Note to New Members ×

apex web site

Ernie00

looks sweet.

is it not possible to produce a more budget version using the 4 hole pattern?

As long as the system is only fixed at one point, why can't it use a bumper type system similar to the bindings and the thing slides at the back?

Also don't get why it needs to have length out the ends beyond the bindings and mounting points....you can engineer that flex in with the overhangs.

looks sweet.

is it not possible to produce a more budget version using the 4 hole pattern?

As long as the system is only fixed at one point, why can't it use a bumper type system similar to the bindings and the thing slides at the back?

Also don't get why it needs to have length out the ends beyond the bindings and mounting points....you can engineer that flex in with the overhangs.

There are numerous posts on this topic. Bomber is producing a 4 hole version as am I. Shred Grumer even has some mysterious production going with someone on a 4 hole plate. Bomber has not released any pricing yet.

The price tag may be steep but R and D as well as skilled people in the manufacturing sector doesn't come cheap.

Don't hold your breath for it to be made cheap offshore by some displaced chinese farmer chained to a workstation.

As for Sean, Fin and whoever else getting into the game, more power to them. Hopefully Apex can be competitive with the price they set.

I think that we are only scratching the surface of what is available. Some of the Japanese and Korean riders were on many different plates of their own construction. Don't know about U.S. availability but there will be some offerings from Asia.

Think Snow.

I think that we are only scratching the surface of what is available. Some of the Japanese and Korean riders were on many different plates of their own construction. Don't know about U.S. availability but there will be some offerings from Asia.

Think Snow.

Its true the Japanese have an alpine market as well as an industry that could be taped. Chinese manufacturing in general deal in large orders and this product could be the posterchild for the niche industry that North America is geared for.

People have to understand though that manufacturing here is more expensive across the board and nobody works for free.

Thanks Chris for the encouragement. Yes, I started talking to Gerry Kavanaugh at Apex Composites after the Olympics about helping him take their race plate to market. One thing led to another and I ended up acquiring the world wide distribution rights to Apex's snowboard and paddle sports products. If you're not aware, Apex is very big in the dragon boat racing scene.

Out of respect for the fact that this is Fin's site and he and I have competitive products, I'm going to avoid discussing our products on BOL. That being said, I think there is room for the two of us in this town. We are focused on the racing market and the Apex race plate is designed with only one thing in mind - getting around a set of gates as quickly as possible.

I'm having fun so far with this gig. There aren't many businesses where you hang with Mark Fawcett or Bruce Varsava and then get to write off the cost of the beers. One day, I hope to make money at this. All of you buying two or three plates for your quiver would really help that cause.

See you on the snow this winter. I'll always have a demo board with me so you can check out the Apex system in person. In the meantime, if you have any questions or want to talk plates, you can find my contact info at:

www.apexsport.ca

www.apexsnowboard.com

or check us out on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/apexsnowboard

And if anyone's driving through Burlington, drop by the shop. I'll buy you a beer. I can expense it!

Thanks Chris for the encouragement. Yes, I started talking to Gerry Kavanaugh at Apex Composites after the Olympics about helping him take their race plate to market. One thing led to another and I ended up acquiring the world wide distribution rights to Apex's snowboard and paddle sports products. If you're not aware, Apex is very big in the dragon boat racing scene.

Out of respect for the fact that this is Fin's site and he and I have competitive products, I'm going to avoid discussing our products on BOL. That being said, I think there is room for the two of us in this town. We are focused on the racing market and the Apex race plate is designed with only one thing in mind - getting around a set of gates as quickly as possible.

I'm having fun so far with this gig. There aren't many businesses where you hang with Mark Fawcett or Bruce Varsava and then get to write off the cost of the beers. One day, I hope to make money at this. All of you buying two or three plates for your quiver would really help that cause.

See you on the snow this winter. I'll always have a demo board with me so you can check out the Apex system in person. In the meantime, if you have any questions or want to talk plates, you can find my contact info at:

www.apexsport.ca

www.apexsnowboard.com

or check us out on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/apexsnowboard

And if anyone's driving through Burlington, drop by the shop. I'll buy you a beer. I can expense it!

I'm not FIn, but I've worked with him for many years. This forum is about promoting the sport, not one specific manufacturer. I'm sure you're aware of the vendor forum, which gives us manufacturers the opportunity to peddle our stuff. There are a couple of rules for vendors on the other forums, but posting has always been encouraged. Post away. Everyone is curious about your product.

The site looks good, but I think I'll wait for the Greenback!

Has there been any word on pricing yet?

I'm sure the Bomber plate will turn out great - same with the Donek plate and the (Coiler??) plate Shred is working on.

Nonetheless, to my knowledge only one will have have a lot of R&D money put into them, had a season of use by a national racing team, and garnered an Olympic Gold.

So... you know. If you want the best, you'll pay for it I guess. ;)

greg

I am staying out of the plate business as I have more board work than I can handle already. The Shred plates have some of my older stock topsheets on them but no logos allowed as you may have noticed. They simply needed to test with some finishing processes and I had the materials.I was fortunate enough to get an Apex plate late last season, successfully raced on that and will most likely continue in that direction.

I am staying out of the plate business as I have more board work than I can handle already. The Shred plates have some of my older stock topsheets on them but no logos allowed as you may have noticed. They simply needed to test with some finishing processes and I had the materials.I was fortunate enough to get an Apex plate late last season, successfully raced on that and will most likely continue in that direction.

Ahhh thanks for the update Bruce. Clearly you're not strong enough to forego some golfing to get in on this new craze.... :p

As for the pricing, I mean for the "Greenback"/Bomber plate (as per my quote).

Again, $1100 is steep, but so is $1500+ for a new Kessler etc. This is cutting edge, not in that Virus using-crazy-materials-just-because way, but in a you-can-win-a-gold-medal-on-this way. I suspect it'll be much like your experience with top-end boards: for most people like us a Coiler or Donek or whatever will still be too good for you, but if it's your life you'll probably be stepping up to the big boys. ;)

(Also, for the record: Greenback is a terrible name. I just went to that naming thread, and boy, you people have suggested some awful, awful names! :p)

Well, two things I like about the BOL Greenback: it was made to raise the standard with no preface of allegiance to one group over another. I also like that (as far as I can tell) the Greenback was developed to raise the quality of the performance and at the same time with accessibility in mind. There was no allegiance to any National Team and no high-tech secrecy other than the RD to make the concept a reality.

I could be wrong, but it seems BOL enjoyed motivation to experiment, improve and develop this model only because Apex had no intention to provide the model for market other than rumor of 'highest bidder National team.' Again, that's the impression some of us took from the Feb. interviews and public domain comment following the Apexplate introduction to the Games.

*Now before any 'fans' bristle and bark, the circumstances how the Apexplate may have been funded, developed or introduced are secondary to the unfortunate environment Alpineracing now faces: the Apex reality is that ONE team was given advantageous equipment. It happened and it will probably happen again in our lifetime, where resource will provide the good fortune of advantage at the highest levels of Sport.

But what is also noteworthy is that this particular accessory model was perfected (not created) by a NON-INDUSTRY company (there is another thread in that last comment for another time). We concede the countless incarnations of plate/binding/board modification we all have sought in some form or other, simply because the Industry to this point had been preoccupied with sales to promote brand rather than the very niche demographic of performance-seeker. That is precisely why many of us have turned to Tinkler, Varsava et. als. with the aim of modifying something no board manufacturer was willing to do in the first place. If I'd a Euro for every time I'd heard "but racer's don't sell boards, so..." from a US company or "rep," I'd have enough saved already to drop on Apexplates for "my entire quiver of Kesslers that I don't own without a second-guess."

Further, in the case of the secret Apexplate, money was no object. Top engineers with nearly unlimited resource and Disclosure Agreement were obliged to the task. It's clear performance and desig--to benefit the highest-level ability level were the paramount concern rather than "selling snowboard brands" to the lowest denominator-demographic.

Moving on; Kessler is no Burton, and for this reason alone I am obliged to support the Kessler product over the Burton and other Industry darlings. The Industry in US has led the overall sport awry, to the point kids (in the US & all over the world) will gloss over glossy magazines with splash Ads sandwich articles on fatstance and hiphop lifestyle more or less. That the labels sell product have less to do with athleticism than funky clones unable to cut a turn on ice (regardless of equipment) to save their life.

Few would argue the extent Burton and Sims each had the potential to Kessler status, but chose to appeal to jibtastic masses, lifestyle and everyman rather than progressing the Alpine (racing) aspect. Innovation is always the key, yea?...but who will determine the proper direction and proper source of motivation toward any given pursuit?

If the future of the sport is 25in stance for railsliding or hucking and pant waists below ass around the thigh/knees, then the value is certainly not progression in the sense of athleticism. SlovenlyPeter is cute but not when he is too worried for peers than his ability to his sport. The Industry's sense of value clearly creates its own monster with a steady diet of fad and funky slacker fashion above all else.

Not that hardbooters themselves are guilty to effect a 'look,' (no comment here) but MY eye is always turned to the drive to progress at the behest of the flock, whether that flock is projecting 'cool' or 'cost.'

If I seem like a mean and sour bastard, it is because don't use sugar when I have something to say. Left to the non-athletic masses, the Industry has done little apart of show me how to ruin a sport.

The point isn't that RD money effects premium quality in every case. This season, ALL racers with at least a bit of money to spend will have reasonable access to a wide variety of plate accessory or other. Some of these efforts will cost lots of green, and some will cost less. 'Caveat emptor' suggests we spend our money wisely, but in any case the out of pocket will determine how much a particular plate may be attractive to a particular budget.

Some constructions will truly raise the bar, others will certainly leave the faint odor of 5HIT the moment the board hits the snow. We saw this phenomena in binders, waxes, boards, inserts, doodad and widgets past--In the freemarket, 'progression' invites all efforts to the party, with little discrimination where quality is concerned.

Any sport should be about the best in equal field of talent and resource. True, vision AND lots of RD money was necessary in order to bring the Apexplate to fruition (certainly all FIS parameters were scrutinized throughout the earliest processes). But the highest bidder tone I felt early on, is what really put me off for the Apexplate. Time, finances, or lack of standard I require may ultimately change my mind where I spend my money, but I have a bottom line and that is my only concern.

As far as the Greenback name, do not forget how absurd XEROX seemed at first. I would the names hinting of US-made...that are distinct, distinguishable (from all the other plates we will see), something that lends some US nostalgia but does not offend for a change...

*Now before any 'fans' bristle and bark, the circumstances how the Apexplate may have been funded, developed or introduced are secondary to the unfortunate environment Alpineracing now faces: the Apex reality is that ONE team was given advantageous equipment. It happened and it will probably happen again in our lifetime, where resource will provide the good fortune of advantage at the highest levels of Sport.

I'm having a hard time following you here. Are you saying this is a bad thing, or a good thing? I'm getting the sense that you're imply it's bad, but I just thought about it and I can't think of another object-based sport where more resources doesn't mean an advantage at the highest level of sport.

Isn't it a good thing? Someone finally threw some money into a sport that has been very, very hard up for money for a long time. And turns out they come up with what seems to be a revolutionary product - given that everyone now seems to be copying it. Not sure what you're trying to say here.

But what is also noteworthy is that this particular accessory model was perfected (not created) by a NON-INDUSTRY company (there is another thread in that last comment for another time).

Again: because of money, no? Someone finally got enough resources to sit back and stick a few engineers/etc. on the problem - and not an overworked one trying to make a snowboard with his other hand at the same time so he can feed his kids.

(No offense meant Sean - just trying to point out that Apex had a luxury few in this industry can afford. ;) )

If I seem like a mean and sour bastard, it is because don't use sugar when I have something to say. Left to the non-athletic masses, the Industry has done little apart of show me how to ruin a sport.

Sorry dude, but you're coming across as mean and sour. :p

I'm not sure why you're hating on the "non-athletic masses" - because 90% of them aren't going to be riding an alpine snowboard anyway. It's hard. That's why we'll always be a fringe sport IMO - it's not that it's not fun, but it's hard. Joe and Mary Blow who make it out to their local hill six Saturdays a year will take, literally, years to make a half-decent run down the hill on an alpine board. Why would they ever do that when they can get on some soft, wide easy-riding POS and make the most of their limited time on the snow?

As for the other 25-inch-stancers railsliding or hucking that you hated on - do you really think they're not "progressing the sport"? They're not progressing your sport. They're progressing their sport. And it's a damn, damn hard one, with IMO a much higher element of danger than alpine. Those guys are pure athletes - why would you hate on them just because they'd rather sit in a park rather than ride like we do?

As far as the Greenback name, do not forget how absurd XEROX seemed at first. I would the names hinting of US-made...that are distinct, distinguishable (from all the other plates we will see), something that lends some US nostalgia but does not offend for a change...

To each their own. I happen to think it's a terrible name. It's not just that it doesn't describe the product, and doesn't have anything to do with what the product does or provides: it's that it already describes something that is completely unrelated to an alpine plate, and can't logically be associated with it.

That is how your example of XEROX is easily differentiated. It's a combination of Greek words that roughly mean what the product did. And, it was a completely new, distinctive and unique name for a revolutionary product the company was pushing.

In fact in my humble opinion, calling Bomber's plate the "greenback" would be roughly equivalent to that pre-XEROX company (whatever it was named) painting their new photocopying machine green and calling it the "greenback." It makes about the same amount of sense.

As for the "showing it's US-made" argument: I don't see it at all. You can just as easily stick a "Proudly made in [Flag]" graphic on one end and get the same result. This is a small, tightly-knit community: everyone to the last person already knows who Bomber is, what they produce, and where they make it - if buying American-made is of utmost importance to someone buying an plate system, they've only got what, two options anyway? :D It's not like Grandpa is going to be in Target looking over a bunch of alpine plates for his grandkid and choosing Bomber's because it's named "Greenback"....

(Pretty sure I just crushed Fin and Michelle's hopes? They were trying to sign a distribution deal with Target as I typed)

Anyway, don't want to derail this thread about Apex. I think it'll be tough for them to compete at their price point, but no doubt they're primarily aiming for the professional racer market anyway, and anything else is gravy. I think they're at that dangerous spot where the product is expensive enough to make everyone else think they can make it for cheaper... so the upcoming race season will be a pivotal one for them - because you know everyone will try their own copy!

greg

What?:freak3:

110 thinks that the Apex plate is beat because it was developed with CDN money to the benefit of the CDN team.

He likes the Greenback because it's the result of a completely capitalist effort (whutt?) of bomber and doesn't reward one team over another.

110 thinks Burton and Sims sold out so he/she thinks Kessler is ok and he doesn't like park rats???? Who does? I just hope they stay in the park.

Shortcut doesn't like Greenback name and has studied Greek etymology (who hasn't?):rolleyes: But is thrilled to see some cutting edge technology coming into alpine. He also appreciates parkrats, long walks on the beach and hard carving.:cool:

Target and grandparents get involved by their lack of alpine skills.

I think.

Huh? Still a little foggy. Progression of this sport and its equipment comes from all who dare to experiment and think outside the box. Apex did a great job and came up with a design that won the Olympics. Their basic design will be much copied and counterfitted for many years to come. I hope they do well. I waxed snowboards couple days ago, just saying.

Think Snow!