Note to New Members ×

ohh ****!

bobdea

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a board I'd like to buy!

Shaggy is actually the brain behind this project. He donated a board for dissection and also let me have a go on one of his originals. I still am a metal guy and will surely prefer the metal version once its sorted out. However I have not had such an urge to bed down with a board for long time:o

Muchas Gracias amigo!

BV

Good god. Shaggy, if so, you made one of the greatest sacrifices to alpine snowboarding in history. :eek:

well, I'm not sure if it was shaggy but I do remember someone up there with a original that had a thin base and almost no edge left. might of been curt or one of the other southern vt Madd men though.

I can only assume it MUST of been a worn out or broken board.

I don't think the dissected board was an original. I never even really took it all apart. Just peeled the top off not even to the wood.

I had his original but just for riding purposes and also to test my patience by spending a day trying to find the right length screws for my bindings.

Pricing TBD. Probably higher if it actually works well:lol:

BV

I can't say I know much about a board like that...'cept it looks like a mighty fine ride. I DO notice that you use West System. I use it often for board surface repairs, as my aged FatBob is starting to get a little top-sheet delam. That West System works great...as long as you match the catylist for the correct shop temperature. I usually just end up using whatever catylist number I have on hand for my sailboat repairs.

Also: Where'd you find that great OLD canister vacuum??? Or is that part of some vacuum-molding set-up? That thing looks like it will last FOREVER!! I've had to buy two new shop vacs recently, because either the motor burns out or something else breaks on them. I love OLD tools. Have a 1960 Black & Decker drill with ALL alloy body that belonged to my grandfather and looks to last into NEXT century, and powerful as hell. No planned obsolescence in tools back THEN!!!

By the way....I saw the 10 foot long Alpine board on Bvarsava's photobucket page that was linked to this thread. Ha ha...too funny!!

I wonder what the carving radius on THAT thing is????? a mile?

Seeing that ultra-long board, though, reminds me of my dad's old ski-jumping skis...he used to jump on the equivalent of 30 meter jumps back in his day...but no 60 or 90's. But still, it makes me wonder: has anyone ever heard of anyone ski-jumping on a 60m or 90m with an alpine board???

Not that I would even THINK of attempting it, but just wondering.....

The dynamics of the landing would have to be TOTALLY different of course, and that crazy forward lean would not be necessary (nor possible) on a board.

NSR.... NSX

whats funny is that the NSR always made me think of the NSX... bruce, is that your car? and is there any thing done to it other than the rims?

Yeah, I bought it before I became a full time board builder.

I track it on rare occasion but it has no power adders only moderately upgraded brakes , full coilover suspension along with track tires. Too costly and risky to go FI on it since it is high compression. My rear tires only go about 5000km without any added power:eek: It is aligned for grip and not tire longevity though so that does not help. Tons of fun on twisty roads. Only get to use it about 6 months per year up here. Do all the work on it myself as its my hobby when I'm not immersed in epoxy. Nice to work on a car that does not rust:)

I can't say I know much about a board like that...'cept it looks like a mighty fine ride. I DO notice that you use West System. I use it often for board surface repairs, as my aged FatBob is starting to get a little top-sheet delam. That West System works great...as long as you match the catylist for the correct shop temperature. I usually just end up using whatever catylist number I have on hand for my sailboat repairs.

Also: Where'd you find that great OLD canister vacuum??? Or is that part of some vacuum-molding set-up? That thing looks like it will last FOREVER!! I've had to buy two new shop vacs recently, because either the motor burns out or something else breaks on them. I love OLD tools. Have a 1960 Black & Decker drill with ALL alloy body that belonged to my grandfather and looks to last into NEXT century, and powerful as hell. No planned obsolescence in tools back THEN!!!

Nilfisk indestructible hepa vac Not sure how old but who cares:)

West is good reliable stuff but it is only one of 3 or 4 different resins I use for different purposes.

BTW, that long ski thing had sidecut of infinity, straight as an arrow dowm each side.

BV

Seeing that ultra-long board, though, reminds me of my dad's old ski-jumping skis...he used to jump on the equivalent of 30 meter jumps back in his day...but no 60 or 90's. But still, it makes me wonder: has anyone ever heard of anyone ski-jumping on a 60m or 90m with an alpine board???

Not that I would even THINK of attempting it, but just wondering.....

The dynamics of the landing would have to be TOTALLY different of course, and that crazy forward lean would not be necessary (nor possible) on a board.

Well, this video SORTA answers my question about long-jumping with a board, as that IS a long jump!!!...but still no boarder jumping a 90 meter jump yet.

World's longest snowboard jump....120 feet:

What's AMAZING is that they STICK the landing after such a LONG jump!!

Just a few thoughts as I need to get in some shop time today. Well my legs are toast but I was very happy with the results. Was hoping to get maybe 75 or 80% of what I desired but got closer to 90% so its pretty fun as is. Actually a bit stiff for me despite feeling a bit soft. Before testing I had a sneaky feeling the higher camber would do that. It really grips very well. Conditions were about as hard as you would want to ride. I was golfing for the last few days and the morning I was out was -10C so you just knew it would be solid.

Did back to back tests with a metal Angrry 160 which is a board I quite like.

The glass version definitely transmits substantially more feel which is of course good or bad depending on how old your knees are. When I switched back to the metal I definitely enjoyed the smoother ride. Grip was similar yet different if that makes any sense. The boards flex patterns are quite different due mainly to the hi camber on the glass version and its mid section which is a bit softer to be able to flex into a decent arc. It really tightens the arc when pushed by flexing more in the mid and a nice pop can be had when it releases. The metal having a bit lower camber feels like it tightens more form the ends of the board rather than the middle. When my legs were fresh and technique still good I was very successful at taming most hills on either board. After 2 hrs legs were gone and I did get into a few wild chatters on both but the glass was more susceptible. Almost always on toeside so the stiffer rear sections were not being pressured enough when I got lazy.When you pound turns and can pressure nicely throughout with good technique,they both hold extremely well. The glass version was a little more tricky to draw out a turn farther across the fall line when you could not pressure it as hard so if speed got a bit above where it should be and you were on a steeper real hard section, it was interesting! Found a few softer spots exposed longer to sun and the glass version worked plenty good even at a measly 157 cm without any fore/aft pressure concerns. It was 18.5 compared to the 19 on the metal version so I did boot out on occasion a bit more easily. Rode 59/56 and could have gone a few degrees up yet maybe. In the slightly softer snow you could really tighten up an arc, load it up in the mid and get some nice energy back.

No signs of any stress on it so it appears all should be good. Carbon scratched a bit easy from debris on my boot so a stomp pad would cure that.

All in all a very fun ride which definitely is a unique and more challenging model to tame. Still not too demanding as to make it too tricky of a ride. For me at 185lbs ish and on real firm steeps I would go softer and see how that works out.

Will be sending out west for a few others to try it who have 158 Madd originals so I look forward to their findings.

how did the metal do in terms of snap and pop? You never actually detailed that...

It wasn't really a fair test in regards to that as it was so firm you were pussyfooting to try not to break loose a lot of the time. What feel I did get was not a huge difference, they both needed to be loaded and then you could get some energy back. The glass did mid flex more so seemed to load up better. The metal takes a bit more effort to get some air transisitons and you can load it due to the added trust in its edging but neither was just sit back and get launched. If either tail was stiffer, maybe a bit better to launch but then they'd be too stiff to have much other fun in those conditions. I really want others to comment on that as I have not ridden enough short poppy boards to really compare.

BV