Stephanie Johnson,

I "picked up" Stephanie and literally dropped her in Michael's lap at a Wellesley College party- where she attended. They now have two children. Stephanie was a Korean girl adopted by an American father from Minnesota (she was very Americanized and was named “Queen of Corn”), at the Corn Festival in Minnesota, though later worked as a Waitress at Guyhama Sushi bar in Boston- after Michael showed to the management that her resume had been tossed aside because of her American last name (reverse discrimination).

Stephanie confided to us that as a child she had a "Massive crush on Boss Hogg" who she found to be the ultimate turn on. So Snowman, this gorgeous Korean Beauty likely would appreciate your General Lee graphic seeing only past unfulfilled fantasies of a movie date with Boss Hogg. (a pig of a man on The Dukes of Hazzard)

In regards to confederate associations of the show, it could be noted that there were some- though embedded references... the General Lee (General of the Confederacy) is one that is certainly obvious... but Boss Hogg's name was J.D. Hogg with the J.D. standing for Jefferson Davis the President of the Confederate States of America during the Civil War. Oddly it was Boss Hogg fighting the Dukes in so many episodes... (at first I thought that reference was clandestine).

So it might seem that the show was neutral in regards to it's depiction of whether they approved or disapproved of the confederacy on the surface... as "The General Lee" (member Protagonist group- somewhat anthropomorphized) often fought "Jeferson Davis Hogg" (member antagonist group)

However, as the series progressed.. and they started to run out things to write about, just prior to "jumping the shark"- clarification was added to the writers intent when Jefferson Davis Hogg's twin Brother was introduced, “Abraham Lincoln Hogg” (who was the spiritual opposite of Boss Hogg- dressed in black only, and was looked down upon by the Hogg clan for his morals (all good) which were not in line with the rest of the Hogg's.

Since the writers created a good personae based upon the Commander in Chief of the Union Army- Abraham Lincoln I would not consider the Dukes of Hazzard as promoting the ideals of the Confederacy or slavery.

I could be horribly wrong ..as I only watched about 8 episodes- stunned every time at how viewers could be suckered into thinking that the car could survive those jumps, and that only Thelma and Louise would try to top the distance/height record in a later movie..which was also a showcase for Brad Pitts abs and hence a chick flick despite it’s disturbing overtones.

If offended people of this graphic paid close attention to their American sitcoms and the writers casting of characters they likely would not associate the General Lee with Slavery, but instead only with the results of 5th grade educations on characters of a small fictional American town.

But likely, they weren’t watching for the General Lee because after 3 seasons Knight Rider came out with a far more capable car of similar low income origins. They were watching for Daisy Dukes derrière. Their ratings went unaffected.

Knight Rider’s ratings substantially improved when David Hassellhoff (Michael Knight) had Rebecca Holden (a knockout red head mechanic who never got her hands dirty) enter the show.

The moral. Michelle is right, as usual, men were think about Daisy Duke’s cutoffs when they see the General Lee, not so much the Jumping car going off a dirt kicker that any snowboard park sculptor would find poorly constructed…

I understand how some see the confederate flag as offensive, but I don’t find anything to support that The General Lee symbolizes anything more than a jumping car (actually 256 of them) and fleeting glimpses of a well shaped butt and toned legs in blue jean cutoffs that was an annoying hairspray overblown tease.

If however, I wanted to dispel this symbolic association with the General Lee graphic, I merely would have to say that Catherine Bach is now 56 years old. (this was years earlier!)

Catherine-Bach.jpg

Apparently Catherine Bach’s husband Peter Lopez, a "buttman", knew FIRSTHAND of the steady demise of her butt as he courted and then married her in 1990, five years after the The Dukes of Hazzard stopped filming.

20 years later Peter Lopez awoke up to her trying to stuff her butt into a vintage pair of cutoffs from the show and after realizing how his wife's buttocks had no further visible means of support...

- he shot himself in the head.

I hope this all makes the controversy perfectly clear. (and yes the snow sucked to the nth degree today...chatter with man made dust atop.. --->even worse than Hunter Mountain on the East Coast which is why I would waste my time writing drivel like this.....icy at Mt. high)...your snow was probably just as bad if you spent the time to read this.

Best reply to a thread, ever.