Note to New Members ×

Skidder

1surfer

How do I get the skidder moniker removed from under my user name ?

I do use an all mountain board because I am an all mountain rider. Not to be crass, but I PROMISE that I can out carve at least 75% of the hard booters out there. Willing to prove it. Oh, thats right, I already did that. I used to live behind buttermilk. I would come out on Wednesdays when it was carving club day and make a point of riding my 163 Underground all mountain board and carving inside the "carvers" lines all day long .... In soft boots..... With all the specialized equipment, only a couple of those guys could carve deeper or tighter.

I think the result was all those boards the underground made for them.

I really dont like skidding turns. I feel guilty, like i'm copping out every time I skid a turn. And I'm talking about all types of terrain in all conditions.

Ever carve turns on a 50 degree slope ? Ever carve in bumps ? I love to.

So my point, to the powers that be, cant it just say "snowboarder" or something ?

No bad vibe, I do respect all disciplines ( except bro brah dufus dorks that like to run into people ) RESPECT......

I am many things, but one thing I am not, is a skidder.

I do use an all mountain board because I am an all mountain rider. Not to be crass, but I PROMISE that I can out carve at least 75% of the hard booters out there. Willing to prove it. Oh, thats right, I already did that. I used to live behind buttermilk. I would come out on Wednesdays when it was carving club day and make a point of riding my 163 Underground all mountain board and carving inside the "carvers" lines all day long .... In soft boots..... With all the specialized equipment, only a couple of those guys could carve deeper or tighter.

I really dont like skidding turns. I feel guilty, like i'm copping out every time I skid a turn. And I'm talking about all types of terrain in all conditions.

Ever carve turns on a 50 degree slope ? Ever carve in bumps ? I love to.

So my point, to the powers that be, cant it just say "snowboarder" or something ?

No bad vibe, I do respect all disciplines ( except bro brah dufus dorks that like to run into people ) RESPECT......

I am many things, but one thing I am not, is a skidder.

Oh boy. :rolleyes:

Do you know what a 50 degree slope is?

Cool ! Yah , I started to Tele in 86 just for the leather boots. I didn't care about the free heel or tele thing, I just wanted comfortable feet. I hurt my feet bumpi'n too much on alpine. I did start snowboarding in 86 / 87 but continued to tele in the back country and on bumps. I am a snowboarder at heart but do love to tele. I had to stop teleing because nobody makes leather boots anymore. Plastic boots just hurt my feet. Still have a couple of older hard boot / plate sets but I just cant bear plastic boots of any flavor. I will admit that I did like the Koflack Superpipe and oxygen but not sure those qualify as "hard". Spent my first 20 years in Hawaii and I guess I have Surfer feet. For me, snowboarding is snow surfing and carving on snow is very similar to what I like to do surfing. I get great performance with the Burton Driver X with custom orthotics and the Burton Co2 binders. ( and I can walk around town and drive my truck in my boots ) This year I am going to get both a " No Board " and Lib Tech snow skate. Those may be harder to carve......although I will try.....

I had to stop teleing because nobody makes leather boots anymore. Bullschite, if you want it, you can get it. Plastic boots just hurt my feet. One word, bootfitter. Still have a couple of older hard boot / plate sets but I just cant bear plastic boots of any flavor. My condolences .

I'll trade you your two sets of hard boots & plates for my well softened(broken in) Merrel super comps and some 3 pins.

4011546473_c9cf0d5f84_b.jpg

oh wait there's plastic on those boots, that'll hurt

I have had several of those Merrel Supercomps. I like them. I have a pair with the white plastic in my shed. I bust them out once in a while. They are nice. When they get that old, the plastic gets brittle and cracks when it gets too cold. I heard Scarpa is coming out with an all leather boot. May be at the ski show this year. I also heard it was going to retail for over a grand. I still sort of tele on my split board in the driver x boot. That is more of a rondane style turn. Still fun. It is like kiting or bicycles, we have so much great equipment to choose from that you can find what you like even if that is not the right setup for other people. Comfort is very important to me. I am willing to give up a bit of performance for a bit of comfort.

Answering your own posts gets you there but it's cheap.

I am willing to give up a bit of performance for a bit of comfort.

Each, own to.

At resorts I'll sit in the bar in the evenings and occasionally I'll notice that most people have taken their boots off. The thought would never occur to me: I just use boots which fit. It saves money, and well fitting boots perform better too.

1surfer, welcome to BomberOnline. This is a website and forum dedicated to alpine snowboarding and the pursuit of the ultimate carve. Most people here are in agreement that the ultimate carve is best practiced with hardboots. We welcome softboot carvers here, but just know that disrespecting hardboots in our house is a quick ticket out of here. I hope you enjoy your stay with us and will contribute to the positive vibe here. Thanks.

I do not think that I disrespected hard boots or anything of the like. Please show me where I may have done that. In fact I said this "No bad vibe, I do respect all disciplines ( except bro brah dufus dorks that like to run into people ) RESPECT...... "

They ( hardboots ) are obviously the best way to go for carving and alpine style riding.

All I said was that my feet don't like them. Not that they are bad, just that my feet don't like any kind of plastic boots. Its not the boots, it's my feet !

I have re read my posts and confirmed that I never said, nor insinuated anything negative about alpine riders, hard boots or the carving community. I did state that I respect all, just not the bro brah dufus dorks who run into people. If I offended the latter, I don't care.

I think variety and the ability to choose is the best thing.

If I did say or insinuate any negativity directed towards any type of equipment or member of the carving community or individual, would you please point it out to me so I can understand what you are referring to so I don't do it again.

I don think anything negative about any part of alpine riding, alpine riders or alpine equipment. I don't think it is a crime that my feet have problems .

The forum is "carving community" not hard boot community. I carve.

I am a snowboarder and snowboarding is a brotherhood. I stand up for my brothers and I will defend and support them even if we do not share the same political views or equipment choices.

Although I do really, really hate the dufus dork bro brahs who run into people. They are not good for our sport.

I did not know that the moniker was based on amount of posts. I thought someone was just ripping on me. Im over it.

No worries.

I'm sure that I will go down to Fin's this winter and get set up with some hard boots and give it a whirl....again.....

I like to re visit my issues to see if I was right with my decision.

I have seen the raised plate system in person and actually touched it. I do think it is spot on and very BadAss !

Not to be crass, but I PROMISE that I can out carve at least 75% of the hard booters out there. Willing to prove it. Oh, thats right, I already did that. I used to live behind buttermilk. I would come out on Wednesdays when it was carving club day and make a point of riding my 163 Underground all mountain board and carving inside the "carvers" lines all day long .... In soft boots..... With all the specialized equipment, only a couple of those guys could carve deeper or tighter.

You don't think this is just a little antagonistic posted on a hardboot forum? Just a little?

You don't think this is just a little antagonistic posted on a hardboot forum? Just a little?

Ya, there may be a little back peddling going on.

I understand where 1surfer is coming from though. Back when I was young and stupid I honestly believed I could carve harder (on softboots) than 99% hard booters. I eventually learned the truth, and joined the dark side. I haven't been on softboots in 10+ years. :)

Yes, I do agree with you.

I will stand by the fact that it is true.

Equipment does not make the rider.

I will refrain, I must have had a bug up my you know what for some other reason.

I strongly believe that to be a true master of any sport that one must have put in at least 10,000 hours of practice in that particular sport. Less than 20% of all snowboarders on the planet have put that sort of time in, prolly not even that many.

I am not saying that I am any sort of master, just that I have created a situation that allows me practice the sports that I love for at least 300 days per year for the last 25 years or so. I wish that upon everyone !