Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

The plete worked great on a Burner also. Slow speed handling is much better on the Burner than on the new decks. . . . Plate on Old Glass Deck=:1luvu:

Think Snow!

I have been waiting for the 4X4 plates to be tested. I had a feeling someone would post a review like this.

Personally, I would love to see someone try the combo of:

New VSR sidecut

Traditional camber profile (no decamber)

Metal construction.

moderate amounts or possibly no rubber

Ill be able to come close. Gen 1 Donek metal that I still love (the ones that sounded like a tin can on ice), with the 4X4 plate that I hope is comming my way some time soon.

KEep the posts comming you luck SOB's with snow!

We shot some video yesterday. We all took turns with the camera. I need help stabilizing the follow cam stuff though. You'll see Fin on his plate with one of the spring prototypes and Mark and I rode the Donek 4X4 Plate on some glass boards. I also got in a few runs on my Incline with Catek FRs and Deelux soft boots. Was a great application for soft boot carving. The chopped up snow at the end of the day had that freeride board skipping all over the place, but the plate was rock solid. We got some HD follow cam footage with a droid or iphone on the softies. Hopefully I'll get that footage soon.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esMsRwd--og?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esMsRwd--og?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I got an e-mail from johnasmo today and figured out the follow cam shake reduction. It's no masterpiece, but it should get better with practice.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxQFHgm7iDA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxQFHgm7iDA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

has anyone had any experience with these used as the front sliding assembly.

profile%20bw.jpg

not sure how strong they are but might work good.

the website is http://www.lm76.com/

I don't know of anyone using something like this. It is a bit overkill in that the total travel on these systems is somewhere around 1cm. We allow for a little over 1.5cm, but I think in general the most you will see is 8mm of travel. We have something similar on the dresser for our stone grinder, and I'm not very impressed with the wear. It experiences very small loads, yet seems to wear out long before I would expect it to. It is in a wet abrasive environment though.

Sean is right, I just measured the total travel of our plate test last week and we are hitting a maximum travel right now of 6mm. It is amazing how little the system moves but what a huge difference it makes.

These linear slides in the above picture are pretty cool and precise, but over kill for this. Also, in my design we have steered away from actual ball-bearing for this application. With such low travel and low velocities you do not need a bearing. And actually, when you use a bearing for something like this the races will indent and slop will generate in the bearing due to the bearing only works in one small part of its total travel capacity. You see this in mountain bike rear suspension where the bearing spends its life only turning 6 degrees back and forth.

Any reaction from the locals? I don't think most people will have seen anything like it.

I predict an all-time high for the count of "what is that?" type questions in liftline this year. And they won't just be asking about the plate, they'll think it's a whole new sport.

I predict an all-time high for the count of "what is that?" type questions in liftline this year. And they won't just be asking about the plate, they'll think it's a whole new sport.

Add 4 snow stix, split tip and tail in addition to plate systems and you will know what we have been dealing with for several years. Another thread for sure.

what about stance set-up? I imagine without a board flexing under your feet, your stance feels wider? will I need a new set of cants?

Good point Jack. I would say maybe.

Maybe it would help get your knees out of that old school tucked position too? ;)

I did spread out my stance a bit especially on the Burner primarily cuz I could. Nice to have a bit more leverage over that plank. I pushed my stance out .5 to .75 over what I normally ride on everything that I rode with a plate. I don't think its necessary but it felt like the thing to do after the first few runs on a plate. Felt more comfortable too me.

Think Snow!

Huh? I would think the sensation would be the opposite - that you would be tempted to either narrow your stance or increase cant/lift on a plate. Without a plate, when the board bends, your feet angle towards each other, bringing your knees closer. That won't happen on a plate, so I'd think you would feel like your stance is suddenly too wide....? :confused:

don't think about it so much Jack, plenty of snow out here, grab a flight next week and come on out and see what its all about.

Says the single guy that lives in snow mecca to the family man on the ice coast with little ones :smashfrea

All we can do is THINK ABOUT it dude!! :D

2-3' in the next storm (this week and weekend)

Meanwhile it is working 10 hour days, followed by working at home, followed by working on my days off , you get the idea.

Waiting patiently. Although I would love to ditch everything to join you for a CO pow session followed by a couple weeks of "Carve-O-Rama".

Enjoy!

what about stance set-up? I imagine without a board flexing under your feet, your stance feels wider? will I need a new set of cants?

Jack, it's funny but I was thinking the same thing. When I mounted up my (home-built) plate, my stance was about 1/2" narrower than normal. I just kept thinking the same as you, that the plate will remain flat so my legs won't be coming together as much. Hmm. We'll have to see if Snowman is right. I gotta say, I agree with him on mounting bindings toward the nose on metal boards. I found the exact same thing by trial and error. Time will tell. Now snow, dammit.

You remain much more "static" when on a plate and a wider stance is a more stable stance so if its comfortable why not spread it out.

I agree a wider stance is more stable, but I can't fathom it becoming more comfortable when the platform no longer bends. Guess I'll wait and see, but that makes no sense. I can imagine maybe it becomes more comfortable due to the fact that the feet are experiencing a lot less jarring.

The Swoard guys advocate flat feet (no cants/lifts) and they rationalize it by the fact that the board bends, thereby tilting your feet towards each other. That's not going to be true for them anymore on a plate.

Thanks for the offer... tempting! NGH though.

Huh? I would think the sensation would be the opposite - that you would be tempted to either narrow your stance or increase cant/lift on a plate. Without a plate, when the board bends, your feet angle towards each other, bringing your knees closer. That won't happen on a plate, so I'd think you would feel like your stance is suddenly too wide....?

Hey Jack, interesting discussion.

I understand your reasoning, but I think the oversight you are making is that you are assuming nothing in the plate, binding, boot interface is able to move.

Boot binding interface(s), from flexy F2's to Sidewinders to TD3 stepin's have a certain degree of controlled movement. IMHO this engineered flex will negate a need to change your stance in any big way. I have also read that both Donek and Apex worked to find the right balance between stiffness and flexibility for their plate systems, implying to me that the plates are not 100% flat 100% of the time.

I would further speculate that the plate allows a rider to go faster more often. This is turn will result in a wider stance that creates a wider stronger base of support to compensate for the increase in rider speed.

Cheers

Rob