Note to New Members ×

Virus Powerlock II Bindings

*Ace*

Virus Powerlock II Bindings just hit their website.

Look like a lot like the older model. (Phiokka Macho)

Not really sure what the improvements are.

powerlock-2-bindung-intec,475,xl.jpg

Virus also released their version of an absorbing plate.

This plate is supposed to be used under the bindings on full carbon or titanal boards.

Also supposed to keep your muscles from fatiguing, dampens out microvibrations....

virus-daempfungsplatten,474,xl.jpg

Thoughts?

:lurk:

Here is a clearer picture from the new Powerlock II taken by me at the last CM2010. You can see the small rubber bumpers in the soleblocks for taking away vibrations. Also the carbon/rubber dampers between the board and the binding.

post-105-141842316647_thumb.jpg

Those don't look like any F2 bindings that I know or have.
the intec heel module is straight off this years series, and the baseplate is mostly the race one though with a different adapter, and without the decoration.

not sure where they got the toe bail design from.

the intec heel module is straight off this years series, and the baseplate is mostly the race one though with a different adapter, and without the decoration.

not sure where they got the toe bail design from.

I have this year's Race Titanium and the base plate, the center disk, and the method of adjusting for the sole length is definitely not the same as the F2. The intec heel piece might be F2 as well as the lift/cant wedges, but the toe block and standard bail heel block are not F2. My vote is not F2.

I have this year's Race Titanium and the base plate, the center disk, and the method of adjusting for the sole length is definitely not the same as the F2. The intec heel piece might be F2 as well as the lift/cant wedges, but the toe block and standard bail heel block are not F2. My vote is not F2.
it'd be helpful to see a toe-on view. the front bail looks kinda td2-ish.

edit. hans' pictures hadn't shown up earlier. interesting baseplate / adjustments. i think i prefer the screw-based F2 toeblock, easier for getting a really snug connection.

CONS

I am not a fan of plastic, especially since there is no additional hardware for the toe and heel block screws to screw into.

Not a huge fan of the F2 cant/lift blocks either. (more plastic)

The absorbing pads have a funny shape to them as well.

It seems that if your binding angle is lower than 80* part of the binding is going to overhang the pad.

I am also guessing that the pads can't be cut or trimmed easily like the Catek lexan plates.

PROS

Jury is still out on this...

I am going to be sticking with my Bombers for now.

Ball Bindings are still in the works!

389 euros, my thoughts are .... why?

my thoughts exactly.

on second thought if you wanted a suspension system the virus suspension system/dampening plates appear to be fairly cheap. the cost of the cheap virus suspension plus the cost of the relatively expensive virus bindings appear reasonable compared to cheaper priced f2 bindings with the expensive s-flex. assuming it's not an apples to oranges comparison.

my thoughts exactly.

on second thought if you wanted a suspension system the virus suspension system/dampening plates appear to be fairly cheap. the cost of the cheap virus suspension plus the cost of the relatively expensive virus bindings appear reasonable compared to cheaper priced f2 bindings with the expensive s-flex. assuming it's not an apples to oranges comparison.

I see NO suspension system, I see a pad(for board protection) and some cheapo plastic plates. the S-flex is a complicated rubber and metal thing that works to an extent maybe not as well as hangls do but there is a very distinct effect they lend. pretty much they are the ultimate palmer plate where as hangls and the newer systems do something different.

that pad does as much as the rubber gaskets under your burton plates or the ones attached to the bottom of many softboot bindings which is something but it's not what a s-flex does.

I might be missing something here but I highly doubt it.

most of these board damage issues I'm betting could be solved, with a topsheet.

my stubby has one as do the new priors, SGs, coilers and doneks.

if you've ever seen how race skis are mounted and have a fairly low failure rate most modern bindings should be fine on a snowboard! it looks like the american companies have their act together for durability............

and they are coming along in the shape department too.

Just for remember, the Phiokka Macho came from my design, after Phiokka produced our Powerlock one binding. The new one is a new design with some options we missed at the old one. Easy to adjust, lightweight and nukeproof!

Yes we use the F2 parts like wedges and Intec heel reciever because its the best and spareparts are availlable allmost over the whole world!

So no trouble and painful searching for broken parts!

We have a high grade steel 6 mm bail in front and rear and one size fits all boot sizes.

The plate and center disk is made from 7000 series alloy polished and the anodized!

It´s produced by a German producer mostly working for the automotive industry.

The included dampening plate is made to soak up the muscle paining micro vibrations and is availlable in three different sizes to match the boards width.

Yes, Virus does the new Worldcup custom series for F2 and lots of new serial shapes coming up in the future.

Just for remember, the Phiokka Macho came from my design, after Phiokka produced our Powerlock one binding. The new one is a new design with some options we missed at the old one. Easy to adjust, lightweight and nukeproof!

Yes we use the F2 parts like wedges and Intec heel reciever because its the best and spareparts are availlable allmost over the whole world!

We have a high grade steel 6 mm bail in front and rear and one size fits all boot sizes.

The plate and center disk is made from 7000 series alloy polished and the anodized!

It´s produced by a German producer mostly working for the automotive industry.

The included dampening plate is made to soak up the muscle paining micro vibrations and is availlable in three different sizes to match the boards width.

Yes, Virus does the new Worldcup custom series for F2 and lots of new serial shapes coming up in the future.

are their new stock shapes based on yours?

thanks for the clarification on what the the pads do.

Had the new Virus binding in my hands at the Carving Masters. Can't remember any plastic parts. I agree, the price tag shows a lot of self-confidence. And personally I'm not a friend of the Intec system.

But on the other hand this is exactly what I expected from a new design:

few parts, easy mounting, a bit of lateral flex and really heavy duty materials. Frank told me lots of things about the curved design of the base. Seems like a lot of brainpower has gone into this.

The reason why I didn't buy a TD3 or Catek so far is, I don't like the complicated design. I fear that, the more parts there are, the more parts can break. From this point of view, the powerlock II seems to be exactly what I've been looking for.

AFAIK, 7000 aluminum is more or less the same as Titanal. And the binding looks really bulletproof. Frank put it this way: you'll never have to buy a binding again because this one will last forever.

From that point of view the price looks more reasonable, but nevertheless it's quite high.

The suspension plate seems to be mostly about board protection and is reasonably priced IMO.

agreed that the binding price is high regardless of longevity. and I'm not a fan of a fllexible binding either. but any board you may buy from frank is worth every penny. people may disagree but the truth is custom boards cost alot to build. here in N. america we've got a few more companies that are competing with each other, so thier boards are closer in price. one cannot be blamed for gawking at the price of any virus, but the truth is they are a fantastic ride

Agreed, the best board I have ever ridden, hands down.

Custom is the only way to go!

Virus Chimera FTW!

I prefer a really solid binding too, no flex at all.

Thats why I run the TD3 Skwal bindings.

Its as stiff as you can get.

As to the rounded edges, maybe it is better.

Maybe I'll chamfer/radius the edges of my TD3 Skwal discs to be safe.

Any idea what sizes the dampening pads come in?

Are they narrow enough to fit my 12cm waist Virus Chimera?

Concerning the prices

Prices for Bindings in Europe

TD3 350 Euros

Catec OS2 300 - 330 Euros

Powerlock 390 Euros

F2 Titanium about 150 Euros if ther is a sale, regular price around 200+/-

I think if you want to walk away from the "standard binding" you have to pay these prices in Europe.

For the European market the price of the Powerlock is still competitive. The Powerlock is the higher priced product, but, as Frank mentioned, you get spare parts everywhere.

I my selfe use the F2 Titanium. I never had a problem with the binding (and I am not light weight), not even with the plastic parts (base for front bail, I belive similar one used for Powerlock I). For me it fits my needs and I just did not want to spent more money, yet.

But mybe it is like with the boards. Once you have tried them, you are infected. :)

Frank put it this way: you'll never have to buy a binding again because this one will last forever.

:smashfrea confused...If they last forever, why the need for spare parts?

:smashfrea confused...If they last forever, why the need for spare parts?

right, the weak point of f2s are the bales and levers anyway from what I have seen..... given, they are the weak point of every binding I can think of. I've broken them on many bindings but only broken the bases of a couple types if bindings.