Note to New Members ×

when to clear the quiver of old gear and buy new?

newcarver

When would this be a good thing to do? I have 1 newer board that is an AM/freecarve board. Absolutelly love it for all mnt. Good carver but not great. Have a few other carving/race specific older boards which are fun in there own right. Have older bindings which work well but could probably be better. Think my riding has progressed to a point where it might be best to ride newer equipment to step it up a notch. Should I bite the bullet and sell all my older gear to fund the purchase of a new modern design metal board? Think the boards I want are Donek FC Metal or Metal AX? Would probably be about the limits of my $'s after selling off my older stuff. Also want to try some TD Sidewinder bindings, but could stick with my old SnowPro Race binding for a while. Might have to do this all at the begining of next season since I already ordered an Incline 164 for this season.

When Rebecca and I started carving, we bought, tested, and sold all kinds of used boards (and new ones).

Now we are down to only one custom Coiler each that we replace roughly each year. The board designs are improving so fast that there is a big improvement in each year's board. They are also so versatile that one board (of a well chosen turn radius) is all we need.

I am about to test a Kessler SL courtesy of Hardbooter though. That could complicate things.

( Disclaimer)> I'm NOT an experienced H-booter, but I have give you a parallel with motorcycles which I have a "lot" of experience on.

So let's say you are a recreational carver ( motorcyclist ) who is not into racing, extreme carves, speed , or going 1 or more times a week in winter, with that said once you hop on the latest "ride" you will immediately feel the difference, and fall in love with the new ride ( at less than pro level riding )

Will a new high end ride make you a better rider, maybe , maybe not, that's an individual thing only "You" can answer.

Like the experienced H-boot rider's statements above "the technology keeps changing & getting better each year" and so if you can afford the $ and / or are committed to H-booting as a full time winter recreation the go for it, but if you are not sure weather you are "really into" H-booting then once you demo a high end new board you may very well be disappointed in your older equipment and always long to be on a new ride.

It can be like marriage, the "old lady" is not a hot super model, but she is yours and you know her.

Some times the new stuff is so radical that it is only made for pure racing and not recreational riding.

Myself; I have not come up to the ability level of my new ( 10 yr old) race-carve board, ( You look to be ahead of me on the learning curve ) so myself I wont even try out another new model until I have mastered this one, but I am committed and so next season or two by hook or crook I will be spending a LOT of cash on the new stuff, so then I can tumble & slam into that tree even faster and with a larger smile, lol :eek:

Good advice guys. keep it coming. It will be hard to part with some of my boards as I get rather attached to them :1luvu:. I am on mostly 10 + yrs old tech though. My favorite so far is the Burner. I do have 2 of them, so maybe I'll just have to keep 1 around. I'm on my 3rd season of carving and like it more and more every time I ride. Can't carve specifically as much as I would like since my wife and son like riding off piste. Have adapted my HBs to the AM/FC board for this with great success. I will usually get out by myself some with raceboard and ride till my quads are spent. Wish I could do that more often as it is a ton of fun.

Watch out for them they are NUT'S, lol.

You 1st start out with a pack of matches then BAM you own every pack of free matches from every flea bag motel and night club in the world.

Then you graduate to cigarette lighters, ( Zippos ) then women, then gun's then motorcycle and then it finally all comes crashing down to snowboards.

STOP THE MADNESS.

( group meeting of collector anonymous ) > Hi my name is Steve and I'm board-a-holic", ( group reply ) "Hi-eeeee Steve ":o

all the extra stuff; if you have friends or meet people who are hardboot curious ,you can provide them with the tools to get started. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has done that many times.

Come to think of it,it was Bryan(oldsnowboards.com) who had me ride his Identity 185 when I showed up to OES 07 as long time hardbooter but on a freestyle board with plates.I left there having made a deal on a Coiler 182AM which I still have and is part of a fairly large quiver.

I would demo several metal boards before you buy one if you are thinking of getting one. That way you will know exactly which one you will want to buy. It is good to keep old boards for a rock board and a backup board while another one is in the shop being tuned. Also you might not be able to get much money for older boards so you might as well keep them to ride.If I was going to sell all of my alpine boards right now it would not be enough to fund a metal board. Of course I have several that I bought really cheap and not worth trying to sell. I don't know if I will buy a metal board? I have demoed some and they are nice but I don't think my riding is going to get way better by having one. I don't want to spend the money at this time.

A story of 2 boards. My white 192 Tanker will probably stay with me for quite a while, just because it does so much so well, despite being "ancient", as it were. Last Sunday, I took out my new to me 180 Donek Tucker. WOW, it is so stable at speed, blasts through crud very well, carves nice lines very well, so much better on piste that the Tanker I am suprised. Despite all this, it will probably go on the auction block. Why? Because Donek's tech curve has grown steeply over the last few seasons. I can see this shape tweaked with newer tech, and it would be so much better! Add a bit more taper, decamber the tip/tail, possibly even metal in the mix. It would be almost light years different, yet retain all that is good in the design. That is why the quiver breathes, it changes as you grow and experiment.

Tucker is a large Incline, about 24.3 waist. Very capable carver, though, and torsionally stiff.

There have been many Donek Tucker models over the years... Inclines, FC and Race. I had a 180 GS, 18.5 wide, at one point.

Back on topic, I agree with Bryan... don't sell something you love until it's been replaced in your quiver and in your heart. It's a snowboard not a monogamous relationship :) I've seen many stories of regret. Yes, some boards are fundamentally "better" than others but what matters most is what is right for you.

My message is simple...don't sell ANYTHING you LOVE until you are sure the product you bought is EXACTLY what you are looking for. Often times if the new product is not what you thought it was gonna be you will find yourself longing for your old board that you are used to. ONLY SELL when you know FOR SURE that the new board you just bought is going to be the board you want to ride everyday. I have learned this many times the hard way.

On a similar note...if you find that you need to sell your old gear to buy new gear STOP NOW! Only buy new gear when you can afford to buy it outright. Why? See paragraph above.