Note to New Members ×

New Member, Old Rider, Looking for Board Advice

bgarfield

I'm looking for a particular type of board, but because I've been out of the loop, I don't know what's been made or being made.

I've been riding since '86, instructed and raced in the early 90's, and then was not "in the know" between '97-'07. What I mean by this is that I had the same '96 board, rode a few times a year at most, and didn't know anything about the latest boards.

I've always loved to lay down the "chest hair carve", but I also enjoy and am proficient at freestyle/jumps.

Since I've gotten back into it seriously again (my kids are now good riders), I bought a new Sims Protocol 157 to get some newer technology. However, although a fine freestyle board, I miss actual low carving.

That all said, I'm looking for the best board possible to accomplish great carves but yet still want to ride Switch, Fakie, backwards... whatever the younger set is calling it. Essentially, I'd love a board that almost as stiff as a race board, but has a rounded nose and tail? It can't be worthless in powder, but I won't see it on a regular basis.

Thanks,

Brian

sounds like your looking for the holy grail of snowboards my friend! ha j/k I'm sure someone will chime in, these guys know their stuff. welcome back!

my .02 cents, get a dedicated carving board. since you already have a new freestyle board.

EDIT: on second thought, maybe a prior 4wd?

The signs seem to be leading me toward a BX board, but I wanted to get the opinions of many. Plus, it's not that easy to find those boards either.

Admittedly, I'd like to not get spend crazy as I just bought a board last year and bought my wife's first since '94 (her wedding gift from me :1luvu:) just two days ago.

@kinpa - good to hear from you!

The Prior 4WD did show up in my searches, so you simply commenting on it makes me want to go back and check.

Brian

Donek Incline is great at carving in softies. Can do about everything else too. Wouldn't be that great in the park but would work. Otherwise a freeride board could work. I used an Arbor A-frame a few years ago. Carves decent and I was doing 50-50s on handrails with it. A twin tip with soft flex would do much better in the park though. Most freeride or carving boards are directional and stiff. They will launch well but you better land straight.

Admittedly, I'd like to not get spend crazy...

Steepwater. Carves as good as it gets for a non-metal freeride board, managable in park, rides pow great, very stable at speed with 11.5m scr. New ones sometimes go on sale for $300.

Modern BX boards would carve even better, but would set you back few $ more.

I agree with the Donek Axxess recommendations. I have two, and I ride backward quite a bit. They have enough of a tail to them that I have no worries at all, on any terrain. I am seriously considering ordering my next one with two tails, rather than two noses.

If you like to ride fast, there's a variation of the 172 Axxess that has a 13m radius. That's mine, it's listed as 08Waddoups172AX on their specs page. It's narrower than the other Axxess boards, at 19cm, but it still has more float than most skiers get. And you can get whatever dimensions you want for an extra couple hundred bucks. Plus you get your name in their catalog. :)

http://www.donek.com/specs_hard.html

I'm a 9.5 boot, so not too big. Considering soft boots are lower and hang over easier, what wait line do you figure would best work?

I normally ride at about 15 front, 5 rear on a freestyle board. I'm thinking I don't want to go too extreme since I'll be doing plenty of jumps, so probably 25 front, 15 rear at most.

I've got my eye on some options that are popping up:

Burton BX 165

Palmer Carbon Crown 164

Proto 162

F2 Eliminator WC Edition 165 cm

Donek Incline

Donek Saber

Sims Daytona

Thoughts?

BTW Jack, digging that Coiler, my first race board was a Safari!

I'm a 9.5 boot, so not too big. Considering soft boots are lower and hang over easier, what wait line do you figure would best work?

I normally ride at about 15 front, 5 rear on a freestyle board. I'm thinking I don't want to go too extreme since I'll be doing plenty of jumps, so probably 25 front, 15 rear at most.

I've got my eye on some options that are popping up:

Burton BX 165

Palmer Carbon Crown 164

Proto 162

F2 Eliminator WC Edition 165 cm

Donek Incline

Donek Saber

Sims Daytona

Proto 162 will be way too narrow. It's a hardboot board. Burton BX, Fussion? Probably too narrow, too. Same goes to Incline.

Is Daytona produced again? Otherwise, it's an old board...

Proto 162 will be way too narrow. It's a hardboot board. Burton BX, Fussion? Probably too narrow, too. Same goes to Incline.

Is Daytona produced again? Otherwise, it's an old board...

Actually Sean can do a custom shape on the Incline for no additional money! I just got one with a 253 waist width and a continuously variable, 8-10 meter sidecut radius. Cost: $550. For what it's worth, I have a size 9 foot and ride 24 degrees front, 12 rear with no overhang. And it's a sweet board. A bit heavy but it rails like crazy. :1luvu:

bgarfield,

I think you might be interested in the board I just got. It is called a Status snowboard. Here is the website address. http://www.statussnow.com I come from a carving background and have recently switched back to soft riding to experience the best of carving and freeriding. This board is the nicest soft carving deck I have been on since switching back 6 years ago.

Good Luck

Everyone's posts have been very helpful, much appreciated, and educational.

As I explored more, I really like what I found with the Donek, and spoke to Sean on Friday. I'm big on the idea of speaking with the owner about my experience, and having that same person build my board for me, all with the added bonus of being custom in size and appearance with a very reasonable cost.

I'm not completely done with the specs yet, but here's what I'm likely to be doing:

Donek Incline

163-165 ish - I'd like something slightly larger than the average for my size.

25cm waist - Measured out my current board with the boots and bindings I'll be using and I definitely can't go smaller with the angles I want, around 27/21. I had posted less angle earlier, but that was before changing the binding around to see what I could live with.

Given the above, can anyone think of a spec that I could change but haven't thought of?

@Jason, thanks for the offer, but the angles I would need at that waist width is not in the range I'd like to duplicate, although we should get together to tear it up soon!

Thanks,

Brian