Note to New Members ×

What's Your Favorite Length.....?

Flywalker

if you could have only one board, what length?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. if you could have only one board, what length?

• 154 or less
    • 155-159
    • 160-164
    • 165-169
    • 170-174
    • 175-179
    • 180-184
    • 185-189
    • 190-199
    • 200+

I voted w/ the length of the board in my quiver that I would keep if I could only keep one...

... but honestly, length is an afterthought for me. I've been on so many long boards that "ride short" and short boards that "ride long". To the point where "rides short" and "rides long" aren't all that meaningful to me anymore.

Coiler Schtubby 171 vs Classic 177 or 179 w/ same sidecut? It's all in the flex and feel, not the length. (Yes, the effective edge length on those are closer than the overall length might indicate, different nose shapes...) but that just furthers the point.

People buying freestyle boards get hung up over a few cm, I laugh because I've had boards from (Madd) 158 (really more like a 155 if you measure) to (Coiler SG) 196 that have all been "the right length".

My previous softie board was a 171 and my current one is a 192 and the length difference didn't take any getting used to.

PRIOR WCRM-173 WIDE

COOL board, thanks to Blueb suggestion. This board replace my 4WD, carve as an race board, float on slush, chops. The lower angle setting on the bindings for my MP27 make possible to play on most POW condition. 173 is good length thru (crowded) "meat gates".

This board 90% will be carried.

post-6136-141842328234_thumb.jpg

With a 35m SCR it isn't easy to bent it :eplus2:

a 235cm chord of a 35m circle will have a segment height of 1.9cm ... so there's plenty of sidecut clearance built into this deck for decambering into. With 117.5 cm of board for leverage on either of that chord's center the board would have to be monumentally stiff to make it inflexible ... just sayin' ... that board should be pretty easy to decamber, actually.

a 235cm chord of a 35m circle will have a segment height of 1.9cm ... so there's plenty of sidecut clearance built into this deck for decambering into. With 117.5 cm of board for leverage on either of that chord's center the board would have to be monumentally stiff to make it inflexible ... just sayin' ... that board should be pretty easy to decamber, actually.

You can only "adjust" a board's turning radius so much. The sidecut radius is the baseline for that adjustment. 35m is a hella big number - more than double the average radius of my NSR 185 (which has a 2.23cm sidecut depth over the 169cm effective edge). I've squeezed my NSR down some pretty narrow trails, but I highly doubt you could squeeze this thing down any normal eastern US trail. You would need a massive and empty snowfield to enjoy it. Maybe he has that. In those EC videos it looks like a board like this could be used at Zinal, or some such similar wide open place. I'd like to see it!

You can only "adjust" a board's turning radius so much. The sidecut radius is the baseline for that adjustment. 35m is a hella big number - more than double the average radius of my NSR 185 (which has a 2.23cm sidecut depth over the 169cm effective edge). I've squeezed my NSR down some pretty narrow trails, but I highly doubt you could squeeze this thing down any normal eastern US trail. You would need a massive and empty snowfield to enjoy it. Maybe he has that. In those EC videos it looks like a board like this could be used at Zinal, or some such similar wide open place. I'd like to see it!

I wasn't saying it would turn super tight ... I was just saying it shouldn't be all that hard to decamber it. Certainly, this board is going to make bigger turns, and probably needs a bit more speed to get turning ... no disagreement there.

(70m circle, 35m radius)

Hey man ... I'm not saying it's not a challenging board to ride, I'm sure it's a handful. I'm just saying it shouldn't be all that hard to decamber it. Are you suggesting that this board makes turns with a 70m diameter because it has a 35m sidecut radius?

I picked a 165-169 length, because For me it's the best compromise for all types of terrain: steeps, moguls, ice, trees, powder, as well as carving the groomers.

It also tends to be the longest size of board that I can comfortably strap onto a pack when I go into the backcountry.

I'm really loving my Coiler 167 VSR as I ride it more and more. This is the demo board with the blunt nose and the black/grey checkerplate graphics that made the circuit to SES and ECES. It makes a huge variety of turn shapes quite comfortably - much larger than it's radius (average 10.5m) would seem to indicate.

I'm usually on narrow runs with lots of people and iffy grooming, but this board still holds it's own on open/wide runs. When I know the runs are going to be wide and have fewer people this 167 gets left on the rack for the bigger 182 Monster, but that's pretty rare for me at nearby resorts. When I get to go to the mountains I pick the 182 first.