Note to New Members ×

Alpine Snowboard Plate Systems

www.oldsnowboards.com

Like this one!

Yes it´s true, we have a new plate system, but we wait selling it until the season startet and all others are also on the market!

So then everybody can compare which he likes most! Price will be around 600 to 700 USD!

It will be compatible to UPM pattern and we will on an adaption plate for 4x4!

post-995-141842322292_thumb.jpg

Like this one!

Yes it´s true, we have a new plate system, but we wait selling it until the season startet and all others are also on the market!

So then everybody can compare which he likes most! Price will be around 600 to 700 USD!

Frank, does your plate have a name? Virus Plate?

Is the photo your plate or the Kessler proto type you mentioned?

Thanks for contributing to the thread.

Company----Price----Availabiliy

Tinkler-------500-1K-Now, custom orders

Apex--------1099C$----Now

Donek-------380-----Now-Pre-Ordered (introductory price)

Bomber------UA------Fall*

Oxess------UA------Winter*

Pisst---------UA-----UA

Vist---------550-----Now

Hangl-------650------Now

Raba--------IT-------Now

SGP----------UA-----UA

Kessler------UA------UA

Virus------600-700-----winter

UA = Unannounced or Unavailable

* = Best Guess

IT = Italian only website

Post additional info , I will edit the list as info is added.

Like this one!

ooh a goofy asym. interesting.

Frank, does your plate have a name? Virus Plate?

Is the photo your plate or the Kessler proto type you mentioned?

Thanks for contributing to the thread.

The one of the picture is the Asym plate, it is used now for two years in the junior world championships and European championships.

Now the new one for all symetrical boards we call "full throttle plate"!

Like this one!

Hi Frank. Maybe you can correct me but it looks like your plate is a similar design as the Vist plate?

Hi Frank. Maybe you can correct me but it looks like your plate is a similar design as the Vist plate?

Hi Jack, we also used a black plastic material and alloy for some parts, is it a VIST!? Kessler Plate is also made from this! . The mounting system and the resulting performance is totally different.

Billy Bordy and Dave Tille tried it......ask them if it worked or not.

And yes since 3 Years we are playing with 3 D Asymetrical boards. Which means different edge lenth, different sidecut and different flex from frontside to backside. Unfortunatly our Worldcup rider Markus Ebner broke his ankle 3 month before Olympics....bad luck for him and me!

It´s my favourite freecarving board at the moment and a lots of riders which have tried it get a lot of fun on the slopes!:lurk:

Sometimes i have a difficult time sorting out sarcasm from frankness. Are you thinking asym is back or never left ??? Is Jack M still a daisey if he tries a prototype plate ??? just asking.

Hi lowrider after discussions with few coaches Asym makes sense in the gates and the results we got from comparing Asyms with the common Worldcup boards, speaks for his own. Problem is to get the athletes trying one, because they are hooked on their brands in mind mostly!:smashfrea ( that`s it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there comes the name " Hammerhead" from!:biggthump)

And if a board from a manufacturer wins, its the board so the athlete needs exactly this and is not looking for may be something different ( I don´t want to say better, because it depends on the riding style)!

But if we want to have a progression of our sport, sometimes somebody has to go different ways, like we did it about 20 years ago when I built the first fully asymetrical board on the market.

How do we call it!? Back to future?

I thought Hooger Booger built the first asym?

I like daisies.

I think a lot of people were working on it at the same time. I built my first asym alpine board in 1991 It holds up the wall in my basement.

1010082706_dhhGu-L.jpg

I made an earlier asym for softboots though. Can't remember what happened to it. It might be in the shed with all the others. maybe I should do a little video on how Donek started and some of those early boards. Man, what a way to hijack a thread. I've got too many things to do.

I think a lot of people were working on it at the same time. I built my first asym alpine board in 1991 It holds up the wall in my basement.

1010082706_dhhGu-L.jpg

I made an earlier asym for softboots though. Can't remember what happened to it. It might be in the shed with all the others. maybe I should do a little video on how Donek started and some of those early boards. Man, what a way to hijack a thread. I've got too many things to do.

I did the first in 1987/1988 season it was the VIRUS X, the first model we built a small series! We also sold it as DURET F 40 for my friends who did the Duret distribution in Germany!

Sean, may be you have been the first in the US, no problem!

I think it doesn´t matter who was the first!

When you refer to "different edge and sidecut" do you mean the scr is not the same for each side or just set back with reference to toeside, heel side (leading edge trails on heel side). Is asym plate hardware to follow? This one is going to be a real headache!!!! :confused:

Different sidecuts radii on front and backside!

For freecarving I ride the board without plate, for me its more fun to feel the livelyness of the board!

I did the first in 1987/1988 season it was the VIRUS X, the first model we built a small series! We also sold it as DURET F 40 for my friends who did the Duret distribution in Germany!

It doesn't matter. I've met a number of guys who thought they were. Everyone was so isolated back then, doing their own thing. You'd hear rumors about some new idea and start working on it.

Kudos to Sean and Frank! I love this walk down memory lane. The first Asym I rode was a Kemper (funny as my last name is Kemp, and "Kemper" was my nickname). Honestly I never got the hang of asyms. So be it.

As far as Sean's board, not only do you need the "rock on" horns to ride it, but you need a hardcore neon one-piece suit and Oakley blades. Shakka!

Kudos to Sean and Frank! I love this walk down memory lane. The first Asym I rode was a Kemper (funny as my last name is Kemp, and "Kemper" was my nickname). Honestly I never got the hang of asyms. So be it.

As far as Sean's board, not only do you need the "rock on" horns to ride it, but you need a hardcore neon one-piece suit and Oakley blades. Shakka!

I only had one Asym, a PJ. It used to drive me nuts the way you could only lean the board up against a corner, since it had no square tail to support it symmetrically.

Thought I'd put this in the plate thread (as well as OT) as it's relevant.

Apparently Fischer came out with it about four years ago. Google turns up nothing for the US. Looks like there are sliding hinges at both ends, with the center fixed, but able to rise upwards as the ski flexes. Also some springs to dampen the movement.

post-340-14184232241_thumb.jpg

I just saw Sean’s presentation of his plate on Donek web page. It looks impressive, but it still does not answer my two main questions. What will happen if mechanisms freeze together or get packed with snow? How it will work if you bend the board so much that it will touch end of the plate. Just look some of the pictures of free carvers published here. The bend of the board is limited by space between board and plate and dimensions of the plate. It was interesting when Sean talked about stand width and dead space of the board. So if you make your stand wider, what is almost official policy here on Bomber (you know thoze zepareted kneezz), you also increase unbendable part of your board. Did I just reopen can of worms?

Personally I think I will wait, when the situation with various plates clears to some extend and there will be some kind of agreement on mounting scheme. Now your board can be like Swiss cheese, full of holes. I rather put money towards new Virus instead.;)

Ladia contact John H on this forum i have made him a custom plate for his Virus Cyborg. See what his views are. I don't want to speek for anyone else but i think it's pretty cool ! It's a Shred Design as well !!!:biggthump.If you search this post i think you will find a picture of it. And it's 4x4 mount not swiss cheese. I am working on an asym plate UPM mount. AS far as plate contacting board, on the virus i think your weight would have to exceed 600lbs. but on other more flexable boards the nose thins out at the front and rear to accomodate board flex check out Shreds post of his plate.