Note to New Members ×

A Classic

OhD

Check out this instructional (?) video. http://www.trails.com/video_342_carve-snowboard.html

Our hero encounters exactly two other people on a pitch and manages to buzz both of them (the second instance isn't so bad but the first one is pretty dumb). Must be keeping an eye on the mirror... or maybe he's just not used to riding in such a crowd!

"That's Carving"

I think a "reply" video of "That's Carving" would be fun. ?? <div><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://cdn-www.expertvillage.com/player.swf?flv=snowboarding-advanced-techniques-carving" id="ev_player" width="491" height="424" ><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://cdn-www.expertvillage.com/player.swf?flv=snowboarding-advanced-techniques-carving" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /></object><p><a href="http://www.trails.com/video_342_carve-snowboard.html" target="_blank">How to Carve on a Snowboard</a> - Courtesy of Trails.com</p></div>

He seems so pleased with himself though.

He sure does.

I think he was having an "I'm on video" moment with the other riders.

In fairness to him though, that video is not made for us and it is good to see any decent introduction to carving video for beginners.

Even I know that's not carving and I have only been hard-booting for only 11 outings.

But I appreciate his enthusiasm, I think he was so into trying to film & concentrate that he had "blinders" on.

He should have had a few other folks mare familiar with carving look at his video and give feedback, it lacked content about the necessary equipment.

Even I know that's not carving and I have only been hard-booting for only 11 outings.

He is absolutely carving. It is low angle and on softboots, but he is definitely carving. Look at his track when the angle of the camera is right, they are carved tracks. The tracks don't lie.

True though, the title is misleading. There was nothing in the video about how to carve.

Better than your average jibber, at low speed anyway... he leaves a carve.

But when he picks up speed the small sidecut on his lunch tray makes it all go to hell.

Kind of like cornering a VW bus over 50 mph.

Where do you see anything going to hell? :confused:

Granted, it's on squeaky CO snow, but it always looks controlled, even when he almost hit the snowboarder. The spray means he either feathered the edge and started carving again or did a quick radius change. I'd not be proud after such a stupid move, but he did correct rather well.

He's ducked out and on a Burton Custom that can't be more than 160cm; can't expect him to be dragging hips.

Where do you see anything going to hell? :confused:

Seriously??

The party was over when he stopped riding his edges. He could have bled off some speed by going uphill and then continued the slower controlled 7 meter or whatever dicing carves that he was doing pretty well...Those scuffed turns are freaking white bread. Who cares if he drops the hip either? Just edge the damn board.

WTF is with all the softboot nonsense this year?

Trolls, all of you.

To me, there is a speed control component to carving that can't really be demonstrated on a easy trail. Sure he may have made a few turns where he was up on his edge, big deal. You can fake it on a flat trail because you won't get going that fast. The last turn he makes back up to the camera is about the only one that looks worthy.

Seriously??

The party was over when he stopped riding his edges. He could have bled off some speed by going uphill and then continued the slower controlled 7 meter or whatever dicing carves that he was doing pretty well...Those scuffed turns are freaking white bread. Who cares if he drops the hip either? Just edge the damn board.

WTF is with all the softboot nonsense this year?

Trolls, all of you.

I still don't see what you're talking about... At what point do you see this?

What's wrong with you guys? This kind of thing should be encouraged, not trashed.

This is an instructional video for soft boots, for begginers, and it serves that purpose very well. It meets riding standards (for that level) of CASI and I belive AASI. His stance is good, turn anticipation by small rotation is there, angulation is there, initiation in the lower body is there, he's in control all the time, even when he foolishly goes close to another rider.

He doesn't ride very high edge angle and so what? Would you expect a begginer to drag his knee/hip right away? No? Ok, then you don't ride that way when demonstrating...

Why do some of you feel the need to be elitist pricks? So he's not in hardboots. Whoopdedoo.

He is carving. Nothing dynamic, but he is on edge. And doing what the video intended: showing people what carving on a snowboard looks like.

And Steve, yes, that is carving.

I agree - his riding is pretty clean and proficient, and one wouldn't expect to see laid out turns given the pitch and speed. My gripes were that he doesn't have much of any value to say in terms of "how to", and his navigating leaves a lot to be desired. Otherwise, it was a nice demo of what someone might want to learn at the Aspen school, so as a little marketing teaser it's probably just what was wanted.

He had to make a little out-of-rhythm turn to avoid the second close encounter, probably because the skier did something unexpected. At their relative speeds, he should have been far enough away that the little turn wouldn't have been necessary, IMHO. It's probably a good thing he's good enough to throw a little last moment turn whenever needed, every time....

It's perfectly possible to pull a fully laid-out turn in softboots, as long as you don't have any overhang. THere aren't many boards wide enough to handle big feet at reasonable duck-stance angles, which is another reason you don't see many people riding in hard bumps. Booting out every time you cross the bottom side of a mogul gets pretty frustrating, and unless you have stout boot toes, painful.

What's wrong with you guys? This kind of thing should be encouraged, not trashed.

This is an instructional video for soft boots, for begginers, and it serves that purpose very well. It meets riding standards (for that level) of CASI and I belive AASI. His stance is good, turn anticipation by small rotation is there, angulation is there, initiation in the lower body is there, he's in control all the time, even when he foolishly goes close to another rider.

He doesn't ride very high edge angle and so what? Would you expect a begginer to drag his knee/hip right away? No? Ok, then you don't ride that way when demonstrating...

+1 Well said BlueB

At least this guy was actually carving, not like this one I'm sure many of us remember...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WennXcKYfHk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WennXcKYfHk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>