Note to New Members ×

Whats the deepest pow you ever rode with your race board?

slopetool

I'll bet there have been times where you had no choice, all you had brought was the race board. And theres a foot of fresh. Or maybe more. Its happened to me a Bachelor. But damn, sometimes its got to be done. I would love to hear some stories. I was watching Hear No Evil today. Remember that video? yes, its sparked my interest. thanks

Guest Randy S.

I used to only have one board. A factory prime 178. I rode that all over the place. On powder days I'd move the bindings toward the tail and just ride it. It works fine.

The deepest pow day I rode though was on my Donek 184 Race. I moved the bindings back and it worked great. I remember dropping a cornice that was about a 10 foot drop. This was two seasons ago. Oh, I didn't make the drop very well. I got another 2 turns and then nosed over the front. It was still fun. I rode some decent powder last spring at Bachelor on my 210. That worked pretty well actually (it helped that it was wind blown and firm).

You can ride powder on a race board no problem. Especially west coast pow. Utah powder would be harder, but it would still work. I love having lots of boards to play with and fool around on, but if you have to, you can get by on one board.

"waist deep fluffy stuff at Stowe "

I love Vermont :)

When I ordered my Coiler 186 I figured I'd use it on the groomer days, and during fresh days I'd take out my old Salomon. Well I destroyed that Salomon, so the Coiler comes out on pow days now (at least till I can afford an Incline)

The Coiler 186 on heavy pow days at Tremblant/Vermont are great! I'd bet that longer GS sticks are way better for deep soft snow than freecarvers. (slaloms I'd assume would be really terrible)

In pow I dont ride as aggressive as normal, with slow transitions and no forward weight shift, and I actually have so much fun! It never feels like the nose is going to fold, and so much fluffy white gets fired out the side as you dig deep. It's also pretty cool to get bursts of pow fly all over you when you're in a really low carve. Once it gets tracked a bit, it's pretty bumpy, but with knees bent a lot I find that all that happens is your line gets tighter and looser as you bump through the pow, your legs don't get pounded at all. Of course, when the pow is really light, you don't have any floatation at all while straightlining, and your carves are completely subterranean with fluff flying everywhere!

As long as the snow's not really deep, light and dry, try it out!

I spent a fun day at Mike Wiegele's on a Slalom board (Nitro Scorpion 163 to be precise). It was the end of a long heli-session so I thought I'd try something different. Otherwise I've ridden a GS board in the same conditions many times.

The GS board is ok but the stiffness doesn't really help you in the turns or in the jumps. Balance is a challenge.

The Slalom board was of course pretty damned usless - balance was very hard, flats were a nightmare (not enough surface area), and it was probably the hardest workout I've had for a long time (and I do know how to ride heli-terrain).

Trust me: this is not a good idea.

For normal resort powder, which has a solid base, it's a different story, and race boards are much more useful. Given enough powder and / or the choice I'd still use a Fish there.

Originally posted by swt

Blizzard of 1993 :: East Coast

The day the state of emergency lifted:

39 inches on a 160 F2 Beamer World Cup at the local ski hill.

Next day:

39 inches, backcountry trees on a Burton Backhill.

Nice! How did the backhill work out? Did you have bindings?? I've often mused about taking my old Elite 150 out on a powder day to see how that big surfboard nose and notched tail worked.

Oh yeah - during the blizzard of 93 I was with the UNH rowing team in Virginia "training". We thought we'd have nice weather in VA. Nope - 6" of snow. We drove all that way just to do the same crap we'd been doing all winter. I was absolutely dying to be snowboarding then.

8 inches- the most powed ive ever ridden in wisconsin on my race board

8 inches- the most powder ive ridden in wisconsin

12 inches- the most powder ive ridden on my race board

both instances were on my burton Amp 160, a wide board with lots of float in the white stuff (not exactly a race board)

Guest Oldsnwbrdr

Hmm, I was hoping to hear some stories about powder riding on a carving board that's built to handle this stuff... a Donek Axis or a Coiler All-Mountain.

I'm going to buy either an Axis or a Freecarve next month and I was hoping this thread would help me make up my mind!!! ;)

Originally posted by Oldsnwbrdr

Hmm, I was hoping to hear some stories about powder riding on a carving board that's built to handle this stuff... a Donek Axis or a Coiler All-Mountain.

I'm going to buy either an Axis or a Freecarve next month and I was hoping this thread would help me make up my mind!!! ;)

Axis 172 - I've ridden it in 2+ feet of light powder exactly one morning. It was the first time I had ridden in hard boots off-piste. The only problems came up when it started to warm up and the snow started to consolidate, I wasn't used to turning through heavy tracked snow in hard boots at forward angles (somwhere in the 50's) and ate it quite a few times.

Since that time I've had numerous days in say 6 - 10" of heavier fresh snow and it's been a blast. Toeside turns in hard boots on soft snow took some getting used to.... I had an uerge to look downhill which was getting me crossed up.... but now I look forward to it.

Wow! those are some great responses. I knew it had to have happened to someone else. In the early nineties, my Hooger Booger 175 GS used to see lots of powder. its all I had at the time. I've shown up at Bachelor with all but my Option 165 freecarve and rode trees and glades all day. There was about a foot of fresh and it dumped all day. I have tested my MLY 183 in about 8 inches over near the Rainbow lift at Bachelor. man, that board is soft and loved it. Its so subtle when one rides powder with hard boots, then the sensation of the sidecut of an alpine/race board. its awesome! just don't let the nose dive.

Guest dragon fly jones

Man at Loveland several years ago riding a Highlander total white out, around 10-12 inches way set back and plowing through with buddies riding a Wild Duck Knifer and a couple of guys on Hot Logicals it was comedy but fun none the less.

The one bad thing I broke both of the Sims bindings on my board at the time - walked right out of them, had to get a ride down and get the Blast out, that was even more fun since it was so skinny at the waist. Wow what a day, thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Oh one post script - the highlander was core shotted to death by a friend and fellow rider a week later and with the same conditions - RIP.

Never felt bottom with my 6'3" frame so I do not know,

It was very deep -- I got caught in a wooded off mainstream lighted runs one night on New Years Eve - it was so friggen deep and soft I had to take my 173 Volkl RT off and actually swim down hill thru the trees using my board as a float. Glad this old guy has a good heart cuz it was beating so friggen fast and hard as I thought 'how in the hell am I going to get out of here.' My girlfriend was supposed to be waiting for me at the bottom but I was not there in the allotted time. I found out later she was quite upset and pyssed at me for not bringing our radios that night. It took quite a bit of time for me to get out of the deep stuff and wondered many times if this was going to be my burial site.

I did not let her or the lighted runs out of my sight the rest of the night.

When I lived in Mammoth in the early 90s, I used to ride off the top almost every day no matter what the conditions on my then nitro epic 164? - the last series of asyms before they switched totally to the scorpion (which I also rode off the top). MOstly mammoth doesn't get so deep, since by the time it opens often it was a bit wind packed, but among the trees on the backside, and around chair 9? I think it was, cuaght it thigh deep several times.

The heel side felt fine, but without changing my bindings, the toe side turn was a bit dodgy sometimes ;-) The key seemed to be to stay up to speed and not try to turn too sharp.

THe scorpion 155 wasn't too much better ;-) but in windpacked powder, both these boards ripped on the steep windpack.

If riding hardshells, my suggestion would be to get a much softer pair of boots and wide board; the set up for groomed might be a bit stiff for powder IMHO.

Kip

Guest AlpentalRider

I've done 8-12 inches of pow on my Burton Speed and it was pretty fun. But if there's a big pow day, i'm slappin on my Salamon Malamutes with either my Burton Johan 163 or my OSin 4807 178 and heading for the BC! Sorry, but I prefer softies over hardboots for pow, a much better feeling IMO.

Those Volant skis that McConkey designed and skis on - the Spatula - sure is the reverse theory that we have. If you haven't seen them they are fat, wider sidecut in the waist and have reverse camber. and have a piece of melting butter on the topsheet design. kind of cool. those skis are the opposite side of the scale compared to a race board in powder. another toy for someone to try out. Would we dare even try them and step outside the box?