Note to New Members ×

big board addiction

mike g.

Is this just me, or is it an addiction. I'm looking to buy another board. But I don't know what size. i'm thinking any where from 177 to 200. It's going to be an all mountain board, very little powder. A hole lot of crud, and groom. I ride a 184 race now and love the speed, and the edge hold.

Just sitting at the come computer. having thoughts. In my mind a 177 is to small.

sorry guys and gals, just had to let it out.

mike

________

Mercedes-Benz R-Class

Virus Executor.

I think Bola might have one ready to go!

(board in the video!)

203cm with a 15.3 waist.

Like 2" of camber!

Available with traditonal Virus pointed nose or a hammerhead stubby nose.

So much edge, so stable.

You can really make the thing turn too.

A little video of the board in action.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=295472&postcount=163

There are some pics somewhere...

Snowman and Ursle took some I think.

same here. but i'm 6'6". my trusty 173 k2 eldo looks tiny, under me.

skidding into place for a lift queue on a big long board does seem to scare the crap out of some people. it shouldn't be amusing, but it is.

Skidding into PLACE in a lift line shouldn't be scary, but I tell ya, it gets them every time when you skid into the lift line itself! ;)

Is this just me, or is it an addiction. I'm looking to buy another board. But I don't know what size. i'm thinking any where from 177 to 200. It's going to be an all mountain board, very little powder. A hole lot of crud, and groom. I ride a 184 race now and love the speed, and the edge hold.

Just sitting at the come computer. having thoughts. In my mind a 177 is to small.

sorry guys and gals, just had to let it out.

mike

Get a 160ish slalom board, and be ready for a serving of humble pie!

Seriously, BOL has a big board fetish that is conducive to a very lazy, albeit rocketship fast riding style. It should be a requirement to have a bi-seasonal short board refresher day.

[/summer complaint]

Theo

Is this just me, or is it an addiction.

In my mind a 177 is to small.

It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it:rolleyes:

What's that they say about compensating:o

Who am I kidding, go big or go home.

The 1st metal edged board I bought was a 170 (big boards were hard to find in '89), 2nd was 186 but I've only felt a need for anything bigger in wide open powder bowls. My 185 carbon race goes as fast as my cajones are comfortable with on piste. Gotta have some acreage to let the 190-200+s run or it limits the fun.

I ride tight trees a lot, mid 70s is small enough to throw around and still fun back to the lift. At 6' 190# anything less than a stiff 165 feels like a kids toy.

I'm a short board guy. But my home mountains are pretty small. I am completely addicted to quick airborn turns.

If I had more real estate to play on I would definitely go bigger, but I will always include a short board to ride even on the biggest of mountains.

I do enjoy the sensation of being mid turn on a big board and having the time to look around, make a phone call or two, read Moby Dick etc.

I'm curious about that long board thread, I've always ride with what is considered a small board (162-164).

Is a board long compared to your height/weight ?

If you ride a 185 (6'0) and you're 6'2 , is that still a long board ?

I'm 5'6 and a 164 is 5'4, am I riding a long board ?

I ride on small hills, I don't know how I would do with a long board.

At ECES, all long demo boards were for riders heavier than me so I did not have the chance to try one.

To me, the rough definition of a long alpine board is whether the board you're riding on is taller than the top of your head.

I'm 5' 9" and weigh 145lbs- my long boards start at 180cm. Of course, nose profile, waist width, camber and relative stiffness all paly a part in determining the ride of a board, but length is length.

Geo

I ride mostly two - a 180 Racecarve and a 160 Oxygen SL. The Coiler turns so tight (and the Oxy is so stable) that really there's a lot of duplication. I'd love to add something around 190-200 with a variable sidecut for those days when no-one else is around. Totally impractical if there's any kind of crowd on the hill - the really big sticks just cover too much ground too fast, at angles which skiers just can't predict.

No money to spare to do it right, so on the cold and empty days I go back to skis a lot - Head RD iGS with big VIST plates - and pretend they're as much fun as a board would be.

Since I started the thread:

I ride to boards 163 and a 184 race. My 163 we changed the edge to a 1,2,. It rides like a subaru sti. But when I get going sometimes i stuff the nose, because I don't think it can take the turn at certain speeds.

What I meant about big boards: is a size you can't find at your local shop. so anything 170 up, would be a big board.

That they look cool standing up in the corner of the house, or on the rack on the mountain.

So seeing the 163 compared to the 184 side by side, Knowing that I can ride it, puts a smile on my face.:biggthump So that's why I'm addicted, I don't know if I want to bring a 170 in. Because it's a little smaller than the 184, or get something close to the 184, so I can have 2 big boards up against the wall.

________

extreme vaporizer

Sorry forgot to add.

The smaller boards fit in the car a little better. When I go on road trips, My friend won't let me take the big board, because it won' fit in the car. He can't keep up, but he can't keep up with me on the little board.

I know find another friend.:eplus2:

________

Yamaha CP300

It's not how big it is, it's what you do with it:rolleyes:

What's that they say about compensating:o

What is it with you boys and your toys???? I don't get it! Anyway, I'm 5'2" and my "big" board is a 156.... usually I'm riding my Oxygen 149. AND I :1luvu: my little cross under turns on easy terrain! Everyone is telling me I need a longer board.... maybe someday when I win the lottery! HA!

If you're saying this dismissively, you've yet to find your inner child!

try a kessler 163, that board is magic. it's not so good in slop but on hard snow it's special. need to ride a sigi to compare. lets put it this way, it will make those mini turns like a older sl but when you let it run it's more stable than most boards in the 170's